“Somewhat remodeled, clean”
Review of Motel 6 Rapid City

Motel 6 Rapid City
Ranked #44 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Pet friendly, had room on first floor, parked just outside our door. Staff was helpful. Was a Friday night, lots of people running above us. Rooms had new vinyl and laminate floors, large bathrooms and granite countertops with vessel sink. Can see where some areas weren't finished, molding at bottoms of doors not painted. Overall not bad, really hard to find, can see from highway but can't get to. Came in from back, huge pothole almost didn't make it. Old sandwich in microwave. Not ours.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank jmiles189

Reviewed 25 August 2011

In addition to being overrun with college students partying by the pool, our room (236) was filthy--you stuck to the floor when walking over it--and the room was covered with bugs. At first I thought they were mosquitoes, then realized they were crawling (and everywhere). Then we pulled back the covers and could see the squished bedbugs under the sheet. We immediately packed up and asked for our money back. Spent twice as much at the AmericInn down the street, but at that point didn't care. I took a shower immediately and will never go near this Motel 6 again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BWatsonMD
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I had read reviews that were less than positive. But they were probably written before the property underwent a major renovation. The outdoor pool was great; room were the usual Motel 6 in terms of "minimal frills" but in terms of value, who could argue with it? My only complaint is this: the place is VERY difficult to find. The motel 6 directions were quite misleading. You can see the place very easiliy from the highway but once you enter the maze of motels where the place is located, it's very tough to find. I recommend they work on directions.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank desertqueen39
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The rooms were newly renovated and clean, the shower heads were very very low and had to bend down to take a shower and I am only 5'9. No free wifi here its $3. Overall not too bad but not great either.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We got into Rapid City at close to 2 AM. Even in our sleep-deprived state, we drove around and checked out the prices of hotels down our exit. All the rates were crazy high (this is a tourist trap, after all): the Super 8 was $88.88 - how cliché - and other hotels were just as high. The Motel 6, however, was $69 per night plus tax, so we threw caution to the wind and drowsily decided that cheapest was best. It turned out to be true.

I've stayed in Motel 6's before, but this one must have been recently renovated: the floors were wood panel (never seen that in a motel before) and the room décor had a modern flair - bold reds, browns and blacks. It was quite clean, and the bathroom was enormous. I totally could've moved the bed in there. (Not really, just said that for the sake of embellishing my description, but bear with me here.) I paid $2 extra for internet access. It was a little confusing, but after plugging some random numbers and letters (i.e., my "access code") into some blank fields, I was able to pull it up.

The motel is closely proximal to the interstate, so depending on the depravity of your sleep (did I mention we were running on fumes?), it may be hard to come by. Oh well. I slept like a log. A dead log.

For a last-minute, late-night lodging choice, this motel was optimal. Fresh and clean, is how I would describe it. And I'm not talking about TP.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank drj2012
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I stayed here in August of 2009 on a road trip that included a Mount Rushmore stop. The place isn't the worst I've ever seen, or even the worst Motel 6 I've ever seen. I'm giving it a thumbs up--you're gonna find Rapid City hotels expensive during the tourist season because of the big rock heads down the canyon. Motel 6 was still dirt cheap. I prefer Sleep Inns, but they ran about 120 bucks.

There's a standard-sized motel pool, and it was clean. The room was small but also clean. I was given an accessible room, so the shower was huge and worked just fine. Sketchy people staying here, but you can't blame the hotel--where else would they stay for these prices? I couldn't sleep, but that's just because I was worried about my stuff in the car. Nothing was ever taken and I felt like the person in the office was keeping a good eye on the situation. When I did sleep, the bed was just fine. I paid for the WiFi but it wouldn't work, and I couldn't get help for it, but it was 2 bucks and they probably would have refunded my money if I asked. It just wasn't worth it.

I think I paid like 50 bucks during the height of tourist season. Beat that! Not a bad place for a night at all.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank ljiljan21
Reviewed 2 August 2010

This is a motel 6. If you're considering staying here, you know what that means. It's bare bones, fairly loud, below average in cleanliness, but overall I found it to be more than I expected. It was cleaner than I expected, and the location is right off the interstate, near several restaurants and a mini golf course. I think for $20-$40 more much better value can be found...but hotels in Rapid City can come at a premium during peak times.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends