“Expensive don't bother”

Kingfisher Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Went here had tandoori chicken and veg side curry with a small bottle of Kingfisher beer and the bill was for 28.49 euro's!!!! It wasn't even very nice no wonder the place was empty even though it was happy hour!

1  Thank Rock2Blues

Reviewed 19 December 2011

Went here for Valentines day, upon booking it in advance we were not advised that it was a set menu, no choice of wine that was even set, I offered to pay extra for a descent wine and this was not allowed, I will never darken their door again, owner is extremely rude and obnoxious, I cannot understand how this establishment has won awards and almost everyone I have spoken to in Portlaoise is of the same opinion. Awful food at ridiculous price

Reviewed 4 December 2011

What a disgrace is the Kingfisher. The food, terrible, the bathroom was worse than a rail station toilet. It had no heater, and it's December, for crying out loud, the urinals, dirty, sinks, dirty, win mould and pieces of hair. WC, both of them with marks of old defecation, looks like a brake mark from a car test made by Jeremy Clarkson.

The cleaning log sheet at the bathroom was from July and we are now in December! See pictures

And the worse of all... The fixed seats at the walls were so uncomfortable and I am now half paralyzed, with a muscle spasm, I fell dizzy and the pain is unbearable. I I seriously thinking taking legal action agains the restaurant for damaging my back.

The service was good, no complains there. You can't blame the staff for what is clearly the management's fault.

1  Thank juanchoja
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Our most recent visit to Kingfisher was an excellent experience. It started with the courteous staff, greeting us and showing us to our table. Once settled in with a pre-dinner drink, we checked out the new menu - the staff were well versed in all the new dishes and had no problem answering our queries. The menu still has the usual favourites and some new 5* dishes - freshly prepared and full of fresh ingredients.
We shared a Tandoori Iftaq to start - the lamb cutlet needs a special mention..it was mouth-watering. We also tried a new dish, the name escapes me, which was a fresh tomato stuffed with mashed fish and minced prawn - very unusual and extrememly tasty.
For mains, I had chicken masala which on previous occasions was quite spicy (which i like) but on this visit, it was still spicy but yet seemed more full of flavour.
The staff were very attentive and yet not intrusive.
The Kingfisher is a special experience as the restaurant has a fabulous dining room with great atmosphere and fab sound system playing chill-out music.
We have eaten in numerous ethnic restaurants around the world and would definitely put Kingfisher among the best. It ticks all the boxes for a great night out.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Have been coming here regularly on and off for 2 years bit since the menu revision, this eatery experience has shot up in my estimates. The starters are exquisite, main meals are a delight and desserts are just what is needed to round off a perfect meal. The staff are most attentive and make you feel as special as the most important royalty.
In essence, quite an unmissable experience.