We stayed on The Castle Leslie Estate in the Old Stable Mews self catering accommodation.
Our first impressions of the estate were not good. We arrived on Easter Saturday and spent an eternity trying to park near to the Lodge part of the hotel. The Lodge consists of one part of the hotel, reception, Conor's Bar and Snaffle's Restaurant. We intended to have a meal in Conor's Bar prior to checking as we were a little early and our three month old desperately needed to be fed.
We went through the beautifully decorated reception area to the bar area and asked a member of staff if there were any tables available. The lady in question waved an arm vaguely in the direction of the back bar area and said 'there might be a table up there'. My husband raised an eyebrow at me but I thought we are on holiday, let's not stress. We proceeded to the area indicated to find that there were several reserved tables, one occupied table and (hallelujah) a free table. Well, we sat there for ten minutes and no one came near us. It wasn't busy, several staff had seen us sit down and still we waited. My husband eventually went in search of a menu he duly returned and said that someone would be with us in a minute. A bartender appeared several minutes later and began to direct a pained expression towards us. I asked him what was wrong and was told that actually the table we were sitting at was reserved too. I asked him where COULD we sit as I was in the middle of feeding my baby son. . He disappeared and returned to give me a thumbs up. We found the table ourselves as he quickly scarpered again!
He then proceeded to shout from behind the bar that he'd take our order. Which he did after my husband went over to him at the bar as he couldn't hear us. I've never experienced anything like it, it was farcical. Food arrived after thirty minutes. Anaemic chips and greasy fish. Salad which had obviously been prepared several hours in advance. Not good. I felt like going home.
HOWEVER..... I'm so glad we didn't! The checking in with a delightful lady called Mary was stress free and well done. We were given all the information we required without having to ask one question. The accommodation was superb. So tastefully decorated, spacious in beautiful surroundings, and pristinely clean. My daughter had excellent tuition at the equestrian centre and thoroughly enjoyed her ride outs. We all loved the walks on the estate. Every other staff member we encountered was very friendly and extraordinarily helpful.
The problem in the bar resulted from the fact that they don't seem to have a system. The treatment we received isn't necessarily what I'd call rude just too casual for a place like Castle Leslie. We will certainly return, we just won't eat in the bar next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castle Leslie Estate, nestled on 1,000 acres of undulating Irish countryside, dotted with ancient woodland and glittering lakes, is one of the last great Irish Castle estates still in the hands of its founding family. Castle Estate is waiting to be discovered. Located in Co. Monaghan, Ireland, the Estate is only 80 minutes from Dublin and 60 minutes from Belfast. The Castle (20 individual guestroom), at the heart of the Estate, offers authentic original interiors and old-style hospitality and is a complete respite from the world. The Lodge (29 guestrooms) is the social hub of the Estate and brings locals and guests together in an atmosphere of conviviality and comfort. The two bedroom Old Stable Mews and four and five bedroom Village Cottages are the perfect spot for families and groups that want the convenience of hotel living combined with private luxury home rental. Whether your idea of a holiday is a romantic retreat, a relaxing break or an action-packed adventure, there is something for everyone at Castle Leslie Estate. A host of activities are on offer including pike fishing for the nature enthusiast, a private cinema for movie buffs, exceptional walking trails for those who want to breathe in fresh country air, kayaking and clay pigeon shooting for the more adventurous, hot air balloon rides for those looking for exhilaration, falconry for those to experience nature up close, a fabulous spa for rejuvenation and of course the famous world-class equestrian centre which offers memorable horse riding holiday experiences for riding enthusiasts of all levels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity.ca, Priceline, Cancelon, World Independent Hotel Promotion and TripOnline SA so you can book your Castle Leslie Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Leslie Estate Hotel Glaslough
- Castle Leslie Estate Ireland/Glaslough