“Self Catering at Castle Leslie”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glaslough
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed on The Castle Leslie Estate in the Old Stable Mews self catering accommodation.

Our first impressions of the estate were not good. We arrived on Easter Saturday and spent an eternity trying to park near to the Lodge part of the hotel. The Lodge consists of one part of the hotel, reception, Conor's Bar and Snaffle's Restaurant. We intended to have a meal in Conor's Bar prior to checking as we were a little early and our three month old desperately needed to be fed.

We went through the beautifully decorated reception area to the bar area and asked a member of staff if there were any tables available. The lady in question waved an arm vaguely in the direction of the back bar area and said 'there might be a table up there'. My husband raised an eyebrow at me but I thought we are on holiday, let's not stress. We proceeded to the area indicated to find that there were several reserved tables, one occupied table and (hallelujah) a free table. Well, we sat there for ten minutes and no one came near us. It wasn't busy, several staff had seen us sit down and still we waited. My husband eventually went in search of a menu he duly returned and said that someone would be with us in a minute. A bartender appeared several minutes later and began to direct a pained expression towards us. I asked him what was wrong and was told that actually the table we were sitting at was reserved too. I asked him where COULD we sit as I was in the middle of feeding my baby son. . He disappeared and returned to give me a thumbs up. We found the table ourselves as he quickly scarpered again!

He then proceeded to shout from behind the bar that he'd take our order. Which he did after my husband went over to him at the bar as he couldn't hear us. I've never experienced anything like it, it was farcical. Food arrived after thirty minutes. Anaemic chips and greasy fish. Salad which had obviously been prepared several hours in advance. Not good. I felt like going home.

HOWEVER..... I'm so glad we didn't! The checking in with a delightful lady called Mary was stress free and well done. We were given all the information we required without having to ask one question. The accommodation was superb. So tastefully decorated, spacious in beautiful surroundings, and pristinely clean. My daughter had excellent tuition at the equestrian centre and thoroughly enjoyed her ride outs. We all loved the walks on the estate. Every other staff member we encountered was very friendly and extraordinarily helpful.

The problem in the bar resulted from the fact that they don't seem to have a system. The treatment we received isn't necessarily what I'd call rude just too casual for a place like Castle Leslie. We will certainly return, we just won't eat in the bar next time!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MumC1977

Reviewed 10 April 2012

20 of us, 9 adults and 11 children stayed in these wonderful, luxurious, spacious and comfortable cottages. We had 2, 5 bedroom cottages next door to one another. Glaslough is a great village and the people are friendly. We only realised when we got there how close it all is to Armagh, Belfast, Dublin etc. A hidden gem! Cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My husband and I had a trip back in time last week on spending two wonderful days and nights in Sir John's Room at Castle Leslie.Meeting 95 yr old Sir John Leslie himself was the icing on the cake.We felt that we were visiting our relatives 100 years ago.It is old world elegance personified.Once we got used to no TV no Radio no Shower very low lighting in the bedroom but a wonderful large bath with a very large silver bauble in the bathroom a wonderful comfortable bed and great views of the lake we were sorry that we hadn't booked a longer stay.A very lavish freshly cooked breakfast with views overlooking the lake was a great start to the day.The diningroom houses numerous family portraits and is more than interesting particularly if one knows the history of the Leslie family.Sir John having breakfast in his dressing gown and pyjamas enlightened us as to which member of the family we were looking at.I can't help but think that there must be something special in the air in Glaslough when one witnesses such a healthy piano playing dancing fun loving 95 yr old.The grounds are splendid and very well mantained.Walks are easy and interesting.Some of the people we met went horse riding others went fishing while two of the young people tried the spa. Dinner was superb and was held in snaffles a five minute walk down the avenue.Live piano music added to the atmosphere.There are morning rooms reading rooms a library a conservatory a sittingroom. All had enormous old world fireplaces and on returning from dinner we met some residents and joined them for a drink in the sittingroom throwing some logs on the fire as required.A fun night was had by all . It was 2am by the time we retired.Thank you Castle Leslie for a wonderful break.We will be back!Bring a booklight with you if you are a serious reader, they are available in most supermarkets.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Weekender R
CastleLeslie, General Manager at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Guest

My team and I would like to pass on our thanks and appreciation for taking the time to write your review, regarding your recent stay with us in The Castle at Castle Leslie Estate.

Thank you, for your very kind comments regarding your guest bed room in The Castle and our Castle and grounds. Our Accommodation and Maintenance and Garden Team will be delighted to read your comments and praise of their continued hard work.

We are delighted you enjoyed your meal experience in Snaffles and enjoyed a late drink by the fire with other guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again to discover more of the estate and its enchanting idyllic setting.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Recently stayed here for one night with my husband. The only problem we had was that we wanted to stay for longer! Very impressed with the hotel from the outset - staff were extremely friendly and efficient and rooms were amazing. We were allocated a room overlooking the stables which was perfect. We also visited the spa during our stay and were equally impressed by the facilities and service of the staff. The grounds of the hotel are vast and it's well worth taking a few hours to explore. Breakfast in the hotel the next day was one of the best we have ever experienced - a huge choice & a hot breakfast cooked to order. I would definitely recommened this hotel and hope to back in the near future!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LJ76

Dear Guest

My team and I would like to pass on our thanks and appreciation for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay with us in The Lodge at Castle Leslie Estate.

Thank you also for your kind comments about our staff, our facilities and our cuisine.

We look forward to welcoming you both back again to discover more of the estate and its enchanting idyllic setting.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Tied as my favorite place I've ever stayed in, i cant recommend it enough. If visiting Ireland from abroad worth making part of your trip. We got a picnic by the lake then went horse riding the last time i was there. The horse riding was great also allowing us trot and canter not plod along just following the horse in front of you. ATTENTION TO DETAILS this place had it in spades. I didn't stay in the actual castle but the hotel alongside it and it was perfect. Bring a camera, ill be back again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

We are delighted that you choose to stay with us whilst visiting Ireland.

Thank you also for your kind comments about our team and their efforts, delighted to hear that you took the opportunity to go horse riding and the time to enjoy a picnic by the lake.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Quite concerned when visiting castle lleslie on a day visit to find that the jetty down on the boating lake has been destroyed by flooding mother nature will do her harm but there is no excuse in the jetty not being closed off or at least a safety warning by the jetty it is very unsafe and although there is a warning at the castle door referring to the jetty not everyone would notice it a ten year old child ran towards it saying she was going on it when her father said no she insisted she was no harm came to her but if an adult had not of been with her she could have been hurt castle Leslie is the most beautiful place I have ever been the property is perfectly kept inside and the staff are all very polite and efficient the food is fantastic and very good value for money everyone should visit it at least once in their lifetime I am a regular visitor and will continue to do so I would hate to see such a magical place have to perhaps deal with a tragedy when better safety measures could prevent this

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank David K
CastleLeslie, General Manager at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Guest

My team and I would like to pass on our thanks and appreciation for your very kind comments regarding your recent visit with us at Castle Leslie Estate.

We are delighted that you have continued to visit over the past number of years and thank you for your loyalty and custom.

Thank you also for your kind comments about our service and our cuisine and the estate overall.

We invest a great deal of expense, energy and time into ensuring that the estate offers guests a haven of tranquility and relaxation and to ensure that the health and safety of our guests is provided for at all times. Thank you for your concern regarding the jetty and rest assured we are addressing this matter.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Everybody likes to feel special and heaped with loads of attention once in their lives. Our experiance at Castle Leslie on the weekend of the 2nd of March 2012 certainly did this for my wife and I. We stayed at the lodge on a Special which included Dinner and and breakfast and from the moment we arrived ,booked in and shown to our room we had smiles on us like chesire cats. Our room was massive with a large and extremely comfortable double and furnished to a very high standard to suite the age and history of the building. a large bathroom with a antique style rolltop bath and seperate shower further enhanced the ambiance...in fact everything in the lodge was of a quality and design next to none. Dinner on our first evening was in Snaffles Restuarant....again from the moment we arrived here we were treated well .The food which consisted of seven courses with a bottle of house wine thrown in for good measure was up there with the best we,d experianced. After the meal we decided to have a look around ...it was perhaps 2230 hrs and had a quiet drink in connors bar with the crackling of a log and peat fire to keep us company...The following day after a hearty breakfast we went for a walk through the substantial grounds ending up tn the Castle itself....Think Downtown Abbey......we walked from room to room amazed at the decor , paintings and interior design...so this is how the other half lived...for that weekend we were the other half....so much so another weekend has been booked in November...oh and the anorak in me had to go to a local library to get a book on Shane Leslie ...father of the currant owner so as I could continue the experience....try it ...you deserve to feel special once or twice in your life!!!

Room Tip: any room...we were shown others and they were all exceptional