“Good stay for a small budget”
Review of Foothills Inn

Foothills Inn
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night before heading south to Hill City for the rest of our weekend in the Black Hills. The room was clean and comfortable, but nothing fantastic. For the price, however, I can hardly complain.

Room:
The room was clean and spacious. It had two double beds, table and sitting chairs, dresser, and tv. Nothing was modern but it functioned just fine for our short stay. Behind the seating area there appeared to be a sliding glass door leading to an outdoor pool area, but it was difficult to tell since we got in late and it was already very dark outside.

Bathroom:
The bathroom was small but adequate. The bright sapphire shower looked very outdated, but good ol’ Big Blue was clean and provided plenty of hot water.

Other reviewers have mentioned refrigerators and microwaves in their rooms. Our room did not have either, however, we did not need those as we were there only for one short night’s sleep.

Breakfast:
Breakfast is included and available from 6am – 10am. The spread consisted of cereal (Cheerios, Raisin Bran, and Special K), toast, mini muffins, juice, and coffee. It was nothing to rave about, but adequate. There was not enough seating for everyone, with only two or three tables in a small space, but we made ourselves comfortable on the overstuffed lounge chairs to eat our cereal.

Rate:
Our rate was $36 per night, including tax.

Overall:
For this rate, I would stay here again and would recommend it to others looking for a deal.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank viajerosivda
There are newer reviews for Foothills Inn

Reviewed 30 September 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights as a central location to see Rushmore and the other tourists attractions. Location is great and very close to the highway. The normal rate is $49/night, but I booked on Travelocity and got it for 25% because I was there for 3 days.

On the positive side - the rooms are very large. Mine had a queen bed, work desk and other small coffee table, 3 straight chairs and reclining chair. Bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked great. There was also an oversized mini refrigerator and microwave. Very nice for buying drinks and snacks for the room.

On the negative side - the hotel probably looked great 20 years ago, but is very much outdated today. The light blue bathtub/shower combo was typical of the style. The continental breakfast was the poorest I've ever seen. It only contained cereal, sliced bread, mini muffins, juice, milk and coffee. The TV was a 27" tube TV and picture was very dark.

I would have given the hotel 1-2 stars if the price wasn't so good. Likewise I could have given it 4 stars if it wasn't just so outdated.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed for one night on a road trip after reading reviews on Tripadvisor and all I can do is agree with the great reviews the place is getting.

I was dubious when I walked into the reception to be met by a guest without shirt or socks on and an overly generous amount of buttock cleavage on display but after dealing with the guest the front desk staff member politely asked if he wouldn't mind covering up next time in communal areas. He then followed this up with an immediate apology to me.

So checked in, we found ourselves in a lovely clean and well equipped spacious room. The beds were a little on the hard side for my liking but the place was otherwise so nice it's not worth marking down for that.

Combined with a complimentary breakfast (usual motel fare), this truly was a great stay at a bargain price. It was raining hard so we never did our intended trip to Badlands National Park but if and when we come back we'll look up the Foothills Inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I just got back from a trip to Rapid City and stayed at the Foothills Inn from 9/23/11 to 9/26/11.This was a wonderful place to stay. My room was very clean, it had plenty of room and had a refrigerator and a microwave. It was quiet and the bed was very comfortable. Everyone was friendly and all of the front desk staff was very polite and helpful. Continental breakfast of cereal, milk, juice and some pastries was a great quick start for the day. The low price was amazing for such a nice place! I will definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel was great. Nice clean rooms, good service, nice breakfast, friendly staff and good location in Rapid City. Almost half the price of the fancy name hotel and just as nice. Had 3 grandsons and it worked out fine. Didn't need nor want a lot of kids activities as we were doing the sightseeing and touristy stuff and all the water park stuff would have hampered that as the kids would only have wanted to stay and play at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2011

When we got there we had a problem with the reservation through Cheaptickets since the hotel does not accept 5 people in one room (even tough Cheaptickets accepted it). Steve, the receptionist, really helped us out looking for another hotel for us near the area. We didn´t find anything close by but we got a futton so the 5th person could sleep. Luckily, the next day they had rooms available and we got a second one for our party and a better deal than the one we got from Cheaptickets. The hotel is ok, breakfast is basic but I would recommend it just for the very helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank gabyrd80
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Chad; A personal note regarding the wonderful work ethics of both Karen Hodet and Laura Blerinx (front desk). My son and arrived on the 24th of Aug., another trip out to the Blackhills, and again had the opportunity to stay at The Foothills Inn. We were early and met with Laura and Karen at the front desk who spent the extra time checking us in to the room we wanted. I've stayed at your hotel on many occasions from as early as 1996 for many events over the months of Jun thru Sep. The girls always make us seem right at home and comfortable. Great people and hoping to enjoy many more trips out your way. Thanks Steven Jettner

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family