“Nice but too expensive”
Review of Cedar Wood Inn

Cedar Wood Inn
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We have stayed here a couple of times and liked it. However, the rooms are small and drafty, and it cannot compete with the larger casinos in town. Therefore, the rates need to be cheaper to fight for the travelers dollar. NO restaurant on site is a big drawback too.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 August 2011

We spent 2 nights here while in Deadwood and found the motel to be clean, comfortable, and quite. The couple who own it are very friendly and helpful. It is within walking distance of a numbr of tourist attractions such as the Adams House & Museum and the cemetary where Wild Bill Hickok is buried.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank globeseeker007
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We visit the Deadwood area every year around rally time. Every year we say "We need to stay at The Cedar Wood Inn". Finally this year we got reservations and stayed Aug 3-6. What a treat! Very cute, clean, quaint. The grounds are well kept and there are plenty of outdoor areas for sitting and having morning coffee or evening cocktail and visit with the other guests. Small continental breakfast in the AM, juice, coffee, muffins, but those cinnamon rolls.....I looked forward to one every morning. The owner's are great people and second generation owners. All other guests were nice and respectful of others. You are close enough to town for a nice walk at night or there is always the Trolley. Plenty of parking, area for washing your bike. No laundry room but there are 2 laundromats very close, Post Office just down the street (comes in handy when on the bike and needing to ship home all of your purchases). The rooms are decorated nicely and have a coffee maker. Some have baths some have only showers. No blow dryer's or ironing boards but I went to the front desk for a community iron and ironing board which worked just fine. I have read a few reviews where they said beds were not comfortable. I think some people are just hard to please. Beds were fine, they weren't home, but they were fine, pillows were fine, bedding was clean. It's nice to stay somewhere that offers a personal touch outside of the everyday chain hotels and The Cedar Wood Inn does just that. It totally met my expectations and we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thegasgod_slcut
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Deadwood was the last stop on an 8 day trip to South Dakota (we are from Manitoba). While we stayed at quite a few hotels this last one in Deadwood was our family favourite. The Cedar Wood Inn surpassed all our expectations. The kids were a little disappointed that it did not have a pool, but oh well! It was very clean, beautifully kept and friendly staff. I was impressed with the rooms, beds were very comfortable and home like. I also liked the fact that it was not right in town. We did walk to town, but it was so hot! Trolley was very convenient. Thank you for a wonderful stay! Dillabough Family.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dillabough28
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We stayed in Deadwood at the Cedar Wood in with owners Gordon and Audrey Mack.

Rolling into town, almost simultaneously my wife and I looked at the area and the town, and thought, out loud, this place is scaring me. Without seeing it of course.

To our delight, this place was manicured, well kept, and stunning for the age of the motel, the surrounding area and the bad impression we had in our heads.

We were dead wrong. This jewel was the best stay on our trip. By far, and we stayed in great places.

The breakfast was delightful. Audrey made Cinnamon Rolls, my children, who are picky, ate at least 2 each morning, and the second morning, at 4 each. They are 8 and 3.

Room was clean, large, and private. They have a sign saying room inspections welcomed, if you go in and check, you will not want to leave.

We parked right in front of our room, right by the trolly stop. We could not have asked for better hosts. Questions, they have answers, and not tourist answers, locals type answers. Need suggestions? they have them.

If we go to Deadwood again, you can bet we will be at the Cedar Wood Inn. Best of the Best in Deadwood.

No casino, but that is the best part.

Room Tip: On the roadside closest to the trolly stop. Best in the building.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank NursCEO
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Stayed in a large family rooom facing the road, the room was really spacious and very clean. The owner was really friendly and provided good tips on scenic routes. My daughter left her teddy bear and they quickly posted it to our home so that it was waiting when we got back. Faultless service and great value. Just avoid the dates around the Sturgis rally unless you enjoy being woken at daft o'clock by bikers roaring past!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I pulled into Deadwood South Dakota without any reservations for a hotel. I pulled into the Cedar Creek Inn, and was greeted by a wonderful hotel owner that went out of her way to get me into a room and make my stay as comfortable as possible. This hotel is only about 8 blocks from the center of downtown Deadwood and has a shuttle service that runs to the downtown area with great frequency. We will be travelling to the Deadwood area several times per year as we bought some recreation property there. I will not stay anywhere else!! We really enjoyed our stay here. I can't emphasize how clean, quiet and nice this hotel is. I would recommend it to anyone!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple