“Jessie saved the trip”

Holiday Inn Spearfish - Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Reviewed 28 August 2015

At @ 1145 p.m. Wednesday the 26th of August, the fire alarm at the Holiday Inn full service in Spearfish S.D. awakened most of the state, it seemed, and all the residence of the Inn. A false alearm, we were assured, and in truth it was. However the alarm system continued. It then stopped, then started again, then stopped, then...well, you get the idea.

We dressed and went to the lobby, where a few guests were milling about while management and fire folk ran about trying to silence the system once and for all.
The system finally quieted at about 12:30 a.m. Returning to our rooms, sleep was not soon in coming.

The next morning we discovered that full billing for the night had been charged. A fractional discount at the restaurant was the only offering. For a rather disturbing time and a ruined sleep, more appropriate compensation seemed warranted. We went to the front desk.

And that is where Jessie saved the trip. We asked to speak to the manager. Jessie politely stated the manager was not in yet, and asked if she could help. "Jessie" said I," did you hear about last night?" "Oh, yes" she replied. I put to her an analogy about spilled soup and she said she would expect her meal given gratis , and clothes cleaned or replaced.

"And so, about last night. What can be done" said I. "Let me eliminated your charges, of course" she replied. And she did.

Will corporate America ever wakeup to the fact that fantastic frontline staff, like Jessie,
ARE the corporation? To Jessie, and all the Jessie of the hospitality business; thank you.
You saved the trip.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2015

Dear William Z-

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to give us your feedback. I can certainly appreciate your frustration with an alarm going off in the middle of the night. Unfortunately these mishaps can happen from time to time and I'm very happy with the way Jessie was able to turn your trip around. I thank you so much for bringing this to our attention and I look forward to sharing this with our entire staff, including Jessie. Thank you again for your business and kind words as it means a lot and helps us recognize those deserving employees. I hope you'll visit us again the next time you are in the Spearfish area.

Reviewed 24 August 2015 via mobile

Everything about this Holiday Inn got an
A+ rating from us. Kim at the front desk checked us in always smiling. Gave us directions to the car wash plus other information. Our trip to Luckys pub was very good. The bartender/waiter was friendly and helpful and the food and drinks were very good. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2015

Dear Betty S-

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review your stay with us. We are truly thankful you chose to stay with us and hope you visit us again the next time you visit our area. We appreciate your great review and I'll be sure to pass this along to our entire staff.

Reviewed 16 August 2015

I stayed here the week after the Sturgis rally, so pickings were kinda slim. I'll take a decent hotel like a Holiday Inn if the price is right, and it happened to be thankfully. This is a much larger hotel than you might think for a city the size of Spearfish as it's connected to the city's convention center.

This hotel like many others in the area has its 80s-era indoor pool, which for me is quaint and reminds me of traveling with my folks when i was a kid. It might seem slightly outdated on its face, but I enjoyed it. And the fact that you can get pool-facing rooms is pretty cool.

Slightly outdated but still can be a good bargain. I imagine especially in the winter. Nice summer stay too!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2015

Dear Pat B-

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed virtually everything about your stay with us and I hope you ill come see us again very soon. Thank you for your business and kind words.

Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

After a failed stay at the Spearfish Canyon Lodge (see review) we were left to find a room somewhere (anywhere) at the last minute. My wife was running a marathon in the Spearfish area and so, after a 5 hour flight and a 6 hour drive we just showed up on this property's front doorstep. The staff was PHENOMENAL. We were greeted by friendly, sypathetic staff who immediately got us settled and answered all our questions. Our room was spacious and clean and since the hotel sits on top of a hill away from the roadways it was very quiet. Best part was the property is within easy driving distance from many major attractions, restaurants and stores. The Lucky 13 pub attached to the restaurant has fantastic waitstaff, but the food is average (coffee terrible) hence the one point deduction. Even withe the minor negative I would not hesitate to stay at this property the next time my family and I are passing through. (If you do stay here, you MUST grab a burger at Culver's at the base of the hill below this property).

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family

Dear AJ L-

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words and feedback with us. I'm glad our staff was top notch in your eyes and we were able to meet your needs after a difficult day of traveling. We certainly appreciate your business and hope to see you and your family again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

We stay at this property every year during the Sturgis Race and Rally. It never ceases to amaze us the great job that Kirsten and the staff do during this busiest time of year. They are the main reason we look forward to staying here every year!
Don't forget to go into the Pub for popcorn and say hello to Danica.
Thanks everyone.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends

Dear Ed V-

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a great review! Your kind words are sincerely appreciated and I'll be sure to pass this along to our entire staff including Kirsten and Danica. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again next year!

Reviewed 6 August 2015

We were traveling by motorcycle through South Dakota as part of our annual trip to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. We stopped for one night in Spearfish, on our way to Wyoming for two days. We have stayed here twice before which is why we chose it again. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite. Nice! The king bed was absolutely dreamy. I didn't want to get up in the morning!

Room Tip: Our pool was facing the pool but, because the pool was on the other side of the recreation area, the...
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2015

Dear RitaMpls-

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us again this year during your annual trip! It means a lot to us that you continue to stay with us year in and year out and that you take the time to review our property. I'm glad we were able to upgrade you to a king suite and you found our beds to be dreamy. Thank you again for the kind words and we certainly appreciate your business.

Reviewed 4 August 2015

Stopped here on the way to Big Sky Montana driving from Sioux Falls SD. This was your typical Holiday Inn -nothing special. There was a restaurant - but don't expect a continental breakfast- I was told that's just HI Express. I did request to have extra pillows and a blanket and they were there waiting on me. Perfect for stopping on an interstate drive, clean and felt safe. Bathroom sink was in the room area seperate from the tub and toilet. Rates were high, but it was the week before Sturgis, thank goodness I booked in advance.

Stayed: July 2015
Eric S, Director of Marketing at Holiday Inn Spearfish - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2015

Dear Wootinola-

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your trip to Montana. I'm glad to read you enjoyed virtually everything about your stay and that our staff was able to accommodate your needs for extra pillows and blankets in a very timely manner. It is true that full service Holiday Inn hotels such as ours have a full service restaurant and bar on site rather than the continental breakfast you'd find as smaller express hotels. We certainly appreciate your business and great feedback. Safe travels!

Director of Marketing

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spearfish
3.1 km away
Travelodge Spearfish
#7 of 14 in Spearfish
13.7 km away
Deadwood Mountain Grand Hotel, a Holiday Inn Resort

Been to Holiday Inn Spearfish - Convention Center? Share your experiences!