“I will return to this "Feels Like Home" cottage”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Spiddal
Cloch na Scith Thatched Cottage
Ranked #1 of 14 Spiddal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The Thatched Cottage was more than I expected. I really wanted to experience a turf fire and see how bread was made on the fire. I was able to do that and much more. The hospitality was exceptional. The room we stayed in was very nicely decorated, comfortable, with bathroom, overlooking the Aran Islands and peaceful. Seeing the ocean each time we came to the room was a bonus.

It was the first time my 83 yr. old mother had been to Ireland and she felt at home at this B and B. We had wonderful breakfasts, tea whenever we wanted and the proprietor was available when needed for questions and help. I had planned a two night stay and we ended up staying five nights. We walked to Spiddal (about a mile) and there were many walking routes available on request. We were able to catch the bus right outside the B and B and when we rented a car, there was plenty of parking available for us.

Everything about the Cottage felt authentic. The hospitality felt authentic and the food was marvelous. I loved see the Irish setter out on the property, the goats and ducks and the rocks meeting up with the ocean. When I return to do some hiking on the Connemara, I will return to the Cloch Na Scith to stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank motionwater

Reviewed 12 June 2010

Just returned from a week staying in the self catering cottage and had a wonderful time.
it was just gorgeous! It had loads of character and felt really authentic (it reminded me of staying in my grannies thatched cottage when i was little!) but had the benefit of all the modern conveniences (decent oven, fridge, microwave, lovely furnishings, ensuite in the main bedroom, lovely sunroom and outside private decking area).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I stayed in Cloc na Scith Thatch Cottage in July with a friend for 2 nights (& other friends up the road in another B&B). Being a frequent traveller, for me this place is a little gem & I highly recommend it !The welcome was second to none ! We were offered a wee drink before we went out for dinner. Home made cake was laid on the table for us when we got back, cold & tired from a big day out on the Aran Islands. Nancy, was extremely friendly, available & helpful. Cottage was very comfortable, lovely breakfasts with home made bread & very very typical Irish atmosphere ! There was tea & coffee at our disposal any time we wanted & always a little turf fire in the sitting room there which made it all the more cosier. I didn't have enough cash on me to pay & the son drove me to the bank to take out money & then accompanied me to the bus stop for my ongoing trip to Galway. What can I say, excellent welcome, very accommodating, nice, friendly, homely...I am so happy that this sort of place still exists in Ireland...! : )

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Superb views fom upstairs bedroons over Galway Bay good facilities, excellent cooking and free Baileys at night!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2009

*the B&B is an authentic thatched cottage
*the best porridge among all the 5 B&Bs we stayed in ireland
*delish apple crepes and the apple bread is baked on the fireplace
*Nancy was lovely and warm, "just like a mom". She treated us very well!
*the first B&B we had where guests are seated on one table. we had fun though
because all the guests we sat with, were all interesting and friendly
*tip, if you want to watch the sunset at Galway Bay, have an early dinner at Padraicin's Restaurant, from there walk a few feet and watch the sunset by the beach. Maybe you''ll even be rewarded with a rainbow (like we did). a precious experience for us!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irishandpinay
Reviewed 2 August 2009

One of the nicest experience in Ireland; top class hospitality, home made bread still warm in the morning; high attention to every details.
A place where it is worth spendin one or more days during your Irish holidays

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Cloch na Scith is a lovely B&B if you'd like to stay out of Galway and in a 130 year old traditional thatched cottage. Breakfast was very nice (not outstanding) though the fruit salad was very nice and it was lovely to share it with others staying at the B&B. Our expectations were definitely met during our two night stay. Driving in and out of Galway wasn't an issue for us.
We didn't quite get the welcome that others have described but Nancy Hopkins-Naughton, the owner, is a warm woman and bakes bread daily for her guests - hard to beat that! Guests are welcome to use the living room.
Our bedroom and bathroom were modern (a contrast to the thatched cottage) and clean.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Funloverforever
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spiddal
2.2 km away
Oranmore Lodge Hotel
#2 of 5 in Oranmore
0.0 km away
An Caladh Gearr Thatch Cottage B+B

Been to Cloch na Scith Thatched Cottage? Share your experiences!