Message from TripAdvisor:

Review of The Palace Resort

The Palace Resort
Ranked #83 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This Palace resort and its service ruined our four day Myrtle Beach vocation. Made reservations three months ago, the hotel looked so great on the internet, but what a farce!
In the beginning everything was ok, we got a condo #1011 – it was a nice one bedroom one, the furniture and appliances were updated, the condo was clean, well decorated, overall it was a great place to stay. We did notice that the carpet was wet around the bedroom and living room doors, but though it was from the carpet cleaning and will dry. In a few hours, the wet spots actually got bigger and damper expanded toward closet and living room. We called the front desk, they sent a maintenance man to check it out and he kept asking if we spilled something on the floor. He vacuum the water and left. An hour later the water on the carpet was back. Carpet was flooded. We called again, the front desk lady named Julie said she can do nothing; the maintenance man was gone home. It was around 10:30 pm. So we went down to the desk and asked for another condo. She gave us keys for two to look at. The first had not been cleaned from the last people, and another was with old filthy furniture and just one old 19”TV. We went back and told her the condos are unacceptable…she said the rooms in the resort are individually owned and she is not able to accommodate us. After we told her we would not take it, she gave us another key to condo #2011. This condo looked a little better than others so we did not have any choice but to take it. Then we noticed the dirty spotty carpet, the broke down mattress in the bedroom, the dresser without nobs, the peeled old bathroom sink and walls. We moved our staff from #1011 to #2010 at 11 pm without anyone to offer us any help. Once this resort gets your money you are on your own – no customer service at all.
We weren’t able to enjoy our stay at this resort after this bitter experience. We will never ever come back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Palace Resort

Reviewed 30 May 2012

I have made two trips to the Palace Resort and enjoyed them both greatly. The Palace Resort is a fantastic and romantic place to stay in Myrtle Beach. I really enjoy staying at the Palace Resort. The employees at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. The room I stayed in was fantastic and the view was fabulous. I enjoyed the breakfasts and the lounge as well as the trip to the pool and the beach. I highly recommend!

Jim, Kansas City, Missouri

Room Tip: I understand that all the rooms have different owners and I stayed in 1011. It was absolutely beaut...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

A few months ago when I came on to this site to look at the reviews for this resort I was a bit concerned, however I kept in mind what my mom always told me....you can't always go by what other people say. I am glad I kept this in mind. Not down rate anyone else’s experience with this resort but my friend and I just visited this resort last weekend (we were celebrating my birthday) and we had a great experience. The suite we stayed in was very nice (and clean). The kitchen had all of the regular appliances that one would find in a kitchen (stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator etc.) plus the owner left a toaster, dishes (plates, glasses, bowels), silverware, pots (I think there was even a pan in there), tea bags, and dishwashing detergent. The restroom came with everything a hotel restroom should have plus shaving cream, shampoo, shower caps, and hair dryer. The sofa was comfortable and my friend said she slept well on it (it pulled out into a queen sized sofa bed). The queen sized bed was slightly hard when I first sat on it but when I laid back on it I was fine and I slept well on it for three nights in a row. Room service was great...they cleaned our room everyday and made sure we had fresh clean towels every day. In fact they even remade the bed after I had already made it every morning before leaving.
When I came on this site before visiting this resort I read horror stories about the facility and the service. I must say that my friend and I did not experience any of these things during our stay at this resort. The free breakfast every morning was warm and tasted great. My friend's only complaint was that they served the same thing every day and they didn't have anything she wanted, but she said she couldn't complain because it was free. I understood how she felt about the eating the same thing every morning, however there was a variety but perhaps not enough to suite the desires of every customer (there was a variety of milk and cereal, eggs, sausage, breakfast potatoes, biscuits, a variety of fruit, coffee, apple juice, orange juice, and I think they even had pancakes or waffles...I can't remember which one it was because I didn't eat it).
As for the overall look of the facility...there is no denying that this facility is an older building and may need a few minor renovations but it is certainly not the horrific eyesore that has been portrayed in some of the reviews. The wall paper in the lobby could stand to be redone (But who goes on a vacation caring about something like this unless they are on their honeymoon?) The pool and jacuzzis were both open and clean. In fact, I remember being asked to move to another jacuzzi a couple of times so that the maintenance people could clean the jacuzzi and refill the water to the proper level. I thought this was great because it means the resort cares about the sanitation of their pool and jacuzzis as well as the comfort of their customers (After all who wants to swim or sit in a dirty pool or jacuzzi?) My only complaint regarding this place is more so on the side of the customers...the elevators run slow at times (there are about 25 floors in this resort so I would expect them to be super fast) but what makes them run slower is that some people don't supervise their children and let them punch the buttons on the elevator. While we were there some children I punched all of the buttons on the elevator before getting off and when we got on the elevator it stopped at every floor before we got to our floor. I fault the parents or guardians for this because they should have been supervising their children or at least have taught them better than this. It almost happened again with another lady and her child but she grabbed her child's hand told him no (I'm glad there are people who are teaching their children right from wrong).
I almost forgot….the elevator for the parking garage ran extremely slow. The only time this was a problem for us was when it was cold outside (like it was the first night we arrived) and when we had to go to the restroom. Other than these couple of times we didn’t see this at something to grip about. Also I noticed that another person that recently visited this resort mentioned the construction that was going on in the parking garage. There was construction going on when we went visited last weekend however, I saw this as good thing because this means the hotel was improving things that need to be fixed. I personally feel like all places undergo construction or renovations at some point (including five star hotels), plus the environment in the parking garage didn’t seem to be dangerous.
Whether or not one should take a chance and stay at this resort is a matter of perspective. If you are planning on a family vacation or a getaway with friends and no one in your group is extremely high maintenance then I suggest you try this resort. If you are planning on coming here for a honeymoon or an anniversary vacation then you might want to rethink this because this is definitely more of a family resort (children are quite prevalent at this resort) plus as I stated before some of the decor is outdated (for a family vacation or a getaway with friends one might not have a problem with this but some people probably wouldn't like this for a honeymoon or anniversary). If you would like to view some of the hotel before making your decision please feel free to check out the pictures that I took last weekend (May 18-21, 2012….I am still not as savvy as I should be with my new digital camera so the date on these digital pictures might not be correct).

Room Tip: This hotel offers various types of suites most if not all are oceanfront or angle oceanfront (we had...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank LadyGDecatur_GA
Reviewed 28 May 2012

At one time this may have been a Palace, but that ship has sailed. I would say this resort was built in the early 80's and they have not done any updates since then. Stayed Sun Suite, room was very out dated and run down. Hotel staff knows the place is a dump because they offer to let you look at the room before you even check-in. The entire location has a musty smell, room was clean but very dingy and run down. Would not recomment to anyone, too many other options in Myrtle Beach. The one nice thing about this location were the views (If you can fit on the 2' by 2' deck.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MDL1492
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Made reservations for 4 Adults. The room they gave us was not even big enough for 2 adults, let alone 4. The pull out sofa was up against the bed, and the bed was shoved into a cubby hole. Had a heck of a time going to bathroom and not disturbing other 3. Slow elevators, and even slower staff. Can't say I won't try them again, but it will have to be one of one remaining hotels for me to even consider. This was one vacation we couldn't wait to GO HOME. Being cramped up like that for 7 days/nights was the pits.
They did clean room every day, and the staff was cheerful, but slow.

Room Tip: If you want a room with ROOM, look elswhere. If your into being boxed up like a sardine, this is the...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JeffRoe1954
Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

Our first time to Myrtle beach and sadly we decided on this hotel! First of all the pictures on their website are clearly out dated if the hotel even looked like that at all. I liked the fact of having our own kitchen. The pool was like a yellow color lookingike everyone whose ever been in it peed. Our bed was disgusting and I didn't want to sleep on it. I refused to go barefoot on the floor! Sitting on our balony barely happened because cockroaches took it over. nEVER again

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Acstylist09
Reviewed 24 May 2012

we had a group of 4 in the 1 bedroom condo... first off when we arrived we noticed they were doing work in the parking garage and there were boards and tools everywhere, once we walked into the hotel the staff were very nice and got us into our room but once we walked into our room which was on the 18th floor we noticed there was no flat screen tvs which we added in the reservation and talked to someone who said 98% of the rooms had flat screens but since we only stayed 2 days we didnt bother with changing rooms.. a plus to the room was it was a gorgeous view and it also shows in the picture the kitchen has granite counters the room we stayed in did not. the pool outside wasnt great but ok and the hottub on the 22nd floor was in the middle of the rooms everyone could walkout there room and see you. and also they say they have put put its more like a practice course. also the 2 days we were there maid service didnt come 1 time to ask if we needed anything and we ran into a lady in the elevator who said watch out for bugs in the bed.... and the elavators to the parking garage were very slowww. when we were got there it wasnt that busy but wednesday bikers started coming so i suggest if your a family dont go on biker week cause you hear them all night long. so overall the view was great but dont let the pics fool you they are desieving so i wouldnt stay here again ive stayed at alott of places this to be a hotel not a motel as a big let down

Room Tip: for familys not a good place if you single and just dont care about good hotel great for you was a b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends