All reviews perkins restaurant perkins attached hospitality room indoor pool hot tub would stay again black hills coffee maker south dakota staff was friendly beds were comfortable mt rushmore reunion wallpaper interstate sd
Reviewed June 17, 2018

Upon arrival I was already turned off by this hotel. The exterior of the building has a very creepy feel to it and there were people outside who were drunk and loitering, they seemed like very sketchy creepy people and I did not appreciate them going up to my family and bothering them. We talked to the lady at the front desk about it and the hotel ended up having to call the police on those people, a pretty awful first impression and unwanted feeling of being unsafe.
After checking in we went to our room and had trouble unlocking the door and upon finally entering the room it was very VERY poorly lit, super dim and lacks a range of color. Walls are brown and paper thin, (you can hear people leaving their rooms and talking in the hallways), furniture is beige, overall the whole room lacks color and looks like it straight out of a horror movie, very poorly decorated.
The hotel pool is very very small for the amount of people that fit in this hotel. There is a water slide attached to it but seems like it could be a possible hazard since the pool is a bit shallow for it and there's no lifeguard supervision. Also one thing I found super bizarre is that every time you want to go to the pool you have to get a wristband from front desk, pretty inconvenient and waste of time AND wristbands.
This hotel doesn't offer complimentary breakfast but there is a Perkins attached to it. There is also a bar next to the hotel and some people that have had too much to drink seem to wander over to the hotel a lot, some of them seem like sketchy people, i do not recommend bringing kids or your family around them.
Overall, my stay at this hotel was AWFUL and very short. This hotel is NOT family friendly and i don't recommend that anybody stay here, there are many other better hotels in this area some of which are less than 10 minutes away, i recommend staying at one of those instead of coming to Grand Gateway Hotel

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Julia F
Reviewed June 12, 2018

We stayed at this Hotele on both ends of our trip. The first night was not as good as the backend of our trip. The shower had zero water pressure and there where no washcloths in our room. However, the room was very clean and comfortable. The end of our trip, we stayed for two nights. The water pressure was awesome and there were plenty of washcloths. I had read mixed reviews after booking this hotel. We found it to be clean ad comfortable. The Perkins Restaurant was very handy with good food. if we were to ever find ourselves in South Dakota again, we would stay here,

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

This is our second time staying here and I was disappointed in the Grand Gateway. Our room was sufficient but not very well cleaned. There were three of us staying in the room with only two washcloths and two bath towels, when I went to the front desk to ask for additional all they had available were pulled out walls. After swimming in the pool and no towels were out in the pool area, I had to ask for some at the front desk while we were soaking wet.
This stay I was not impressed. It was $150 per night and I think we could have found better accommodations elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2018 via mobile

I strongly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a great stay with very accommodating staff. The front desk staff were welcoming and respectful. The pool was very nice for my kids. This hotel allows dogs and there was no hassle with our fur baby. My family and I travel a lot and this hotel was by far one of the best we've ever been to. Thank you Grand Gateway!!!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2018

The hotel is reasonable, not the best kept but not gross, not the most modern, but decent. I stayed recently, and paid online, and even received an email saying I was paid in full. After I got my credit card bill, I had an additional charge of $17.24. When I called and asked what it was for, they told me it was their "destination fee," to "pay for maintenance of the hotel and stuff." They claimed it was on the form from my online booking, which I checked, and there, in small notice at the bottom is mention of the $3.95/per room/per day charge which is added by the hotel itself AFTER you are told you are paid in full. Might not seem like much to some, but I don't understand why they aren't just honest from the beginning and state how much it is in TOTAL? It just isn't honest! Another nickel and dime scam. Sorry, Grand Gateway, I am not happy about after-the-fact-charges!

Room Tip: Very noisy air conditioners.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family