• Free Internet
The Glendalough Hotel(Glendalough Village)
US$132
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$182/night.

Riversdale House(Glendalough Village)
All reviewslower lakemonastic citydown the roadplace to staywicklow heather restaurantglendalough hotelpennyhostshostesslakeshikeruinsdeer
Reviewed October 2, 2014

The main advantage of the Derrymore House is the location - one can walk around the lake, up the mountain, in to town - and the area is so beautiful. The Wicklows were definitely a favorite on our trip to Ireland. The rooms were adequate, clean, and the outside swing had fantastic views. Breakfast was average but our hostess was kind to provide us with utensils and plates for an in-house dinner we bought in town to share with our traveling companions. WiFi was spotty at our end of the house. I would recommend this lodge for its' splendid location - but look carefully for the small sign by the gate when you first approach it. Gail

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gail G
Reviewed August 26, 2014

I stayed at Derrymore House for 9 days with four other friends. The location had been selected for us by our pilgrimage guide, Andrew Steed and we all found it to be above any expectations we may have had. The beds were very comfortable, the rooms spacious, clean and well- appointed. The rooms with a shared bath were perfectly suited for friends traveling together who want a bit of privacy. Penny, the hostess was so accommodating with any of our special dietary requests for breakfast (Her "Griddle Cakes" and homemade "Muffins" were my personal favorites!) as well for any variations in our morning departures. Finally, the location was superb! The setting is beautiful and features are designed to permit views of the mountain opposite and the lake below. The large property has its own maintained hillside walking trails which are perfect for solitary getaways. When you have walked those paths, you can take and easy and enjoyable stroll to the Glendalough Lower Lake. If you need a destination for your walk, the picturesque St. Kevin's Monastery ruins are within walking distance down the hill to the left. If you prefer to put your feet in the sand and water of the Upper Lake (You can swim there as well.), that is nearby (down the hill again) and to the right of the B&B. If you like hiking up a mountainside, trails around the Upper Lake can satisfy any desire you have for scenic overlooks as well as other sites associated with St. Kevin. I found Derrymore House to be a perfect location for day trips as well as providing the tranquility, beauty and connection with nature that I find so rejuvenating.

Room Tip: If WIFI is important, it seemed the wifi worked best in the family room. (I am unsure about the reception in the double room next to the family room.) It was difficult getting a connection in the double rooms next to the breakfast/lounge room. I liked the family room, which was a corner room with three beds. I believe the air circulation was better than some other rooms, but a fan was still needed. The view was best in the family room and the double next to it since they face the front of the house and the mountains and lake beyond.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank WSL51
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here as part of our honeymoon through Ireland and the UK. Out of all the places we went Glendalough was definitely one of (if not the) most beautiful. Derrymore was within walking distance to the monastery ruins and the two gorgeous lakes. Definitely a perfect location with spacious rooms and a great view! Penny was so sweet and breakfast was delicious! We also really loved the pub in nearby Laragh.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sheila M
Reviewed July 17, 2014

My wife and I were traveling with our 22-year old daughter and her best friend. We stayed in the spacious family room and had great views of the lake. Best of all, we could walk everywhere - whether back up the road to the rightfully famous monastery ruins or down the road to the trail up into the beautiful valley and onward the amazing views above it. Also, there was a welcoming pub just down the road where we ate and watched the World Cup. The B&B itself was a bit quirky, and Penny was not as openly friendly as most other hosts we encountered on our 2 week holiday around Ireland. But for comfort and location, we would return for sure.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank holmes49
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We spent one night at Derrymore House. It is in a beautiful location, with wonderful views of the lake and just across from walking paths that go into the hills and around the lake. It could not be more beautiful. The inn was a challenge to find, with only one tiny sign and an imposing wooden gate that was not at all welcoming. Our room was comfortable, with a nice view of the lake. We had a double bed and two twins. The room had only two picture frame mirrors, so getting ready in the morning is fine if you don't need to see how you look. There was a funky little sign on the shower door reminding one to only take a short shower in order to conserve water, and on the TV cautioning the viewer to keep the volume down below 20. Our little coffee maker water heater thing didn't work, so no instant coffee this morning. The wifi works great. All in all, I think I would choose a different spot to stay in Glendalough.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple