“Needs to be updated”

Castaway Beach Inn
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in North Myrtle Beach
“Needs to be updated”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

This was our first time stayin at this hotel. The rooms need to be updated asap. Our room was in an excellent location as we overlooked the lazy river. Beautiful view of the ocean as well. We were able to check in early which was a plus for us! The air conditioner was great. The bathtub appeared as if it were coming away from the wall and the floor in the bathroom was coming up. There was mold on the shower curtain and the shower head was made for midgets!! All of that is not a big deal though. The beds were very comfortable. Like I stated, the rooms needs to be updated and some repairs need to be done. I will probably stay here again due to the location. All staff were friendly

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank chesneegal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Worthington WV
Reviewed 21 June 2011

First the pluses, the pool and lazy river were nice. The price of the rooms were very affordable. The room came with two beds a stove, fridge, microwave, and dishes and silverware. Beds and pillows were comfortable. No towels when I got there. I went to the desk and asked for towels. They said they would bring them up. Still no towels. Had to go back again the next day to get towels. Also the shower curtain had mildew around the top by the rings. The deadbolt on the door would not turn all the way over into the door jam. The door would still lock and had a pretty good lock but still why have the deadbolt if it didn't work. Each room has a window A/C. The one in my room had the cover off of it and it was laying on top of the fridge. The curtains looked really old and picked. Still all in all it was a pretty good place to stay if you want to stay right on the beach, have a pool and not pay an arm and a leg. Also the staff were all nice. I'd recommend it but don't expect the Taj Mahal. The place could use a little bit of upgrading but it was fine for my stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank DoctorZom
Carthage, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We have just returned from vacation and stayed at this motel. We planned for this vacation hoping for some much needed rest and relaxation. When we walked into our room we immediately knew we had made a huge mistake. We knew that the motel was an older, family owned place but it was very run-down and not kept up very well at all. Even some very simple improvements would have made it alot more comfortable, for example....there were no towel racks in the bathroom or the kitchen, the bathroom tissue holder was completely worn out, the carpet was very worn and dirty (hated to walk barefoot on it), the dining chairs were worn out and sagging, the bed mattress was very worn out to the point we could not even sleep or relax. The room smelled musty and damp. We had to ask for a coffee pot and when they brought it to us it was even dirty too. We had to ask 3 times to have a light bulb for the bathroom. We moved the sofa a little to get to the bed and the dirt and trash under there was unbelievable. The whole place was very dirty and unkept. We were not able to enjoy our vacation at all because of this room...not a place for rest or relaxation !!! I would not recommend this place to anyone, infact....it should be condemed !!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Maggie28327

Travellers are raving about these North Myrtle Beach hotels

rocky mount
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I loved this motel.It was a nice quite place to stay. Family owned and wonderful. It was clean and cozy. the maids came by to clean every morning by 9am. The pool was cleaned every morning and the view from our room was great. This is a great place to stay with family. I really enjoyed my stay and will be back very soon. If you want to be in the middle of the crowds and all the attractions this is not the place for you. It is in the North end so to get to most attractions and great eating places you have to drive a little. .My husband and I decided that we did not mind the driving as long as we had a nice cozy,clean place to stay. I will be back very soon.. Thanks for making my labor day weekend great...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank abatts
richmond ky
Reviewed 13 August 2010

i am writing this review about this motel not based on the fact that i stayed there but on the fact of the rate quote i was given i rec,d other quotes near the motel by the sea and all of them charged 12 percent tax on the room when this motel gave me a quote the tax for there rate was just a little over 22 percent i am writing this to let people beware of this place so they don,t scam you for more tax than they need to charge

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank jamer66
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I do not understand all of the negative reviews for this motel unless like myself, they don't want other people to know about this little place. We had never stayed here before and decided to take a chance this past weekend despite the negative reviews. No, this is not a Ritz Carlton or even a Marriott, and it is an older property. However, the rooms were extremely clean, the AC worked well, the beds were comfortable, the pools were clean and it is oceanfront. In addition, the front desk clerks were among the nicest I have ever encountered. I have paid double the money at other motels that could not even compare to this one. Talked to several other people staying here too and specifically asked if they liked the motel; all said it was more than adequate. If you are looking for a clean, affordable motel then you will not regret staying here. If you are looking for luxury lodging, then keep on trucking and spend several hundred dollars a night!

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cindyj2
virginia
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I would just like to say after reading the reviews I was a little suprised!! My husband and I have stayed in this hotel for 2 years now and are planning a third stay. Everything to us was very clean, the day we arrived we had to wait a little while on our room because they were cleaning it and the ladies done an awesome job!! Way to go!! Very polite and such nice people to do business with we will see you next year!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple