“Wow”

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Wow”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

What a nice hotel. It's a fairly new property, but it's extremely clean, pleasant, and well run. The staff is friendly, the facility is spotless, and the rooms are just right. Did I mention the staff? They are amazingly friendly and helpful. The breakfasts are well organized and quite tasty, and the servers are fun and do a great job. The desk people were exceptionally accommodating and helpful. I look forward to staying here often.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Belle Fourche
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel is like the places you see in the movies. Great Rooms, Service, Staff Friendlyness, Pool, Dining, and Fair pricing. There beds are amazing and decore would rate with the top hotels in the world. I would recomend this Hotel to anyone coming to Rapid City.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel, gorgeous decor, very clean, great staff.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Yogamonkey1
Maryland
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The hotel is fine being that it is new. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The problem I had was with my bill. They overcharged me, caught it but then overcharged me again when they gave me the other bill. I had to call them to get if fixed the 3rd time. My coworked got charged when she booked the room and when she checked out so she had to deal with that. Kind of starnge that we both had issues with our bill. I only had chicken in their restaurant and it was good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank richc007
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
Reviewed 6 February 2012

This was my second stay at the HGI in Rapid City. The front desk staff, Amber and Gayleen had my reservation ready and greeted me with a smile and the warmest of welcomes. Extra clean rooms and nice decor! Having Cabela's just down the road is a bonus!!

Room Tip: If you like planes, ask for a room facing Ellsworth Air Force Base which can be seen clearly from th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SheriffBTJustice
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The staff members were friendly. The food was pretty good. The rooms were comfortable and practical.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 22 January 2012

First – this is a gorgeous, new (6 months as of this writing) hotel with modern décor and a kind of Western themed motif carried through the lobby and common areas. Nicest HGI I have experience in terms of décor ever and I hope Hilton continues this type of theme as it rolls out new HGI properties. It is – probably by far based on other hotels in the area – the nicest hotel in Rapid City and anywhere nearby.

Finding the hotel is hard – directions are vague on their own website and even Google maps and most GPS can’t place it. To find the hotel, exit at La Crosse Ave. and head north (toward the mall) briefly and it’s an immediate right at the first traffic light by the Boston Pizza and a gas station (there is a sign, along with that of Travelodge and Outback) and then down the (poorly lit) hill to the hotel which sits by itself. The hotel is well off of I-90 and busy streets so traffic noise is not an issue.

Curiously, there are no pictures at all of this hotel on their website (through Hilton.com) either which I don’t understand as being open 6 months why wouldn’t they want to showcase their great property? The lone pictures on the website are of some other, generic looking Hilton Garden not this one. They seriously need to get with Hilton’s marketing people and rectify this. Look at Trip Advisor user photos if you want a more accurate depiction of the hotel.

The bulk of this review has to do with an unfortunate major problem when I stayed there for what was supposed to be a 2-night stay –and caused me to check out within 3 hours of checking in: their fire alarm system.

When we arrived around 8:30 p.m. or so, the fire alarm was going full blare and of course continued until the fire department arrived. We drove around the perimeter of the hotel and curiously there were no guest evacuated out of the building. We weren’t given an explanation of why the alarm went off or what the result was, other than the front desk staff hoped it wouldn’t happen again. They seemed genuinely embarrassed, but still should have been more forthcoming in an explanation as best they knew.

Then, at around 11:45 p.m. it happened again – jolting my wife and I out of a sound sleep in a dark room. To say we were freaked out is a major understatement – we were very scared, and were on the top floor. The alarm is extremely loud, as it should be and would surely wake the dead. We rang the front desk asking what was going on and were told there was a malfunction with a clothes dryer and were told guests or staff weren’t supposed to use it. Whether that is the real story, who knows.

Not intending to wait for this to happen a 3rd time, we checked out and went to another hotel at midnight in the freezing cold. We were informed upon departure it was some kind of heat sensor that was malfunctioned and the problem was or would be fixed after the fire dept was there a 2nd time – but even if was, I’d be fretting all night and wouldn’t have slept. To their credit, the front desk said they wouldn’t charge us for any of the stay and understood why we wanted to go.

But, the hotel has an issue in terms of its emergency evacuation procedures – apparently it has none. Yes the alarm was blaring and light strobes flashing and yes they have procedures written in the hotel manual in the room.

Having been through this a few other times, I was concerned by a lack of any direction from the hotel – usually there is a recorded and live message that is broadcast through the hallways and guest rooms regarding evacuating out of the building. Most modern new hotels would have this capability I assumed.

Based on my observation that apparently no other guests had evacuated outside or at least to the lobby during either alarm, I seriously question their staff’s training. It was a bitter cold night, yes, but this in my view is a potential serious health and safety concern. If it had been a real fire, I can only imagine the consequences.

Having said all of this I would consider staying here again in future – if there were assurances their fire alarm system issues have been thoroughly rectified.

Room Tip: Get a room in the front of the hotel if you want more of a view than the parking lot of rear-facing...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hotelreviewer333
Monte H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I want to personally apologize for the inconvenience of the fire alarm, while there was a malfunction in the system which is in place to protect our guest. This thought the situation was corrected by the fire department on the first alarm; however that was not the case. I do understand your concern and I am glad our front desk did what they could to handle your situation. I hope that if your travel brings you back to Rapid City, you will look at the Hilton Garden Inn has your accommodations.