“great hotel”

The Killeshin Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I would recommend this hotel to all. I stayed for business purposes and although its a bit of walk from town its worth it. Lovely large rooms very modern hotel and good food what more could you ask for. Did not try the leisure centre but looked great. also got great rate from booking.com will be back.

Room Tip: rooms at back are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank oconnell413

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Just back from a short stay in The Killeshin hotel .Lovely hotel ,the rooms were large and spotless,staff were friendly and helpful .We had a lovely meal in the restaurant .Unfortunately we didn't have time to try the leisure center,which looked great,maybe next time.I would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Stayed in the hotel New Years eve. Hotel is only a few years old and kept in very good condition. Rooms nice and modern only downside was there was no remote for the tv and when I rang front desk about it they were unable to locate another one for me so no tv as it would not turn on without the remote.
Breakfast was not great maybe because of everyone have a late night there was no tables in the resaurant and had to eat it in the bar and had it finished before tea and toast arrived ( you are forgotton about when not in the main room. Plus they seemed to run out of a lot of the food before we left. What ever newspapers they had were well gone before I got there.
Overall a nice hotel in a good location for travelling.It was also great valu B+B

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I stayed there with my whole family (there are quite a few of us) on December 30th. Had an overall very good experience. The hotel looked decent from the outside & was only a few metres walk from the bus stop. We were given a very warm, albeit scripted, welcome. What I mean by that is there were 2 people checked in before us and the lady there pretty much repeated the same spiel for all 3 of us word for word. I thought it funny. When we got to the room I was impressed with the size of it. Huge bed too and very comfortable with plenty of storage space and a big desk. The TV reception was very grainy though, but I wasn't there to watch TV. Only flaw was the shower didn't have an anti-slip mat and the bath did become quite slippy.

We had pre-booked in for dinner and were accomodated without hassle. The food was nice but portions could have been better. I mean at one point we were given one bowl of potatoes and veg to share between 5 of us. his obviously wasn't cool, so we asked for another bowl which was provided.

After dinner we hit the bar and proceeded to have a good night together. When we retired to the lobby to use the residents bar things changed slightly. The bar itself was closed obviously, so I approached the night porter (when he finally came back) to ask is it him we get drinks from. His response was "Well I could.......it'll have to be the last one though". At this point it was 02:40 and the residents bar was advertised until 3. Also he seemed as if he felt he was doing me a favour somehow. This was the only blight on an otherwise great night though.

Room Tip: Request a bath mat
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank John O
Reviewed 30 December 2011

needed a place to stay between kinnitty and the motorway and indeed it is very convenient place if you have to break your journey but nothing special and akin to travelodge type accomodation.
Check in is easy as the place was not too busy but the place can fill up with conference and business suite traffic. The room was an executive room overlooking the road and although pristine was not at all inspiring .Contemporary theme and decor,really comfy bed yet a little small and strangely tiny TV on the far side of the room and no clock.Although near the road noise was minimal and black out great.Could do with a bit of art work to add colour and enjoyment of the insipid space. Bathroom ok if a bit tight for room but more than adequate for a single night enforced stop but wouldnt choose it for a few days, Obviously a hotel used to do local and passing business and it serves its purpose well.
Leisure centre ok with excellent gym yet pool a little drab and lacking windows and light . Jacuzzi small but the hottest we have ever been in,likewise steamroom and sauna.
Restaurant and bar areas really good and busy lively places.After hours spontaneus trad session on that night and it was great craic.Food is good though nothing special and breakfast is varied, plentiful and well cooked in buffet format.
The place is of a good standard throughout yet sanitized like a hospital or set from IKEA , has no real atmosphere or quality to make me want to return other than for necessity whilst travelling.
I suppose when spoilt for choice with so many non best western type 4 stars this place can not compete.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and you will get a larger room and keep away from the function room at the rear o...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank odysseus53
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I have recently attended a function and stayed over night in the Killeshin, from the very start I thought everything was fine, having been my second time to stay I noticed very few changes except new staff, our function dinner was excellent, service from the girl on our table was 2nd compared to none, I think her name was Ciara, We had a great night at the function, staff stayed on top of their game and remained very friendly, We stayed slightly longer than we should have and a few of our party "slighty" over indulged at the bar, later that night when we returned to our rooms we had a little hiccup where we found we were in need of help from the night staff, we called reception and a man who introduced himself as Kevin answered the phone, within seconds of explaining to him what had happened he arrived up to help us, this is where I noticed he was the night manager, to cut a long story short and without going into too much detail I just want to thank him for his professionalism, concern, the integrity he showed and his discretion in regards to the situation at hand. We will be returning again minus one.

Room Tip: Sleep quality was no fault of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I sent the following email to the Killeshin Hotel 5days ago, still waiting for response...

To whom it concerns

My partner and I spent Friday 2nd of Dec thru Sun 4th of December in your hotel for a weekend away. First off let me say the swimming pool and gym are great assets and most enjoyable and user friendly. The staff at the hotel reception and gym reception were very nice and polite, and extremely helpful. We ate in the restaurant on Saturday night and must say the food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Also much appreciated were the vouchers for Kildare Shopping Village, we most enjoyed our outing.

However I must add the following and please note we have never had to raise issues of concern before. We raised these issues with the receptionist on duty on the morning of Sun 4th Dec also:
1) After coming back from a run Friday night the stopper was missing from the bath we had to ring reception, who said they would send a porter
2) The porter arrived, and showed my partner two stoppers, asked him which one he wanted. He replied that he wouldn’t know. She said well is it the bath or the sink. He replied bath. She handed him one, leaving him to fit it himself.
3) In a double room (booked for two people) we had one water glass in the bathroom, and one spoon for tea/coffee
4) On Saturday morning we ventured down for breakfast. The first two breakfast plates in the ‘clean’ stack had dried old egg stuck on them.
5) On the same morning the beans spoon had long hair on it.
6) We were not told we needed to book the restaurant in advance, and arrived down to be told to come back at 9pm. My partner said in innocence, it is now 8.58pm. The waiter replied ‘well then another 15 minutes’.
7) We went to the bar to wait, and I asked a younger male member of bar staff for a cocktail menu. He rolled his eyes, looked behind him and said I can’t see one. I asked could he please find one. He again rolled his eyes, walked a few steps up the bar and blatantly ignored me. I followed him up the bar, and asked excuse me, the menu please. He replied there’s none in the bar, maybe there’s one in the restaurant and then did nothing. Again I asked could you fetch one then. He sighed heavily and said do you know what one you want. I replied I don’t even know how much they are. He said they are 5.95, no wait they are 6.95, do you know what you want. Exacerbated, I replied I’ll have a strawberry daiquiri. His next comment shocked me most; he asked “what’s in it so????” I must have looked surprised as he followed it up with “if you know what’s in it, I’ll make it”. I was tiring at this stage and gave in, responding “just give me a bottle of Coors Light so”.
8) On a minor note, the Jacuzzi was broken the full three days we were there, the television was very small and there was no clock in the room. I realise this point is frivolous and normally these issues would not bother us but when coupled with everything above it all spoilt our weekend.

Obviously this was not what I was expecting,
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Kindest regards,

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank A H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
2.1 km away
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix
21.4 km away
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to The Killeshin Hotel? Share your experiences!