“Poor: Internet Connection”

Ranked #49 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
San Francisco, California
“Poor: Internet Connection”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I rely on a good internet connection for travel information, dining and tourist search, connecting back home, even for a little music in an otherwise modest, homogenized hotel room.
You won't get it here. And you won't get informed help from staff either. They claim there is an in-room LAN-cable connection, but I guarantee it doesn't work at all. They said they don't have wi-fi even though a very weak signal shows up but won't stay connected.
I have broadband wi-fi at home; so does everybody I know. Wake up, Holiday Inn-Smith Rd...your services appeal to <20% of the travel market.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrbmbacpa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
mrbmbacpa,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
East Bethel, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I was welcomed with a warm smile and a hello! I had been traveling all day for business and I felt right at home! Brittany at the front desk treated my like a good friend. So friendly and helpful! My say here was flawless. Clean room, great TV, amazing breakfast, hot coffee and a very comfortable bed! I will be back and you will LOVE you stay here!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ashley S
Brighton, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We left Detroit in early morning and stopped outside of Knoxville at a free "wifi" coffee shop and booked this hotel on line based on TA reviews. When we arrived around 10 pm. our room was ready and bed was comfortable. We went out for a bite to eat and returned around midnight. Ready for bed and still had emails to send to the children. SHOCK! No place on or near the desk to plug the computer in. Had to pull out the small fridge with microwave on it to access a power point. Then had to get dressed to go to the front desk to get a cable. Breakfast was good and I did mention the problem with the furniture position in the room for using ones laptop. "Cindy" did apologize on behalf of Holiday Inn. I just hope that for the next room guest, this has been rectified as it was a waste of my time. I do agree with others that the hotel is a little over priced.

Room Tip: Make sure there is a power point near the desk for using your laptop and that you can access the net...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank suitcase2011
Estero, Florida
Reviewed 25 January 2012

If you have ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, then you know what to expect here. It's a comfortable budget hotel with a great complimentary breakfast. You can't beat this location's proximity to I-75 and the airport. The staff was very helpful (gave me a DSL cord when I had problems with the wireless Internet). I'll stay here again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank happycj24
Saint Marys, Ohio
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The hotel looks nice and is in an area with quite a few restaurants. Check in was swift, and walk in rates were the same as internet rates. The front desk staff was friendly. The room was clean, but the frames under the beds squeaked when you sat on the bed. We have kids, so of course they couldn't sit still when on the bed and the squeaks were almost too much. The bathroom showed a bit of wear but it was clean and well stocked. The seat for the desk was too low and the arm that adjusts it was missing. The wireless internet did not work, but the front desk had ethernet cables you could borrow. The beds were comfortable, but the pillows were very lumpy. The pillowcases indicated soft or firm pillows, but they all felt the same.
Breakfast was typical - eggs and bacon, cereal, yogurt, toast, english muffins, small donuts and juice/coffee. They did have a pancake machine, which my daughter loved. The person restocking the breakfast stayed busy and did a good job of keeping everything stocked.
I really felt like the room was overpriced, and probably won't stay at this specific hotel again. Drop the rate about $20 and it would be a decent value for the money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Nice looking place with a friendly staff. Beds were comfortable.

On the downside, I killed two unwelcome baby roaches on the desk and bathroom countertop. Guess they're baaaaack !!!!

I had no hot water until 10:00 a.m. the first morning. Bad surprise on a cold morning. Apparently others complained as well. It was finally fixed. Some peeling wall paper and wall caulk/floor base tile separations in the bathroom. A long vertical sheetrock crack behind the desk did not add to the ambiance. The chair at the desk was way too low for the desk. The pancakes out of the autocooker were more like "silver dollar" sized compared to what I'm used to seeing at other Holiday Inn Express.

The gym was "closed until further notice" both days of my stay. It only contained 2 ea. treadmills and recumbent bikes.

From a technical standpoint, the TV was the old, tube type and the battery cover would not stay on the remote. I could not pick up wifi on my computer, so I resorted to my superslow Sprint aircard.

Worst part was there was no hot water till 10:00 a.m. the first morning; hence, no hot shower for me today!

There isn't much to do in this area, nor are there many good (healthy) dining choices (other than fast feeders). Next time I will stay by Hamilton Place mall at one of the places on Shallowford.

Sorry to be so negative; I often stay at Holiday Inn Express as I'm on the road over 100 days per year. This time it was disappointing.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard D
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We were extremely pleased with our stay! I had read some reviews about the front desk being super friendly and helpful..ie Cindy.. and the reviews proved true and then some! Let me not leave out the manager, Wesley..he extended himself in our behalf and contributed to an outstanding HIExp experience. Cindy & Wesley gave great suggestions on sights to visit, they helped us to weigh our options and although the weather was a little cloudy we enjoyed our stay!!! Cindy not only helped us locate a restaurant but also printed out the directions for us!!! BRAVO!

Room Tip: We requested a room not near the elevator and that was helpful. Very quiet location, we felt very co...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thenine1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chattanooga
0.2 km away
7.2 km away
Holiday Inn - Hamilton Place
Holiday Inn - Hamilton Place
#42 of 97 in Chattanooga

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!