New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“A Fun Tour, Even for Native Chattanoogans! (minus the annoying zombies)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chattanooga Sidewalk Tours

Chattanooga Sidewalk Tours
Ranked #16 of 28 Tours in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Give us about a mile and 90 minutes, and our experienced and entertaining guides will take you through 175 years of history, personalities, and entertainment. You’ll have your choice of Dynamo of Dixie Downtown tour where you will walk among cherished landmarks and impressive architecture or Bluff and Bridges tour where you will stroll among beautiful sculptures and historic sites…plus, you’ll walk across one of the longest pedestrian bridges in the world.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Fun Tour, Even for Native Chattanoogans! (minus the annoying zombies)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

I took the Bluffs and Bridges tour on a Friday night. I've lived in Chattanooga my whole life and had an absolute blast learning new things about the city. Krista did a great job of catering to our group, mixing in cool tidbits for both the adults and the kids in the crowd. I was impressed how so much information was packed into a very easy stroll and that it was more conversational than a lecture. I wouldn't just suggest for tourists who want to learn about the city, but history buffs who have lived in the Scenic City for a long time!

2 Thank Rwprussell

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun and Informative Visit of the Art District of Chattanooga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

I learned a lot about Chattanooga's history during this 1 hour 1/2 tour. The guides were very knowledgeable, friendly and witty. They were able to answer all the questions our group had about the river and the Art District.

I took the "Bluffs and Bridges" Tour and plan to take the "Dynamo of Dixie" tour really soon. I'm sure to learn a lot more about downtown Chattanooga. I won't hesitate to take visiting friends and family from out of town on this learning walk. It's super fun to know more about how our city came to be what it is today.

1 Thank clairevassort
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
“Great activity for locals or visitors to explore the beauty and history of Chattanooga.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2011

I am originally from Chattanooga but moved away about 5 years ago. While on a return trip visiting family, we decided to take the Chattanooga Sidewalk Tour, because it was something new that had generated some local buzz.

What a fantastic evening! The tour we went on (Bluffs and Bridges tour) was excellent for 3 reasons: scenery, information, and flexibility.

1 Scenery
The tour includes a trip across the Walnut street bridge, Coolidge Park, and the Bluff View Arts District. The trip was timed so that the trip over the bridge and back across occurs right as the sun is starting to set. This gave us a magnificent view of the river, the bluffs, the park, and the entire city nestled at the foot of the mountain. We were four native Chattanoogans and were still surprised by the beauty of our city.

2 Information
The tour was structured to give the history that accompanied the sights and scenery we were experiencing, some bits well known and others more obscure. The tour began with the history of the Walnut Street Bridge as it related to the Civil War and the industrialization of Chattanooga. The tour ended with a walk through the arts district and the tour guide explained how the industrialization that we had talked about on the bridge eventually contributed to the creation of the arts district. The obscure info was very fascinating and the well known history was made more interesting because of how it tied in to what we were actually seeing.

3 Flexibility
This tour was much more enjoyable than other tours that I have taken in other cities because of the flexibility that the tour guide allowed. She shortened parts that we were already familiar with and expanded on the parts that intrigued us. The style of the touring was very engaging and interactive. We were not following someone, we were exploring. We were not listening to a speech, it was a dialogue.

-Definitely bring your camera, you'll want to take pictures.
-You should wear walking shoes on and dress lightly, but I would recommend bringing a jacket or long sleeves. It can get a little chilly on the water after the sun goes down.
-From start to finish, the tour lasted an hour and a half. But it could be shorter or longer; like I said, the tour is very flexible.

“Money Well Spent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2011

I went on the Bluffs and Bridges tour on a Wednesday evening. The tour started by focusing on some of the historical elements of Chattanooga (and the significance of the Walnut Street Bridge) and ended with a walk through the art district showcasing several outdoor sculptures and art pieces.

I've lived in the Chattanooga area for most of my life. It was a real treat to hear some of the stories and learn just a little bit of the history in a non-classroom setting.

New Hampshire
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great guides!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

Really interesting tour, full of information and good tour guides. I especially love all the interesting animals on the carousel! Great time of year to be out and about in Chattanooga.