“FANTASTIC - EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS”

Mount Rushmore Tours
Ranked #2 of 20 Tours in Rapid City
More attraction details
Owner description: Mt Rushmore & the Black Hills 9 Hour Sightseeing Tour, with two meals and music show! Leave the driving to us and join the most popular sightseeing tour package in the Black Hills. Tours available from mid May through mid October.
Reviewed May 26, 2018

We 3 seniors got the 1st tour of the year May 14th, 2018-beginning to end FANTASTIC. Picked up at our hotel and dropped off at the end of the tour. We opted for the whole package, breakfast, tour, dinner and show-GREAT VALUE! Tour guide, Pastor Bill, did a great job of driving all the while describing the beautiful terrain, each area's history, and points of interest. He has a great sense of humor, attitude & patience with "late" returnees to the bus. We stayed on schedule, saw SO much (see tour details). Some reviews did not like his "folksiness", but we thought it was appropriate, added enjoyment and well done! Also, he did great job driving through the scary narrow rock tunnels with only 1-2 inch clearance on each side of the bus! The tour is a great way to understand the "lay of the land". Doing the tour allowed us to see more and learn more than if we had merely driven to the MANY points of interest on our own. The dinner was a tasty BBQ and the show afterwards topped off the day. The show was professional, great musicians, family oriented, and delightful. We enjoyed every minute. We highly recommend this tour for all ages. Thanks to all at Mt Rushmore Tours!

All reviews
"day tour"
in 27 reviews
"pancakes"
in 32 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 14 reviews
in 12 reviews
"cowboy breakfast"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed March 4, 2018

This is the one and only tour you need to take will see it all in one day plus the evening show and dinner.

2  Thank Dhmcinti
Reviewed January 31, 2018

What an amazing company and guide! I had booked this tour online under the impression it was nearly full but in fact it was a web glitch and I was the only one on the tour. Understandably, the tour only operates for a minimum of two people or the equivalent price however unfortunately I couldn’t afford the price of a second ticket as I’m on a tight budget touring all 50 states. I expected an email back saying the tour was cancelled but instead Leah, my tour guide, told me her boss had allowed me to be an exception under the circumstances and I could still go on the tour!

Leah was fantastic! She told me about the brief history of Rapid City and nearby areas on the way up to the Black Hills National Forest. The views are absolutely stunning on the drive to Mount Rushmore. Leah told me all about the forest, Cluster State Park and its wildlife. She even drove as close as she could to Needle Highway (which is closed in the winter) to show me the rock formations which look like needles sticking out the ground!

Mount Rushmore is just as amazing as I thought it would be! There’s a viewing platform to get some good photos and a museum to learn about the history and creation of the carving. I was able to look around for about an hour and watch a 15 minute video detailing the carving process. There’s also all 50 state flags and pillars which are engraved with the order in which the states became official states of America.

After Mount Rushmore, we drove to Crazy Horse Memorial which is currently in the process of being built. I thought Mount Rushmore was huge but it’s nothing compared to Crazy Horse, who was a Native American warrior. Work on the sculpture began in 1948 and it’s estimated that it won’t be completed for another 100 years! It’s a shame I won’t see it in my lifetime but it would be interesting to return in 50 years and see how different it looks! On site, there’s a museum with a video explaining the history and inspiration behind the sculpture and a cultural centre which explores the lives of Native Americans. They also plan to build a Native American university. For $150 you can stand face to face with Crazy Horse or for $4 you can get a bus ride closer to the sculpture which makes for better photos! I had 90 minutes at this one and there’s still so much to see and do!

On the way to and from the mountains, we drove through Hill City and Keystone which are two old mining towns built during the Gold Rush. Today they are very popular tourist destinations during the summertime. They look like something straight out of an old Western movie! Leah told me that during the summer, Fort Hays (where this company is based) hosts a cowboy breakfast and live evening show – I would like to return in the summer to see it all in action!

At the end of the tour (which lasted about 5 hours), Leah dropped me off downtown and recommended places to eat and sights to see! I am so grateful to this company for taking me on this amazing tour experience and a big thank you to Leah for all her fun facts and interesting stories! I would definitely recommend this company!

3  Thank VikkiBee
Reviewed October 25, 2017

This tour was well worth the money. Starts off with a pancake breakfast. Then the bus tour with a driver that is very knowledgeable of the area. It was such a pleasure to relax and enjoy the sights of the Black Hills and leave the hassles of driving and parking and fees to the parks to someone else! And the views were spectacular.
After our return to the Fort we had a great chuck wagon dinner and a show that was as good as any Branson show we have seen.

3  Thank christinepY8930DU