1,660 results
All reviews historic hotel valet parking porter's steakhouse valet service junior suite historic feel beautiful lobby per day downtown chattanooga broad street sitting area free shuttle fitness center an older hotel indoor pool choo choo starbucks
Reviewed February 12, 2017 via mobile

Nice older hotel. Old feel in a good way. Historic but would be amazing if they renovated just a bit. Old touches like the key hole and door handle of the closet door was cute. But tub needs to be redone. Didn't want to step on because of it chipping. I normally do not stay at pet friendly hotels but my husband booked this one. The reason why was right outside our door. Stepped out to see dog waste Waiting for us. Not the hotels fault. That is the pet owners. But that is why I don't prefer pet friendly hotels. Hotel restaurant was nice for drinks ( did not eat there) servers were all very nice. Impressed with service... Hotel accommodated our late check out which we appreciate. Over all nice property and would stay again when we come back with kids. Hard to review with only a quick night stay. Perfect location. Uber is easy and we also walked a lot.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly B
Jim B, Manager at The Read House, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2017

Thank you for your review. We are in the planning phase of our renovation plans. We are scheduled to start sometime this summer. We do accept pets and try to keep them in one location. I am sorry for the mess... I am glad you will be bringing the whole family next time. Chattanooga is a great family destination with many great attractions. We look forward to having you back.

Thanks,

Jim

Reviewed February 7, 2017 via mobile

This is our go to place to stay. It's a wonderful historic hotel with a modern touch. In a great part of downtown... walk to shop and eat while feeling safe. The customer service is also incredible! I have been very pleased each time we have stayed.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am happy to hear you are a repeat customer. Our goal is to give great service to all of our guests so they will come back to visit us the next time they are in town. We look forward to your next visit.

Thanks,

Jim

Reviewed February 5, 2017 via mobile

My stay at the Read House was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I would actually rate this hotel a "0" if that were an option. The hotel itself was filthy -- the hallway rugs desperately needed vacuuming. The elevators were sluggish, and dirty. The hallways were in need of paint, new wall paper and updated rugs. The room was in disrepair --paint peeling, bathroom lights were cheaply replaced with lights that were too small and crooked. THERE WAS NO SOUND PROOFING BETWEEN THE ROOMS. WE COULD HEAR EVERYTHING THAT WAS GOING ON IN EACH OF THE ROOMS NEXT TO OURS. The restaurant service took an hour to get served breakfast when there was no one else in the restaurant. The help did not see to care or pay any attention to our needs. By far the worst experience I have ever had. The pool was in total disrepair -- paint peeling and dirty -- it matched the state of the entire hotel. I would have been totally embarrassed to have worked in this hotel it was sooo bad. What ever it takes DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!!!!!!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank GMPJohn
Reviewed February 5, 2017 via mobile

Great location and friendly service. The Read House was recently purchased and will undergo a renovation later this year, so this review is based on my experience at the current hotel. A renovation is needed, but we still enjoyed our stay here.

Location - just a few minutes from I-24 so very easy to get to from the highway. Located near many of the tourist hotspots - either walking distance (or very short Uber/Taxi) to the Tennessee Aquarium, Chattanooga Choo Choo, Walnut Street Walking Bridge (amazing views and takes you straight into North Chattanooga for shops/restaurants), Hunter Art Museum, etc.

Hotel - the lobby and entry level area is like stepping back in time (in a good way). Beautiful, elegant space.

Bar - nice bar at the hotel restaurant with several local beers on tap.

Rooms - we stayed in room 304, a Junior Suite. The rooms are well taken care of but definitely show some wear. The bathroom has very little storage space and we ended up keeping many of our toiletries in the bedroom. The tub also showed some signs of age.

Parking - best option here is to valet for $15 a night with unlimited in and out privileges. I called down a few minutes before we needed the car and it was there every time.

Local Restaurants - we loved the Blue Plate (all day breakfast), St. John's Meeting Place (upscale, great food and cool restaurant that is the more affordable little brother of St. John's Restaurant), and had fun having drinks at Stir.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2017 via mobile

Located in downtown Chattanooga near restaurants. Parking is valet $15 per day and you can come and go as much as you want. The hotel is beautiful, the first hotel in the city. Check in was easy, guest get a goodie bag. The room we had was huge but the clock radio didn't work and the chairs need to be cleaned or replaced. The bedding didn't match. One bed had a heavy plastic blanket the other one was normal. The curtains were excellent, they kept out the outside light. Overall it was a great experience and I would stay again but the rooms need some TLC.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family