“Would Be 5 Stars, If Not. . .”
Review of Raffaele's

Raffaele's
Ranked #23 of 268 Restaurants in Kingsport
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2016

Tucked into a corner at a small nondescript strip mall in the Colonial Heights section of Kingsport is Raffaele's, a worthy stop for a bite to eat, so don't let the bland appearance of the strip mall fool you. Step inside the cafe and you'll be pleasantly surprised by a quiet and cozy cafe interior. I admit, even though I had been told by locals that the Italian food here was excellent, I was expecting a noisy delicatessen interior... and it is not like that, at all. The offerings are casual. My husband had a calzone and according to him, it was one of the best he's ever had. No scrimping on stuffing and the calzone bread tasted made-from-scratch. I chose an Eggplant dish with a side of spaghetti and I was very pleased. The eggplant cutlets were not sloppy soft, nor drowning in the marinara sauce, which was rich, non-acidic and full of body, no tomato-soup tasting sauce, here. We stopped in for a late lunch, at about 2, and were quickly seated. The place was busy, but not packed, so the ambiance was not a rushed sense and the table service was good. My only complaint is that one table away from us was a lone diner, a man about in his 40s who was watching some sort of program on his smart phone. The volume was so high we looked around to see if the cafe had a TV on. No TV in view... that was when we realized it was the customer just one table away and he was watching a loud program (TV, movie?) on his phone! Truly this was annoying and we weren't the only diners who noticed. The man was near the end of his meal. I did not say anything to our waitress until after the rude customer left. I asked the waitress if he was a regular customer. She confirmed he was. I then said we were annoyed by his rude behavior and if we were to dine here again and this happened I would ask the staff to speak to him. Her reply was that "chances are you'll probably not cross paths again." She did add that if this happens again, to please notify the staff... makes me wonder if the staff is deaf and why a customer would need to bring this type of annoying behavior to the attention of the wait staff.

Date of visit: July 2016

Reviewed June 25, 2016

I have been searching far and wide for good Italian AND good pizza in Tennessee. Until I went to Raffaele's, it had all been just "OK food." Raffaele's nailed it. The first time I went, I had the eggplant parmigiana with angel hair. It was absolutely delicious, authentic and the sauce was supreme. I decided to go back for pizza with extra cheese and onion. I finally found a place that makes really GOOD pizza! I haven't had good pizza since moving from upstate NY. Kudos. Even though I live farther from Kingsport now, I will be making regular trips to Raffaele's.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed June 15, 2016 via mobile

I eat there regularly for lunch and I have never been disappointed. Good portion sizes and friendly staff. Chicken Marsala or Alla Pasta Raffaeles is my favorite

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed May 18, 2016

As soon as you walk into this restaurant, the wonderful smell of garlic teases your taste buds! I had the chicken alfredo and it was fabulous!!! You can't go wrong eating here!!

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed April 13, 2016

We went hear on the recommendation of our hotel receptionist, and having read the reviews and we weren't disappointed. We were a party of 7 and so it was a good job we called ahead to book as the place was rammed on this Friday evening.

Our waitress was absolutely fantastic - friendly and attentive, making sure the drinks were refilled without having to ask.

We ordered three pizzas to share between six of us and a Lasagna for the boy as well as some side salads. The pizzas were plenty big enough although all were finished in the end and declared to be some of the best people had had - great crust, not too much cheese and generous toppings.

Date of visit: March 2016

Been to Raffaele's? Share your experiences!