“You must stay here”

Spartanburg Marriott
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Spartanburg
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Great service.The Spartanburg team took care of all my needs.
Rooms were clean and spacious. Facilities are first rate.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Spartanburg Marriott

Reviewed 12 April 2012

The Marriott in Spartanburg was a great place to stay. The room was clean and spacious. From the moment I checked in and was greeted with a smile by the front desk staff to the amazing food prepared by your extremely friendly restaurant staff, my trip was wonderful. I would recommend anyone who is staying in the area to stay there. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any room was great.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We are Canadians, living in Vancouver, British Columbia. We love the Spartanburg Marriott and have stayed in it on at least 5 occasions! It has a gracious "old South" ambience with large foyer and beautifully appointed rooms. The location in downtown Spartanburg is wonderful -- you can walk to shops, galleries, restaurants, and even to the campus of beautiful Wofford College! We try to stay in the Spartanburg Marriott every March break when we come to visit family in North & South Carolina.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

My mom, 4-year-old son and I shared a room with 2 double beds for a weekend in March. We stayed for 3 nights. The room was clean and comfortable and we all slept really well in the beds. There was plenty of room for the 3 of us. The bathroom was roomy too which was nice since 2 women had to get ready for several wedding-related events at the same time!

Most of the employees at the Marriott went out of their way to be friendly. We were greeted at check-in with a welcoming smile even though it was after midnight. Anyone we passed in the hallway or in the lobby said "hi" and asked us how we were doing. We really appreciated the positive attitudes.

The housekeeping staff left much to be desired. While friendly when we passed them in the hallway, they were extremely slow. The first day we left in the morning and the housekeeping cart was parked two rooms down. When we returned 4-5 hours later the cart had only moved one room and our room had not been cleaned. We left again and came back a few hours later to find that the cart was in the same place and our room still hadn't been cleaned. We were leaving again so we called down to the front desk to ask them to clean our room. When we returned late that evening there were new towels but nothing had been wiped down and only one of the beds had been made! Why would you make one but not the other? Weird. Also my mom was unhappy that the coffee wasn't replaced. The next day it wasn't cleaned at all and we didn't bother asking for it to be done. On the third day they came by and knocked while we were there and my mom asked for coffee. They gave us some but didn't have creamer and said they would bring some back. They never did. We were there with a large group of people and everyone was complaining about the lack of attention to the rooms.

The worst part of the stay came when we went to eat breakfast in the restaurant one morning. My mom had eaten there the day before and had a really good experience. She said that the waitress was super friendly and very accommodating and that the food had been good. When we went the following day however, it was a different story. We were a party of 8 and ordered off of the menu instead of doing the buffet and that apparently was our mistake. Even though we ordered things like oatmeal, eggs, and cereal with fruit and the restaurant was pretty empty we waited for 45 minutes for our food. My son was so hungry and kept asking where our food was. The waitress finally brought the cereal for the 3 people who ordered it but no fruit and the rest of us didn't get our food. We waited another 10-15 minutes without our order coming. Meanwhile the chef in the kitchen (it's an open kitchen so diners can see what's going on back there) was obviously angry. He was by himself on a Saturday morning so that was part of the problem and he was sick. He was coughing loudly without covering his mouth for several minutes. Then without washing his hands or the fruit he just coughed on he picked up the knife (also under the area he just coughed on) and started cutting the strawberries. He was throwing things and clearly mad. That was the last straw. I was not about to let my son eat those strawberries. At that point we had been waiting almost an hour for oatmeal and fruit. We told the waitress that we were leaving and went somewhere else. She was very apologetic and I felt bad for her. It was one of the worst dining experiences I've had.

I'm not sure that I would stay at this Marriott again. I'm honestly pretty easy to please and I could let the housekeeping slide but the chef in the restaurant was unacceptable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Akshay B, Manager at Spartanburg Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Let me start by apologizing for what you encountered during your stay. This is not the standard level of service we deliver and will be addressed immediately. What took place during your stay is absolutely unacceptable and I assure you will not happen again. I can only hope you give us another chance in the future to prove this to you. We thank you again for staying with us and giving us your feedback. If you are willing could you please reach out to me I can personally ensure your next stay is courtesy of the hotel. We would sincerely like another chance to exceed your expectations.

Chris Reger
Chris.Reger@marriott.com

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed here two separate Fridays in March since our daughter had a dance competition at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium right down the street.

The lobby is very bright, open, and clean; the staff and customer service are great! We checked in late Friday evening both times we stayed and each time a member of the staff actually came from behind the desk out to the front to give us our room keys. Check-in went very quickly and smoothly. (One thing they forgot to mention to us at the front desk was that you needed to use your room key to work the elevator on the way up. We sat in the elevator for about a minute before we realized we had to use our key! But it was not a big deal.)

Both stays the rooms were very inviting with plenty of space and comfortable beds. Of course the pillows never work for us, but we brought our own. There were only 3 bath towels and 3 hand towels, but 4 people scheduled to be in the room each time. Not sure why most hotels can’t get this right. We always have to request additional towels. But that is probably my only complaint. I conducted the “bed bud check” when we got into the room and all was clear.

The first Friday stay we ordered room service just for our daughter for breakfast since she had to be at the auditorium by 7 AM. The rest of us planned to eat breakfast at Krispy Kreme (which is right down the street) since breakfast at the hotel is very expensive. They do have a breakfast time guarantee on room service and since ours was late arriving, we got it for free! That made me feel a lot better since it was $9 for a bowl of Rice Crispies and a blueberry muffin! I would suggest bringing your own breakfast or heading down to Krispy Kreme for a donut!

Check out was very easy. You just call the front desk to tell them you are checking out and leave your key in the room.

The second time we stayed at this hotel, we got a AAA rate with free breakfast at the on-site restaurant. The on-site restaurant is very nice! The hostess seats you and takes your drink order. Then you head to the buffet. They serve the buffet food in silver serving dishes and arrange it very nicely. They had a wide selection of both hot and cold breakfast foods: scrambled eggs, pepper bacon, sausage patties and links, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, potato casserole, assorted breads and fruits, cereals, etc. It was very chilly in the dining room, so I would suggest bringing a jacket or sweater if you choose to eat here.

Overall we have had two pleasant stays.

1  Thank uscgrl93
Akshay B, General Manager at Spartanburg Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

I would like to thank you for choosing Spartanburg Marriott for your stay. We have shared your comments with our team. I apologize again about the delay room service delay. Good to hear that our team was able take care of your meal.

Thank you again for sharing your comments. We look forward to seeing you again at the Spartanburg Marriott.

Akshay Bahl
akshay.bahl@marriott.com

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I have been a Marriott Rewards member for over 10 years. I noticed as of late that this brand is reverting to making you pay for internet access and not serving free breakfast. I am wondering why a hotel would do this in such tough times. I am going to plan to stay at a more competitive hotel from now on.

Room Tip: Don't stay on back side of hotel. There is a train that runs buy twice a night.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed one night when visiting VCOM. Very easy to get to. Convenient parking. Checked in late and was greeted warmly despite the hour. Rooms are spacious and clean with top notch electronics.
I didn't expect such a nice hotel in a city of this size. Will return.

• Stayed: February 2012