“Family Reunion”

Chef Louie's Steak House & Lounge
Ranked #3 of 60 Restaurants in Mitchell
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2017

We had our best meal here during our three-day stay. All seven of us had steaks which were very good; the asparagus was perfectly done. The chocolate cake was dense and yummy and the atmosphere was inviting. The service could have been better, but everyone was friendly. We would go back on our next visit.

1  Thank 843lucindam

Reviewed June 26, 2017

We were visiting Mitchell for a family gathering after many years and decided to return to Chef Louie's. We had a large group of people sitting at several tables. The service was kind; however, the food was a total disappointment for most of us. The presentation of the food was reminiscent of the 1970s-80s, slab of meat, baked potato, and a small iceberg lettuce salad served with dressing in a cup on the side. This is not an inexpensive restaurant. For the same amount of money, I have had spectacular meals in many other states. The food and restaurant need updating. There are wonderful steakhouse restaurants nationwide with wonderful appeal; perhaps, the chef should visit some and get some new ideas.

1  Thank 1Traveler2_11
Reviewed June 25, 2017

We were just going through town and were looking for a good steak house. Couldn't find the one the motel manager had recommended, so we found Chef Louie's online and decided to go there instead.
We were warmly greeted at the door and seated immediately. The ambiance of the place was very nice too.. Most of us went for steak dishes and as it turns out, my daughter, the vegetarian had the best meal...a pasta dish.
I ordered one of the special steaks and honestly, I have never had such ordinary beef in my life. It was cooked as I ordered, but it had no juice, no flavor. The potato tasted far better than my slab of beef. What an expensive disappointment! This is supposed to be the best place in town?
It didn't help that the waitress we had seemed entirely unable to handle a larger table of people...there were only 5 of us, but she didn't get my order correct and there were other orders that somehow didn't mirror what we asked for either.
This is not an inexpensive place to eat and somehow you'd think that the service and the food would warrant the price, but it didn't the night we were there.
For the second time in our cross country trip, we were disappointed by the quality of the steaks we ordered in what's supposed to be beef country.
I can't recommend this place at all and am terribly confused by the number of high ratings this place got. Can't imagine how they might rate one of the excellent steak houses in NY or Chicago which blow this place away on all levels. So disappointed.

1  Thank wamrazing
Reviewed June 22, 2017

I ordered the boned in filet, medium rare, and it truly has been the best filet in South Dakota that I have had! Great atmosphere and nice wine list. If your traveling on Interstate 90, Chef Louie's is about a half mile off the exit.

1  Thank Delana K
Reviewed June 20, 2017

We were in town for a memorial service. Our friend has a lot of family in the area and she grew up here. The restaurant was kind enough to open on a Sunday afternoon for a private event. The food was excellent. I had salmon and asparagus and my husband had a filet. Both were cooked perfectly. Service was impeccable.

1  Thank jbdenverco