“Neat old place”

Thunderbird Lodge Mitchell
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Mitchell
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stayed one night, had two rooms. They accommodated our need for ground floor, as we wanted to have our motorcycles close to the room. Had exterior and interior doors. Rooms were BIG. But one of the first rooms had the AC from the upper floor dripping on us as we walked in and out and the floor was very wet. They got us a different room immediately. Yeah, it's old and a little worn, but it's reasonable, right off the freeway, many restaurants close by to walk to and down town a mile or so away. Great lobby, great staff and we got a better rate when we called for reservations, rather than doing it online.

Room Tip: Lower rooms had interior and exterior doors.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Redvette69

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stay at the Thunderbird about once a year. It is an older property a bit rough around the edges but well cared for. Get your picture taken on the big bunny out front. Good local next to an average cafe and McDonald's. Rooms clean shower drains work well plenty of hot water. Heater in room 47 is all or nothing. Talked to the front desk and they said they would sort that out. Staff seem to have been there for years. Very helpful and professional. Reservations are easy to make and rooms are ready when we arrive.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ScottyTravels1972
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge for one night in August 2011. Located right off the freeway, 10 minutes to Corn Palace. More reasonable than even the Super 8 across the street. About $67 for the night. Clean decent sized room. Has neat old character. Basic continental breakfast in morning (toast, toaster waffles, cereal etc.) Great stop off point if traveling across South Dakota.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Initially we chose to stay with this motel because it was a locally owned property and the room rates were a fair price. The majority of the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor portrayed this motel as a decent place to stay, so I decided to book it for our Labor Day Weekend trip. In addition to my husband and my's room, we booked another room for my brother who required a pet room for his dog. The non-smoking room we stayed in was fine. There wasn't anything fancy about it, but it was clean for the most part. Unfortunately since my brother was needing a pet room, the only one that was available was a smoking pet room. Although he's not smoker, he said that for one night he'd be ok with staying in it. Everything seemed to be just as we expected until we woke up the next morning. My brother checked out of his room only to show my husband and me two disgusting pictures of the bed and pillow from his particular room. The pictures showed what appeared to be a blood stain on the bed/box spring nearest to the window. No sooner did my brother notice that, but he looked down at his pillow and there was a blood stain on the pillow too. The mear thought of these images made me cringe, especially since my husband and I had another night that we would be staying at this property. To make a long story short, we did end up staying another night without any incidences, but sadly I can't say that we'd recommend this motel after the whole "blood" incident with my brother's room. I informed the front desk clerk of the stains upon check out, so hopefully they will address the issue and correct it. The location, friendliness, and value are all positives of this property, but any situation that involves someone else's blood is a deal breaker.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2011

On our national cross country motorcycle tour this year to Sturgis and points north, we rolled into Mitchell, SD minutes ahead of a raucous wind-rain storm system. Thunderbird Lodge was very reasonably priced and conveniently located. It's an older facility, but highly competitive and well run. Our room would compare favorable with any Chain motel room at twice the price! Owned and operated by a hard working, friendly and bright young man who knows his business. We would highly recommend this facility and will definitely stay here again! Has a pool, complimentary breakfast, large, comfortable rooms, and it's very clean. I recommend it to you wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Every room is a winner!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The Thunderbird is a great alternative to the hotel chains. The room was spacious, clean comfortable, quiet, and with a coupon from the roadside rest area - a really good deal. I have stayed at this place more than once and been satisfied every time. I would stay there again

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We came in exhausted from the drive the lady who checked us in was very nice and gave us a discount - bless her heart. We had our kids in the room, slept well, the bathrooms are clean and a great option for the price. I agree the breakfast is enough to get you going in the morning, for us veteran road travelers we prefer honest good old fashion service and older motels are a wonderful option.
Drawback - the room had a lot of light pollution from the parking lot and when our son got up to use the bathroom during the night the bathroom light lit up the room.

Next stop Chief Motel in Custer the kids want to hit the pool.

• Stayed: August 2011