“Very pleasant stay”

Iron Horse Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Deadwood
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My husband and I have stayed here before (pre-elevator) but not for quite some time. This trip, we brought my in-laws along. Thankfully, we were able to take the elevator this time! The rooms we had were large and clean. We liked the location, too. Away from the noisy main drag but an easy walk to wherever you want to go. The restaurant/bar downstairs was not open when we were there. They had a freak hailstorm that basically destroyed it a couple of weeks before. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We go to Deadwood a couple of times a year and I think we have found our new favorite place to stay. It's not the 'Ritz', it's an historic hotel. So there are quirks that go along with old buildings. We too had tepid water in the shower one of the days. We just got up earlier the next day! Simple solution!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 September 2010

overall nice atmosphere, good value and service. close to everything in town. HOWEVER running out of hot water while showering is not fun especially if your spouse is next in line. this happened both days we were there. i called the first time, the next day after the same thing happened i called and was told by the manager that she had not been told about and we would be comp'd. well knocking $6.00 off the room rate isn't offering much of an appolgy. too bad. find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2010

OK, so when we first got to the hotel everything seemed OK. The rooms were nice, kinda dirty (dead flies on window bottoms, dusty). I can deal with that, no biggie. When we tried to go to sleep, we were bombarded by a constant "thud" in the wall. It sounded like someone possibly banging on the wall with a hammer. But it was a consistent loud noise that happened every 1 or 2 seconds for a few minutes, then would stop for a few seconds, then start again. This went on for an hour or two before I couldn't take it any longer.

I called the front desk to report either someone or something in the wall that is causing a banging noise, asking if she knew if they had problems with old pipes or anything. The front desk lady told me she had never heard such a thing but would send someone up to check it out. Ten minutes later two lady staff members (from the gaming/casino area) arrive at my room.

They inform that this is a KNOWN issue (contrary to the comments just made by the frotn desk clerk) in this room and is caused by the heating/cooling unit that is right above the room. So I ask what can be done? Answer: Nothing. I ask can I get another room, since this is all but impossible to sleep in? The other staff member rudely answers me they don't have any available rooms. I ask can I get some kind of comp or refund? Again, no, nothing can be done, you have paid full price for this room that we know has a noise issue but yet continue to rent it out at full price and then when customers nearly lose their insanity trying to sleep we gladly come to their room and tell them TOUGH LUCK.

NEVER, EVER, EVER will I be back. One of the worst customer service, and in turn, overall experiences I've ever had.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank mchorne
Reviewed 16 February 2010

This hotel is a short walk from main street and if the weather is cold and snowy like when I was there, it can be more inconvenient than staying at one of the main street hotels like I did the next night. Even though the rooms are somewhat worn and tattered, they are clean and have excellent rates. The people that work here are extremely helpful and friendly. The excellent pizza restaurant in the basement was no longer in operation but they had the same type of pizzas at the Hickocks casino just down the street for a late night meal. Deadwood casinos and hotels are not glitzy with all the amenities one might get in Vegas or Atlantic City, but the people are down to earth and friendly and generally you will have a great time! Don't forget to check out Saloon #10. They have great poker tournaments and rockin bands playing on the week-ends!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Hickok's Iron Horse Inn occupies two separate buildings. The Iron Horse has a bar and looks a little rowdier. We accidentally went there to check in and were directed to Hickok's, which is quiet, clean and just off the main drag. The casino, which is on the main floor, has its own entrance, so it's easy to avoid the one-armed bandits. We had a spectacular suite with skylights, a view of the evening gunfight show, a soaker tub with jets in a huge bathroom, and super comfy beds. Check out my pictures as the ones on the website don't do the hotel justice. The parking is free, but it's a block away. But since you're on the main strip it doesn't really matter.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2009

Trust me....if anyone knows hotels and travel...it's me. I fly domestically and internationally. When I travel abroad for leisure, I stay in hostels. When traveling for work, I stay at nothing less than 4 stars. So I know them ALL!!! This hotel is GREAT! I'm a non smoker from NYC and was a little taken back by the smoke in the lobby...but that's the state law here, it's permitted so I was taken aback by it everywhere LoL.

The staff is GREAT!!!! WAY accomodating! When they saw us leaving for dinner after we had checked in they made sure everything was okay and wanted to know if we needed anything else. Just very sweet and eager to do anything kind of staff aka the best!

The room I stayed in was a single bed room booked for two. The beds are cozy, pillows are great, and it was EXTREMELY clean EVEN WITH RENOVATIONS IN THE LOBBY GOING ON! The room I stayed in the sink and vanity were in the main room and the "bathroom" had just the shower and toilet, a little different, but it worked fine. All the amenities you need....FREE INTERNET, TV, blow dryer, coffee maker, etc etc etc.

My favorite part was probably the shower though LOLOLOL, it was one of THE BEST showers I've ever had LOL. Great location, just one block away from the main streets. Front desk gave GREAT recommendations on where to eat. This was my first time to Deadwood and I plan on making another trip sometime in the near future and I will most CERTAINLY be coming back to this hotel. Would recommend it to friends, family, and anyone else!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank emeitalia
Reviewed 9 October 2009

The rooms were wonderfully done in dark wood. The wall coverings were beautiful. Room was put together in excellent taste. Even the towels on the racks were folded in shell shapes. This was the best hotel room that we had on our vacation. It was also reasonably priced. Within walking distance of everthing.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends