All reviewshorseback ridingtheater roomowners johnlog homesfire pitrenting cabinsgorgeous propertycowboy cabinsseparate businesswood fired pizzablack hillsmillion starscombo dinnermickelson trailrapid citykids enjoyed the poolfull kitchen
Reviewed December 31, 2017

I'll explain later the hazards of staying here but first, I'm unsure why the prices are hiked over the holidays because there was less service than normal at the ranch. No one was even around for our stay. If we wouldn't have gone up to make sure we had enough towels for our entire stay, we wouldn't have known that no one would be around and that we better stock up. We would have been left re-using towels and probably buying our own toilet paper. We had several issues during our stay but no way to contact anyone with no wifi or cell service. There used to be a phone by the office to call but that was no longer there. The horses were even out and no one around to contact. Some people that were driving by ended up trying to get them in behind the fence. We ended up driving to town and calling the main ranch # and left a message when we had issues. No one ever responded. It snowed while we were there but no one ever came to scoop the snow--we were on our own and glad we didn't get more than we did because I'm pretty sure we would have been stuck with no way to contact anyone for help. There was no ice melt so it was terribly slick and we had older people in our group that we had to hold onto on both sides to ensure we could get them back in the car without falling. It's a good thing for the view of the hills because that's really the best part of being there. Terribly high priced for having no one there to service anything and no wifi or phone access. This ranch could be so wonderful if someone properly cared for it. I'm not sure I'd recommend this for families with kids because there are some danger areas that have been overlooked that could be a real danger--especially to small children. We also only had one smoke detector that worked in the entire house with an extremely hot light switch. Once we realized the light switch got hot, we never turned it on again but were very worried about a fire starting in the walls and no smoke detectors to warn us--especially with people sleeping upstairs. This was one of the items that we went to town and called and left a message about but never had anyone come by to check it. I left a note when we left and received a phone call on our way home that they had gone to "the wrong cabin" to check on our message. So apparently they didn't know where we were staying and if they did check out the "wrong" cabin, I'm wondering why they never made it to the "right" cabin when they didn't find the issue in the "wrong" cabin. Unless there's more than one cabin that has hot light switches. The western hospitality that we experience in the Black Hills was certainly not at the ranch during our visit. We've stayed at the ranch over 30 times (at least) and have never seen it with this kind of service. Last time we were in the hills, we opted to stay in a rental home by Custer that was much better priced and cleaner and no issues with a manager that called to check on us. We only stayed at the ranch again because one of the older people in our group missed the view they'd been accustomed to in our 30+ times at the ranch. After the fire hazards and the older people in our group not sleeping well because of worrying about a fire starting and everyone getting out, I'm sure they'll be ok with staying elsewhere next time. It's really sad because we have a lot of fond memories at the ranch. We've spent a lot of holidays there and even though things weren't always perfect, there was always someone around to fix whatever issue came up. Oh, did I mention the frozen water line upstairs? At least we're assuming it was froze--we also left a message about that but no one came so we're not really sure what the problem was with no cold water upstairs. But the fire hazards were of far greater concerns. I just hope no one ever has to suffer any hurt at this place and hoping this review will be a warning to those that stay there because it's really of great concern and fire is never something to mess with.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike V
guestranch, Owner at High Country Guest Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2018

Good evening, I'm so sorry! Please call me (John) at 605-574-2700 and I will make this right for you. I know what happen and it is not right and I would like the opportunity to make it right you and your family.

John Majchrzak
605-574-2700

Reviewed December 11, 2017

I once registered to send my son, his wife and their three children to High Country Guest Ranch. I paid the down payment and set up a online autopay to pay the remainder. Three weeks later, my son decided he couldn't fulfill the reservation. I contacted the Ranch and was told I could get a refund. Later, the Ranch changed their mind ... citing the Ranch refund policy of no refunds of the down-payments. I was never told about this policy until that point. So, be carecul buyer!!! Expedia Dot Com backed The Ranch I haven't used expedia.com since. Actually, this happened in 2016.

Stayed: January 2017
1  Thank James H

Good evening, I'm so sorry. Please call me (John) at 605-574-2700 and I will refund your deposit.

Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

We had an awesome two night stay here! Gorgeous property just a few miles from town...and conveniently located near Rushmore, Custer, Crazy Horse and Wind Cave. The service was excellent and the cabin was spacious and clean! The kitchen had everything we needed and the beds were comfortable. We even had a gas fireplace in the living room. We enjoyed the outdoor fire pit, the outdoor private hot tub, and the clear night sky with a million stars in view. Would definitely recommend the ranch, especially for families needing a place to stretch out.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Thank you!

Reviewed October 2, 2017

They kept my 20% advance .... I canceled 3 weeks after I made reservation and 5 months before I was to stay there. I am so unhappy that I canceled my Expedia.com ap .... they didn't warn me of this rediculoud cancellation policy.

Stayed: February 2017

Good evening, please call me (John) 605-574-2700 and let me see what we can do.

John Majchrzak

Reviewed August 28, 2017

We pulled in there to go horseback riding with kids. Very nice people. We ended staying night there in RV. They were really easy going and let the kids pet the horses in the evening. Chuck B Wagon show was closed but kids loved it anyways.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family