The Kozy Motel fits very well in the Spearfish area. Spearfish has lots of eclectic establishments with an emphasis on arts and music (in my opinion anyways). If you don't like homogenized travelling experiences than you might like it here.
Same with the Kozy Motel. It's dated and has some wear and tear but the rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable. I really appreciate being able to park right in front of my motel room door. The location is walking distance to many restaurants and bars. In fact there's a bar across the alley that had pleasant outdoor music (a TX woman with her acoustic guitar). I could hear the music outside but not in my room.
Like most unique places there's a few things to consider at the Kozy Motel:
1. Parking is tight. No trailers will fit.
2. No hair dryer
3, The AC wall unit is extremely loud. My wife had to wear ear plugs. Usually Spearfish cools off at night so this is rare.
4. There was a little more wear and tear in my room this time. It's amazing this place looks so nice after so many years of the sturgis rally but there's room for some maintenance upkeep.
The pluses outweigh these small issues:
1. Pleasant check in experience
2. Reasonable prices
3. Clean, quiet and safe.
4. Great location for taking in downtown Spearfish
5. Unique lodging experience like days gone by- not for everyone perhaps but definitely for me.