“Clean & nothing special”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The price was good, breakfast was just basic. There was nothing special about this place, but we slept well and went on with our journey.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Despite some iffy reviews, we chose to stay at this hotel because of an excellent deal available through one of the travel websites. (Significantly cheaper than the hotel's own website, by the way.). The location is not bad at all, just off the interstate that leads west out of Charleston, and in an area that has restaurants, stores, etc. It was not at all noisy outside, nor did it seem unsafe.

We found that the hotel was clean, both in public areas and in our room. Our beds and bed linens were very comfortable, and the bathroom was spacious and well-lit. The check-in was fast and efficient, and our overnight stay was without problems. I did note that the floors between rooms must be wood, rather than cement, since I could hear footsteps from above. A stay on the top floor would remedy this problem, as others have noted.

Our biggest and most pleasant surprise was the breakfast buffet. The food was tasty and fresh, and constantly replenished. The woman working there (Jesel) was probably the single best worker of this sort that we've encountered. She was pleasant to everyone, had a great and welcoming smile, and kept the entire area SPOTLESS. After seeing a wide range of customer service representatives all around the world, we know what's good and what's not. Jesel was responsible for creating a very good impression in the eyes of many holiday visitors. I hope that other TripAdvisor members will take note of this positive and honest review. I hope that hotel managers who read this will recognize the value that just one good employee can have (as well as understanding how one bad apple can damage the entire enterprise).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Bonbonmontreal
Reviewed 11 November 2011

This hotel needs new mattresses, bed was most uncomfortable. Breakfast service was not the best. At 8 AM they said all the fruit have been served and there isn't any more. Also they have no more complimentary newspaper. Staff has terrible attitude.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Good weekend stay. Would stay again. Breakfast was OK. Parking good. Lbath in our room. Daily housekeeping. courteois staff.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We used rewards points to book two nights in this hotel. Upon entering the hotel lobby, at first glance it is very colorful and pleasant. Upon closer examination, the furniture in the lobby was very dirty and worn. The entire hotel has a smell of a deodorizer, which was not offensive at all. I rather liked the scent. Our room was nice, spacious and clean. My biggest problem with this hotel came late in the evening on both nights of our stay. Around 9:30 at night in one of the rooms above us, either directly or one over, it absolutely sounded like a herd of elephants had arrived and were doing cartwheels across the room. Apparently this was a family with small children who weren't ready to call it a night. For at least an hour all I heard was stomping and jumping and what sounded like big foot walking back and forth across the floor. It was horrible!! I contemplated calling the front desk but I didn't because I thought maybe I was being a nag and it was just that the construction of the building did not provide good sound absorption in the rooms. And I had hoped they would settle down quickly. The next night about the same time it was the same situation. I would probably stay again but I would ask for a room on the top floor! And I would definitely complain next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room if you don't like noise!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Charleston, it turns out, is very pricey on weekends! This hotel is about 25 mins drive to Charleston proper. We stayed 28 Jul 11 and check in was easy and friendly, the room clean and comfortable, the bathroom large and everything smelled nice. Seems to be popular with families. We paid 99 USD plus tax for 1 night. I'd have no problems staying here again. Think the negative review issues below have been rectified or there has been new hotel management / refurbishment

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank HereOnHols
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I recently stayed for work at this hotel. It was wonderful, every staff member from front desk, to maintenence, to housekeeping and beyond was extremely nice, they always greeted me with a smile and a good morning/afternoon or whatever time of day it was. When my stay got extended by my job, it was very simple to get a new reservation and check Back in. The room was spacious and met my needs, all except more outlets or better access to outlets would be an improvement to the room I was in.. otherwise it was a very comfortable stay. I will be staying again this next week, again for business. And I look forward to using this hotel or sister properties in the future!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank NurseTete
fowler62, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charleston North/University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this kind review. We trake great pride in our hotel and the hardworking staff. I'm sorry to hear you have been having a problem with outlet access in your room. Next time you are staying with us, let us know and we can get you an extension cord/power strip. Thanks again, and we look forward to having you stay with us in the future.