“Fun, Interesting, Clean, Engaging, Relaxing, great food and DELICIOUS sweet tea!”
Review of Blue Moon Cruises - CLOSED

Blue Moon Cruises
More attraction details
Owner description: The Blue Moon is a 77 foot luxury cruiser offering eco-tours and evening cruises on the Tennessee River in Downtown Chattanooga. From both decks you will have great views of the river and all the abundant wildlife. January and Feburuary the Blue Moon moves to the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge about 30 minutes north of Chattanooga to experience the amazing migration of 15,000 SandHill Cranes and nesting Bald Eagles. Cruise dates and times vary based on the season. All trips include a meal- group and youth rates are available.
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I took a short 2.5 hour cruise on Blue Moon on Sunday, August 22. Granted, Groupon was what hooked me with a buy-one-get-one free deal, but once on board, the cruise was a fantastic experience. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves nature, water, boats, and a relaxing, interesting day on the river.

The boat is large enough for about 50 people, but on this particular Sunday, there were maybe 20 of us--a great number. The food was served buffet style in the downstairs, enclosed, air-conditioned part of the boat, and it was very well-presented in steel catering dishes (all with lids). Everything was warm (or cold, as appropriate) and the food consisted of: Potato Salad, Slaw, Pulled Chicken, Pulled Pork, buns, barbeque sauce, Potato Chips, Brownies, Cherry Pastries, and the best sweet tea I've had in a long-long time. I probably had six glasses while on the cruise. The buffet was all-you-can-eat, which was nice for going back for a brownie later on.

Upstairs, on the upper deck (no enclosure, but with a nice shade canopy and plenty of seating, there is a cash bar serving beer (about six or eight brands including Fat Tire, Yeungling, and the basics, too) along with mixed drinks--probably most anything you want made from vodka, whiskey, rum, tequila, and so on. The bartender, John, was a wealth of information about the cruise, the boat, the area in general--ask him to recommend a local bar or restaurant. The Terminal is my favorite, next to the Choo Choo Hotel.

The Captain does a great job narrating the cruise--pointing out wildlife and historic areas along the river.
The seating and tables are comfortable and varied.
The boat (including the bathrooms (the Head) is very clean.
The pier where you board is easily accessible and convenient (just "behind" the Tennessee Aquarium on the river)
Parking (at MOST) will cost you $5. But, if you go on Sunday, parking along the street in well-marked spaces is free. If you cannot find a free space along the street--we found one no problem--just park in any of the plenty of spaces opposite the pier.

In summary, this was a great experience. I love boats and the water, so this was a perfect fit for me.

Children might become a little bored--the only things to do are eat, sight-see, have a drink, relax, tour the pilot house--so this is GREAT for adults, and probably PERFECT for seniors. Kids should probably bring their PSP (portable game system). You could even play a few hands of cards with your group if you like.

As you are cruising the river, you never lose cell service, so you can send an e-mail or two, upload a pic to Facebook (I did!) or even chat a little while cruising.

It's all a great experience, and I highly recommend it.

2  Thank JasonFordham

Reviewed 6 August 2011

We'd bought discounted tickets through Groupon and found the booking experience very easy. We drove down to the riverside earlier in the day to figure out where the boarding would be - using the address in the GPS, we had no trouble, and the boarding is signed. The parking is free on the street after 4.30pm, but this is limited so be prepared to pay to park in the well-lit lot opposite the city pier.

The welcome was warm, the boarding host was friendly and explained clearly what was to come. The bottom level of the boat was air-conditioned, but there was a light breeze, so we sat upstairs in the open area by the bar.

The bar is well stocked and adult beverages are available at a very reasonable cost. The buffet was laid out promptly and was available from the time the cruise began. There were only around 25-30 passengers, and with 3-4 cruise staff, we were well looked after.

The buffet was simple and tasty, with BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw, potato salad, chips and pickles - with brownies and cake bites available for dessert, with coffee. The highlight, however, was the knowledgeable and entertaining guide, who talked us through what we were seeing as we cruised west down the river from the pier, past Lookout Mountain then following the river north, past the Williams Island Park and beyond, before turning right on time and bringing us back to the pier.

When we arrived back, the free open-air riverside live music was in full swing (7-10pm weekends throughout the summer) with drinks and food trucks. We could have stayed longer but wanted to avoid getting stuck in the inevitable traffic jam getting out of town.

The sunset Eco-cruise is something we'd recommend and would definitely be prepared to pay full price for again. The crew really make it a great event, but the boat is clean and comfortable and is a great experience. Recommended!

Reviewed 3 August 2011

As a young traveler I always loved cruising, even today I do enjoy it all. But it was somewhat strange that even after 4years of our marriage, I could not manage to take my wife for cruising anywhere. None of our trips after marriage gave us the opportunity to reinvent the fun and excitement. With Blue Moon it was the chance to live the spirit again. My wife loved the entire tour like I did. The touring was informative also, we could know several things about the river and surroundings. Yes, recommended.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

A lively evening cruise on the TN River. Wonderful Eco tour of the area. Yummy dinner and excellent accommodations. Must try this cruise company, better experience than some of the bigger boats.