“Nice place for lunch”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

We were passing through Johnson City on our way from one destination to another and thought we would stop in for lunch. I was surprised at how much the city has grown since last I was there decades ago. We stopped in at Café Lola and were pleasantly and probably greeted by Marcus. They have the wine selection behind the bar and I recognize a few bottles is mid range in price and quality. There were a number of others that were unfamiliar to me. I did not partake of any because it was mid day and I knew I would be driving for several hours. It looks like they had a reasonable selection for lunch for those not traveling too far.
I had a very nice Panini. It was how about nine dollars as I recall. We had iced tea to drink with lemon. The soup of the day was tomato basil and we each had a couple. My wife had some sort of flatbread with hummus which she said was very good also. Overall the service was very good the food was tasty and I thought it was a reasonable place to stop in for lunch. It wasn’t fantastic, but the food taste and quality was very good. I would definitely stop in again if I were to be passing through at lunchtime. It was clean, the service was very good and the amount of food for lunch was just about perfect. There were mostly healthy choice items on the menu.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

Wonderful dinner experience. Starting with a nice bourbon and lavender mojito, we both loved our salads (kale / goat cheese) and our entrees. Cobia (hand filet in house) and Sea Bass (the best I ever had!). A Malbec by the glass was flavorful and try a coffee after dinner. You will be teased by the smell as it brews! I loved the cream brûlée and my associate loved the adffogato (vanilla bean ice cream with espresso poured on top!).

Small and quaint but easy to find off Roan. No tv, so not a place to watch a game. But a nice bar selection and reasonably quiet for conversation.

Ask for James! So knowledgeable and he loves what he does. Six star IMO!

Reviewed August 21, 2018

The Princess and I ate here for lunch yesterday. It has a bit of a ladies' tea-room chic-chic frou-frou atmosphere about it. The one waiter was a bit ... frantic, I suppose is the best word, which was discomfiting. If he could've slowed down and been a bit more systematic, I think his service and the diners' experience would improve. The Princess had the Crab Cakes sandwich with a little green salad, and I had one of the quiches of the day, specifically the Tomato, Spinach and Goat Cheese quiche, along with a cup of Tomato Basil soup. Everything was good. Not great, not bad. Just good. Nothing flipped our skirts up, nothing stood up and said wow. Neither one of us thought we would be tempted to come back. Average just really doesn't cut it any more, and this place is the definition of Average.

Reviewed August 6, 2018

Our meals were unique and tasted pretty good. However, everything seemed quite overpriced. Servers were very friendly.

Reviewed July 26, 2018

Have been a fan of locally owned Cafe Lola for several years. I have never had a bad meal or poor service in this establishment. Finally had a chance to try brunch and found it to be up their usual standard of excellence. I had the steak and eggs, while some others in my party had omelets, eggs benedict, or breakfast panini. All the food was prepared to perfection. We were a fairly large party and were served promptly and efficiently. I was very impressed and hope to go back soon.