“Everyone got what they wanted!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dairy Queen Grill & Chill
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in De Smet
Description: Soft-serve ice cream & signature shakes top the menu at this classic burger & fries fast-food chain.
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

With both restaurants in the same building, all 12 of us could choose what we were hungry for at the end of a busy day at the Homestead. We are on picnic tables provided outside because the weather was perfect!

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed July 23, 2018

Visiting town for Laura Ingalls Wilder sites. Stopped in for supper before the LIW pageant cause we wanted something quick and did not think we had time for a sit down restaurant. Now in DQ's defense it was a busy Saturday evening in July--however since these Summer weekends are the busiest for this town--you would think the management would plan accordingly and have enough staff to cover the busy season!! We stood in a line for at least 15 minutes just to order, then we waited about another 20-30 minutes to get our food. Once received it was not good! Quality of the food was fair! But the most irritating part of our visit was when the grandkids were done eating and went up to the counter to get their free cone that is included with their meals --we had to go to the end of the regular--very long ordering line for this. When I inquired about this from the young lady working the counter, she said yes you have to wait! Sorry but this is very poor service! We have both DQ's and Culvers back home and they both offer ice cream with their kids meals and they both have a team or a person that are assigned to the ice cream treats. The kids just go up to the counter after eating their meal and they are helped. I cant believe you make these kids wait in line for another 15-20 minutes to get their included mini cones, that probably would have taken 2 minutes to make! For the amount of time we spent waiting in this fast food place, we could have had a sit down meal with dessert!! Very disappointing.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed January 5, 2018

Disclaimer, I am not a complainer, and I have never written a bad review or called an owner before.....until this. I'm a young woman who was driving through De Smet after a hiking trip in the black hills.I stopped quickly to use the restroom, and grab a sub. I was the only car in the parking lot and didn't pay a lot of attention as I pulled up the the front of the store. Another family eventually pulled up. As the only car in the lot, I hadn't realized the parking spots went the other way, thus I was blocking two spots (within a fairly large parking lot).

I entered the store and was immediately chewed out loudly by Nick, the employee on shift. The other family stared as I apologized and he continued to rant about my parking. I was so embarrassed and appalled that I used the bathroom (which was filthy), and quickly left the store without ordering food. By the time I came outside Nick, the employee, had left a note on my car which said "CITIZENS ARREST!!!!!" (This was confirmed by a lady sitting outside the Dairy Queen next door). "South Dakota Nice", huh? That's not exactly how citizens' arrests work....

Nick, I really hope that trying to make me feel small made you feel bigger. I'm sorry that I was a small, tired, no makeup, sweaty haired 23 year old female with out of state plates that parked wrong and who you thought you could belittle. What was the point? Trying to scare a girl who clearly had never been to the restaurant before? Who you knew you would never see again? I hope that you enjoyed your two minutes of "putting me in my place".

Maybe you were just having a bad day. Maybe you're just a really unhappy dude working at Subway, I don't really know. But you have reminded me that even on my worst days, be kind to other people. God bless.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

Stopped and they were sold out of ice cream! Wow! Why bother being open! There was a small sign on the drive through saying they were out of chocolate and vanilla, what the heck!

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed August 15, 2017

Nothing special about this place. Good was about the same as most DQ. This one also had a Subway attached. Both of the restroom were some of the worst ones my wife and I have been in for some time. Really unusual. The manager needs to do some checking. It looked like they had not been cleaned in a few days.

Date of visit: August 2017