“We Weren't Impressed”

Cuisines: American, German, Bar
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We went here with a large group (10 people). I ordered the fried pork chop special. Although the chops were very large, they did not have much flavor. In addition, they were fairly greasy as well. The selection of side dishes was very limited...and if you are trying to eat healthy, this place should be avoided at all costs. There are no salads or light items of any kind available at all. The service was very mediocre, and we found ourselves waiting for drink refills, etc. Overall, this was a disappointment, and we don't plan to go back.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

We have eaten here two years in a row because it does represent German Food very well. We travelled in Germany and ate at many local gasthauses, sampled the local beer and food. The place is popular so it is recommended that you get a reservation. The décor is a bit dated, service is good and the food is tasty.

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

I ordered the jagerschnitzel expecting a large breaded peice of pounded pork instead my with and I received pork chops. I told her where we are from schnitzel is always breaded. She argued a bit but eventually we received the proper food and it was very good.

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to many places in Germany and this place is no authentic German restaurant. Meat was dry. The ran out of spetzle and the strudel was all bread. The music guy chatted with people all night and never played once from 830 to close, and this was on a Saturday night. Locals warned me but I still went with my mother who is from Germany and it was a joke. The one in south Myrtle is by far the best. Don’t waste your time at this place.

Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

We hadn't visited Horst Gasthaus in a few years and enjoyed our return this month for some great Bavarian food. I ordered the Holstein Schnitzel which is a breaded veal cutlet topped with a fried egg, capers, and anchovies. Very rich and filling, served with home fries and red cabbage. The portions are huge and we all left with next day's lunch. Always recommended.