“Staff nice, but needs a little something”

Residence Inn Charleston Airport
Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Admittedly, after staying two nights at the Wentworth Mansion downtown, anything would be a letdown. We had three rooms, all courtesy of Marriott's stay two nights get one free. We chose this property because of this fact, and it was near the airport (five minutes away) for an early morning flight.

Typical Residence Inn in many ways, clean and comfortable. We had reserved three one bedroom units, though we were given two and one studio. However, the safe in the studio would not open and I had to call twice to get someone to come up. The Asst. Mgr. who did come up was very gracious, but she could not get it open. She moved me to a one bedroom down the hall which where the safe worked.

The walls between rooms are somewhat thin and I heard things on both sides of my room. There was also a drip, drip, drip during the night which I thought was my sink but was actually the toilet in the next room..

Breakfast in the morning was usual fare though the staff was very nice.

Cheers.

Marius

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Marius40

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I am assuming this is either an older property or just cheaply built. I stayed here from late March thru April 9th 2012. My overall stay as far as comfort and cleanliness were fine. Nice property and nice looking but it didn't have that Marriott feel. For one, the rooms were noisy. These are suite rooms so each room is equipped with a full sized refrigerator with ice maker. Each time the fridge made new ice, it was so loud. From the sound of the water refilling, to the crashing noise it made when it dumped the ice. The air conditioner in my room was also very loud. Based on the thermostat I had it set to, it would randomly shut itself off and on like your typical system, except much louder. Every time it turned on, I would have to adjust the volume on my television to very loud in order to hear it, then it would shut off and I would make a mad dash for the remote control in order to turn the television volume down quickly because it would be turned up extremely loud in order for me to be able to hear the tv. The toilet was also very, very loud to the point that I didn't flush late at night so as not to disturb other guests sleeping. Whenever I flushed during the day, it made it's initial loud swish but then, while it refilled the back tank, it made a loud humming noise, so loud that I found myself looking in the back of the toilet to see if I can make some sort of adjustment myself and I am not mechanically inclined at all. Whenever a guest walked past my room at the normal walking pace, it sounded like a giant was walking the halls. There would be loud banging footsteps although their pace was normal. I found myself trying to tip toe because of how heavy my footsteps felt while walking the halls. On top of it all, the front desk always seemed under staffed. There was always the same woman, a very polite woman, working alone, trying to handle everything herself. I had to go to the front desk one day to get information on mailing a package and it took me 30 minutes to get to the counter, although there were only 3 people ahead of me. That is because she was trying to handle everything on her own...booking reservations, answering the phone, talking on the Walkie talkie to housekeeping! She was obviously overwhelmed. The morning breakfast was simply okay...the typical powdered, watery scrambled eggs, cereal, waffles, yogurt and different sides for your eggs like grits, potatoes, pancakes or biscuits and sausage. The food was not very good at all as far as taste but it hit the spot! It was free so no complaints but this was not your typical Marriott breakfast with the omelette station, bacon, fresh fruit, oatmeal with all the toppings which is what I initially expected when they told me it was free breakfast. There was also a cocktail hour which I went to once. They served a red and white wine and had one tap of Bud Light where you can serve yourself. They also served extremely rationed out food like salad and pizza. I say rationed because they would bring out small amounts of food at at time so every time they brought out more, people would jump back in line in order to get their share. The wireless connection was really bad. I was situated on the 4th floor and down the hall towards the back of the hotel so basically i was too far from the front desk. I had no connection at all. I gave up on trying to use my ipad and simply used my cell phone, which was also quite slow, in order to use the internet. We also had a power outage for maybe two or three hours. Turns out there was an accident nearby which knocked out the power on the entire block...no fault of the hotel. Now with all this being said, I still don't want to make it seem as if I had a horrible stay. I simply wanted to point out the things that made it less than pleasant. My bed was amazing, there was a flat screen tv in my room, my room was clean and quite large, the water pressure was nice, the fact that there was a full kitchen was nice because I was able to buy grocery for my ten day stay. There was a pool and the lobby area was pretty and cozy. In the area there was a few decent restaurants. I would suggest you eat at the Jim and Nicks BBQ place nearby because the food was wonderful! A Mall, Starbucks, and great Chinese restaurant( Shiang Xiu was the name...i think) are also near by and a restaurant called La Hacienda served the biggest beers I have ever seen in my life. Overall, the stay was okay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank charmelly
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stay at many Marriott properties and quite a few (20) Residence Inns and can say that this is the worst Residence Inn I have ever stayed in. The staff were friendly enough but could not seem to address service issues (sticking door, msg waiting light continuing to flash). Beds were OK and room reasonable clean but for the price I think one can do better. The managers reception was pathetic as they had one type of soup, a basic salad and (lettuce, tomatoes, croutons, dressing), flat soda products (not sure what was going on there) and beer/wine. No dessert unless you count the cookies that they shame you into paying for because they indicate donations are for charity. Another major complaint: cooking smells in the hallways from long term guests were very obnoxious. Why people fry fish in hotel rooms I will never know.

Room Tip: Get a room on the highest floor possible at the end of a hall to try and avoid the sounds and smells...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank AGoingGal
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We just spent a night at the hotel. The staff were so kind, but the hotel is a little worn and dirty (like the carpets) In addition, our shower was really, really hot and we could not turn it colder. Other issues included a broken soda machine during the evening snack, no juice for breakfast. The location was near the airport and the staff was so kind that we can overlook the little issues.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Amoral
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The was my second stay at this Residence Inn. Thing were much improved on this trip. They have recently undergone a renovation and the rooms are now very refreshing. You can tell that they didn't update the appliances or the bed. Everything else seems great and I don't really minde that the refridgerator, microwave, dishwasher are older. They all work and the bed is comfortable enough.

I was greated by almost all the employees I passed when I checked in and walking to my room. I was recognized at check-in for being a Platinum member but no arrival gift. Even a just bottle of water would have been nice.

The best part of my stay was the manager's reception. Free wine and beer and they also had pizza delivered from a local pizza company. Nice. I've been to a few Residence Inn's and never had pizza before. Almost makes up for the lack of a arrival gift. Almost.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HubbyChubby
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed at the Residence Inn Charleston Airport for a weekend in August 2011. I have to say that it was one of the best stays I've ever had. My girlsfriends and I were there for a weekend of shopping, and the hotel was located right across the street from the Tanger Outlet. It also didn't take us long to ge tott eh Market form our hotel. We were in a two bedroom suite. It served our purposes well! The beds were comfy, and the kitchen and living room made it easy for us to sit around and enjoy our room between shopping trips. The breakfast was awesome, and check in/check out were easy. I plan on going again this year!

Room Tip: Higherend room was great!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Libbie67
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Beautiful Hotel, Great Location with a wonderful receptionist, Bobbie Joe who was exceptionally pleasant and accommodating. Although construction was going on, it was still rather quiet. The only major problem we had for the exception of the rude housekeeper who couldn't read the do not disturb sign throughout our stay was that the shower was cold during the day, that was probably due to the construction because the water was hot at night. I also met another great employee, I believe her name was Vondelle, not very sure, she was willing to go out of her way to help me plan a birthday surprise. Great staff, all around to include maintenance and ladies that prepared breakfast. All were very professional. The only negative experience I encountered was the maid that knocked on the door around noon to ask me what time was I going to be ready for her to clean my room so she can go home. Yes, I did find it very rude considering that we had a do not disturb sign on our door and she did this 2 days in a row.
Other than that Great Stay at a Great Hotel in a Great Location!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JaeJae15
Dawn W, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your stay at the Residence Inn Charleston Airport. I am fully aware that you have many choices in hotels, and we are grateful you have taken the time to inform us of the experience at our hotel. We will review your concerns with the appropriate staff member (s), and I will be sure to share your positive comments with Bobbi Jo, Vonnetta and our entire breakfast crew. They are the reason our guests continue to return, the service is outstanding. We welcome the opportunity of serving you again.