“Good experience”

Raccoon Mountain Caverns
Ranked #1 of 154 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Raccoon Mountain Caverns is located just 1.3 miles off of I-24 at the Lookout Valley exit (#174), and is less than ten minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Visitors are presented with a cave in its natural state and our 45-minute (+/-) Crystal Palace Walking Tour allows them to view thousands of diverse formations - stalagtites, stalagmites, delicate soda straws, flowstone, rimstone pools, draperies, columns, natural bridges, and a rare shield formation. We also offer a variety of wild cave "spelunking" expeditions for those who want to view beyond the lighted pathways and explore deeper into the mountain. Our Waterfall Dome expedition permits visitors to view the areas tallest underground, natural (unassisted) flowing waterfall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I would have given this place a 5 star review but they were doing constriction and there were no signs at the ticket counter letting you know they were in a building across the street. Also they give their last tour at 4p and I was unaware and came slightly after. However they still took me down. My guide was very knowledgeable and was actually a studying geologist. I do feel like the tour was a bit rushed and quick compared to other cave tours ive been on but I understand I came at the last minute. Also I could see a majority of the people visting this cave were doing excursion tours. The walking tour is only a small park of the cave where as the excursion tours explore more areas of the cave. The age limit for excursions is 6 and I would definitely come back and do it when my son is a bit older. Overall it was a great knowledgeable experience and we will come back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,257)
All reviews
in 15 reviews
"an adventure"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful visit. Scarlett was our guide and did great job. She was awesome with the younger kids and very informative. It was all better than we could've imagined.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

This was a last minute idea as we spent the night in Chattanooga the night before. I read online and the reviews were fantastic so my 10 year old son and I gave it a try. We LOVED it! I'm not even a fan of small spaces (elevators sometimes make me feel jittery) but I was able to do the Canyon Crawl. At first when she pointed where we had to go, I have to say I was a bit nervous....but by the end of our hike I was going head first into holes you were barely able to squeeze into. Scarlett, our guide, was very informative, friendly and knowledgeable. Go give this a try! It's SO worth it! Also -where old clothing - you are gonna get dirty!!

Reviewed April 4, 2018

We started our long weekend to Chattanooga with the Crystal Palace tour, and it was by far, the best thing we did! Lucas was our guide, and he was fun, full of knowledge, and seemed to really enjoy what he was doing. The caverns were great and not as crowded as other sites such as Ruby Falls. We had a spectacular time and will definitely be back again!

See more reviews
Reviewed April 3, 2018

This was no cookie cutter experience. Everything was perfect from start to finish... the location, the small group setting, the staff, and most of all, our guide, Ben. He made us feel so confident and relaxed as he "crawled" us through this amazing adventure. They're not kidding when they say it is strenuous, but at the same time, I feel like most people could do the basic "wild cave" tour, and have a lifelong memory. AWESOME!