Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We traveled nearly 4000 miles to attend an anniversary celebration at Schmidt's Landing and had a wonderful time! Our cabin was spotlessly clean, comfortable, and had a great view of the lake. The owner's obviously take a lot of pride in their facility as the grounds were very well maintained. They even had kayaks and pedal boats that we were able to use free of charge. The kids in our group really enjoyed the nice play area which includes swings and a slide. Overall a great experience. If you forgot to bring something (as I did), there is also a store on the property complete with munchies, beverages, fishing equipment, and just about anything else you might want or need. Everyone in our group had a wonderful time, and the owner's couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. We will definitely go back to Schmidt's Landing.

Date of stay: July 2009
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Our family had a 100 year reunion this June 2010 in South Dakota, and we made the unfortunate choice to rent six “modern” cabins (I need to use "cabin" and/or “modern” very loosely) from Schmidt’s landing. When we pulled into the resort, it was very disappointing. The “modern” cabins we rented were actually an old vacant motor lodge (motel w/6 attached units) that was moved from Milbank South Dakota to Schmidt’s Landing in Big Stone Lake. I think they were going to condemn the motel, but Jim and Donna at Schmidt’s landing must’ve thought it was an upgrade to their other cabins…I think these were used in a movie once as the “Bates Motel”. There’s a reason why they don’t show the outside of the “cabins” on their website…just to re-iterate, these are definitely not cabins, this is an old motor lodge (Motel) with 6 side by side units.
For the most part Donna was nice (although once in a while, you could see a bit of “Big Jim” rub off on her), but “Big Jim” on the other hand had the personality of my rear end…he was rude to everyone, and really lacked any sort of class or customer service. “Big Jim” was not only rude to the adults, but even yelled at the kids. You’d think they would be nice to a group of people that just spent $2K over a two day period…apparently, they don’t need the business. My recommendation for “Big Jim” would be to their house and not interact with the customers.
You need to watch your bill at the end, they tried charging me extra ($10/per) for family members that visited for about 3 hours. I also had a brother and his family (4 in total) stay in my cabin while I stayed in another brother’s…we weren’t over the capacity we paid for (actually still under), and they wanted to charge me another $20 for letting them stay in my cabin. In the end, I told them I wouldn’t pay the extra charge, and “big Jim” said “if that’s what it will take to get you to leave”, I’ll give you $20…nice customer service! Apparently return visits or recommendations aren’t what they are looking for!
They should rename this place, and remove the “m” from Schmidt’s to really give you an idea of the experience you’ll have. I would’ve posted this on their website as well, but they review all posts and post only reviews that are beneficial to the resort. The resort doesn’t come close to resemble the reviews on their website…definitely a “thumbs down” place!!

15  Thank harley1165
Reviewed June 23, 2010

This "resort" of self acclaimed "modern cabins" and relaxing family fun is not all it claims to be... buyer beware! For starters there are no cabins on the premises - the old motel has had no renovation - the couches are old and dilapidated, sunk to the ground; bathrooms are positively disgusting - the showers have bacteria infested, moldy floors (if you are lucky to be small enough to fit in them). The grounds are beautiful and they do have some fun things on the property - volleyball court, 4 fishing docks (our kids fished for HOURS and didn't catch a single fish), paddle boats and kayaks. The paddle boats and kayaks stay locked up until you can track Jim down to unlock them(supposedly for the safety of children - I think because they think guest might steal them) - but don't bother Jim too often or he may tell you "it would be helpful if you could coordinate your activities"... God forbid you want to utilize the "free" amenities they offer. On that note- take advantage of the few "freebies" - the nightly prices are way too high and they will nickel and dime you for everything else - an unwashed bowl? $5. An extra person in your tent? $10. A 70 year old visitor? $10(if they let them enter at all) - If you're lucky - Jim might even yell at your children! Recommendation? Check out Hartford Lake Resort about 10 miles away. You can stay there in real cabins for significantly less money - though it is at the state park (which is gorgeous) you don't have to pay state park fees if you're staying at the resort! A welcome "freebie" after staying at a place that charges for every little thing (did I mention the $5 use of washing machine???) - 2 redeeming qualities... Donna did her best to be friendly and the "extralong full size beds" were actually comfortable - if you could overcome the awful smell of the bathroom long enough to fall asleep!

10  Thank FearsomeFoursome
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We came to visit people in the Milbank area and thought it would be fun to stay at a resort on a nearby lake. We picked Schmidt's Landing because their internet description seemed appealing. Ownership states having modern cabins. That is false. There are no cabins. It is an old hotel that was moved to the lake. Owners were rude to our group and not accomidating. Our experience was not favorable. I will never visit that place again. If you are interested in staying in the area, do yourself a favor and select another resort.

11  Thank Hawkfan43323
Reviewed June 21, 2010

This "Resort" was misrepresented on their website. Their "cabins" were actually a transplanted motor inn. The "resort" was run by Donna and Jim. Donna attempted to be somewhat accommodating, whereas Jim was downright rude. Their lodging rates are outlandish for the amenities you get for your money. They charge for anything additional, such as guests who come to visit those staying at the "resort." They overcharged one of the people in our group and when that person asked for a partial refund he was told by Jim that he would do "whatever it takes to get you to leave." We felt like we were being watched the entire time so they could assess an extra charge for any "infraction" of their ridiculous rules.

12  Thank boulder829