We spent the winter of 2011/2012 as Snowbirds for the four months from Dec to Mar. We had made reservations at another property in Myrtle Beach but when they increased the monthly rent for Mar by 250% from the Dec and Feb monthly rent, we cancelled and started an Internet search for another property. The Ocena family of properties caught our eye and we completed the arrangements over the Internet without a problem per se.
We arrived a day early for our reservation dates but the staff very quickly made the necessary adjustments and we moved into our 2BR/2Bath condo within minutes. Throughout our stay, the front desk staff continued to provide this high level of service.
The pictures of the condo did not do the unit justice. We found the rooms much larger than anticipated with all the necessary facilities for light housekeeping. The kitchen storage and the bedroom drawer space is a bit tight for a long term guest but useable. As long term guests we only got weekly housekeeping service but his was more than adequate for our needs. We liked the idea that all the service and utilities were included in the monthly rate.
The audio visual equipment needs upgrading as the 3 TVs are CRT models and there is no DVD player or PVR. In fairness, there were indications that the property is upgrading to flat screens. Having the option of both wired and wireless Internet access in the unit was a security bonus.
My biggest disappointment related to their reservation and billing system and software. Apparently, the system can only handle 90 days at a time which meant that in effect we had two reservation numbers. While it may seem a minor irritant one would think an organization offering monthly rates could handle more than 90 days.
An associated issue is financial in nature. The organization requires full payment including taxes in advance even though as an extended visitor exceeding 90 days, we are not required to pay certain taxes and fees. Properties we have stayed in previously in South Carolina adjust the charges at check-in. The reason management provided about they would have to pay the taxes if we skipped out early is not realistic considering the fact they have a valid credit card number. We are still not sure if and when or how we will get the tax refund we are due. It seems we have to trust management but management does not trust us.
I cannot over emphasis how helpful the in-house staff was during our stay. They are a definite asset to the property.
In spite of the reservation issue, we have booked again for the 2012/2013 winter.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our quaint North Myrtle Beach hotel features spacious suites featuring one, two or three bedrooms, each with a living area, kitchen and private balcony. Harbourgate offers amenities such as an outdoor pool deck, an outdoor hot tub, nearby dining, and complimentary wireless Internet access. Take advantage of our prime location on the Intracoastal Waterway for deep-sea sport fishing, cruises, jet-ski rentals and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Cancelon, Travelocity.ca, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Harbourgate Resort & Marina, Oceana Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbourgate Resort & Marina, Oceana Hotel North Myrtle Beach
- Harbourgate Resort And Marina, Oceana Resorts
- Harbourgate Hotel Marina