“Great sleeping choice in Spearfish”
Review of Kozy Motel

Kozy Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spearfish
Kozy Motel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Reviewed 5 July 2016

The Kozy Motel fits very well in the Spearfish area. Spearfish has lots of eclectic establishments with an emphasis on arts and music (in my opinion anyways). If you don't like homogenized travelling experiences than you might like it here.

Same with the Kozy Motel. It's dated and has some wear and tear but the rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable. I really appreciate being able to park right in front of my motel room door. The location is walking distance to many restaurants and bars. In fact there's a bar across the alley that had pleasant outdoor music (a TX woman with her acoustic guitar). I could hear the music outside but not in my room.

Like most unique places there's a few things to consider at the Kozy Motel:
1. Parking is tight. No trailers will fit.
2. No hair dryer
3, The AC wall unit is extremely loud. My wife had to wear ear plugs. Usually Spearfish cools off at night so this is rare.
4. There was a little more wear and tear in my room this time. It's amazing this place looks so nice after so many years of the sturgis rally but there's room for some maintenance upkeep.

The pluses outweigh these small issues:
1. Pleasant check in experience
2. Reasonable prices
3. Clean, quiet and safe.
4. Great location for taking in downtown Spearfish
5. Unique lodging experience like days gone by- not for everyone perhaps but definitely for me.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2015

Wanted a bed only. not looking for amenities. Traveling solo so not wanting to spend lots of money. After reading the three Trip Advisor reviews of this motel, I decided to check it out. $52 (before tax) for single. I took room #120 end of line of rooms, one bed and way from street so quiet. I was so so pleased. Clean, nice air conditioning, one block from down town, wine and tapas bar around the corner. The lady checking me in was absolutely first-rate with information and tourist ideas. I wanted to travel Spearfish Canyon to see colors....but avoid crowds....7AM too early as sun not hitting, 7:30 nice time as sun is hitting the hillsides. Would stay here again solo. With kids I would probably stay elsewhere that had a pool, etc. But for a couple or solo, this is the spot! Wi-fi is free and is strong signal. TV is cable and hard to see. Didn't matter though as I walked downtown for dinner and watched sports on TV at sports bar, and worked and wrote in the room as wi-fi was strong.

Room Tip: Room at end is quiet. But every room seems quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank sambagarly
Reviewed 22 August 2015 via mobile

This is by far one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed at! It was so clean in fact, that I actually took a bath in the tub. I would not do that at most places. The carpet was amazing and soft. I also loved the timeless feel of this hotel. The area the hotel is located in also was a very nice, and safe area close to downtown. Lastly, the owner was a very kind woman and made me feel very welcome! I would definitely recommend this place, and should I come back this way I will stay here again! It is very clear the owner takes pride in her hotel. Thanks for a wonderful nights rest!

Stayed: August 2015
3  Thank Allyson H
Reviewed 2 June 2015

I stayed unexpectedly due to a storm and found this a very nice place. The people were friendly and the room small but very clean. There was no coffe or breakfast but the proprietor (the couple lives on site, which is nice) pointed me to a nice coffee shop, and Main Street businesses are just a block away. One downside was a lot of street noise, but is wasn't noticed at night, only in the morning. The bed was a bit soft but comfortable.

Room Tip: Try to be farther from the street for quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Ruth R
Reviewed 29 September 2014

I found it best to inspect older motels "off the internet grid" prior to renting a room. The Bell Motel I inspected had a very strong room freshener and was of lesser quality construction so I tried the Kozy Motel. Yes it's not new, but you know what they say about old cars, it's not the age but the miles. The room I had was very clean. It smelled clean, looked clean and was tastefully decorated. The bathroom had no mold in the corners and the floor felt clean (by my bare feet assessment) enough to eat off. The only damage I could see was the sheet rock tape came apart by the front door. Everything else was in very good condition.

No doubt the pleasant woman who checked me was the proprietor. Here are some details of the room:
Neat as a pin
Comfortable bed with useful headboard/nightstand set up
AC worked but it was loud. I like white noise but this was just too much for me.
The fridge was cold
Door locks worked
19 CRT tv worked but had to be cranked up to hear over the AC.
Strong water pressure and plenty of hot water. I didn't get the cold/scalding shower treatment when another room turned water on.
Nice Towels (a set for two people)
No hair dryer. Wife not happy about this one (usually stay at Hampton Inn's or HI Express).
No coffee in room and no food (as usual) I hate in house coffee machines anyways. Those things are disgusting:/
Parking spots are a bit tight but there were some longer spots in the back.

So there it is. Whether you search for mom and pop motels or are used to higher end hotels but need an alternative, this place won't disappoint. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple