“3star not 5star” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
“3star not 5star”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We stayed in hotel last night..Rooms v dated' staff definitley not providing 5star service including manager. Electricity went at 5pm and did not come back untill 8pm..we did not get an apology or not even offered a drink in bar..we were given a bowl of crisps to compensate no heat, no lighting, no leisure facilities... Would never stay here again v poor service..

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank 5starhunter
guestservicesadvisor, Guest Relations Manager at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear 5starhunter,

Thank you for your review of Druids Glen Resort. The sudden power outage on the 3rd April was due to a fallen tree locally and cut the power to 1200 homes and businesses in the area - completely outside of our control.

I do not believe that your comments fairly represent the actions taken by our team to accommodate our guests during this time. I myself as Duty Manager along with the CEO of the resort and the various managers went to every table in the bar, lobby and restaurant to keep people updated. Within 45 minutes of the power outage we were serving hot food by candlelight in our main restaurant - this is because of the dedication of our kitchen team who were barbequing food outside in freezing temperatures to accommodate the needs of our guests. When electricity goes in a hotel so does the gas - as we can no longer extract fumes and therefore eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning - I think you will agree that this is a wise precaution.

We also paid for taxis for anyone who wanted to go to a restaurant in the area that had power and did not charge for anyone who wanted to check out as they were concerned that the power would not come back.

The front desk team had hot water bottles and torches available for all 100 of our guests as we have emergency packs for these eventualities, which in itself is admirable since the power last went over three years ago.

When power was restored about four hours later (8:30pm) we re-launched the regular food menus in the bar and restaurant.

We value our guests’ comments and we endeavour to provide excellent service at all times. We pride ourselves on the friendliness and professionalism of our team.

I really wish that you had raised your comments at the front desk as this forum does not give us a chance to rescue a customer experience - and we value our customers highly. We were inundated with people who told us that we had done very well in very difficult circumstances. Please contact me directly and I would love to discuss this more with you and hopefully make sure you experience the Druids Glen that you deserve to!

Duncan McAlpin

Duncan McAlpin
Guest Relations Manager l Druids Glen Resort
Newtownmountkennedy | Co. Wicklow | Ireland

Telephone: +353 (1) 287 0889

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
drogheda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

stayed for 2 nights we booked 15 rooms in total for family party. the staff are the most friendly staff i have ever come across . pool is fab,breakfast is magic you name it they have it.only 1 little moan get bigger fillet steaks chef...lol.

Room Tip: get a room overlooking golf course
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
guestservicesadvisor, Guest Relations Manager at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Dear sarahamyadam,

Thank you for your review of Druids Glen Resort. It is a pleasure to receive such positive comments. Our team are regularly praised for their friendliness and I will be sure to pass on your compliments. I will also ensure the chef is aware of your suggestion. Overall I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to Druids Glen in the near future.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We recently stayed at the Druids Glen - only 30 minutes from home and kids eat and stay free - a double bonus break. The rooms are large and we were overlooking the golf course. The kids enjoyed the pool and a run around their new playground while my wife had a relaxing massage. Dinner was nice and breakfast was a buffet - slightly chaotic with a long queue for omlettes - however it was Sunday morning and the hotel was very busy. An enjoyable break and we will be back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
guestservicesadvisor, Guest Relations Manager at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear ClarenceDublin,

Thank you for taking the time to review Druids Glen Resort. It gives me great pleasure to read that your family enjoyed their stay wit us. Our swimming pool and playground are very popular with families as are our cinema room and childrens play room. I appreciate your comments regarding breakfast service. We endeavour to ensure all our guests receive five star service in all aspects of their stay including at breakfast time.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Druids Glen Resort in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I'll start by admitting this review is based upon my wedding weekend stay so it may be a bit biased! For anyone planning a wedding here I couldn't recommend it enough. Everything was perfect. Staff were amazing, food was amazing, the bedroom suites and function rooms were amazing! Will definitely be back for our wedding anniversary next year.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A1K3
Dear keanser,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Druids Glen Resort. It gives me great pleasure to know that your special day was perfect and we would be delighted to welcome you back for your anniversary.

Congratulations and best wishes,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I stayed here recently for 1 night for a work event. Check-in was very smooth - the room was ready on arrival early in the morning. I went up to the room and it was very spacious, big King bed, flat screen TV, nice bathroom. However, I then noticed that I'd been allocated a connecting room as there was a connecting door in the room. I never stay in connecting room as I just don't feel safe. I went down to reception and told them that I'd like to change to a non-connecting room and they were very nice and understanding about it. They said the only room they had available was one with two double beds instead of one king bed and I was fine with that. The two beds didn't bother me so long as that stupid connecting door wasn't there!!

The food was nice - breakfast, lunch, dinner and mid-morning/afternoon snacks.

The reason I said it's not a 5* is because the property just isn't up to 5* standard. The room did look a little shabby and the bathroom while nice, was not up to the usual standard of other 5* that I've stayed in. I've stayed in 4* properties which had nicer rooms/bathrooms than Druids Glen.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
guestservicesadvisor, Guest Relations Manager at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear pineapple_coconut,

Thank you for taking the time to review Druids Glen Resort. We have a number of connecting rooms in our hotel which are fantastic for families who require a little extra space during their stay. I can assure you that when not in use these connecting doors are locked from both sides and cannot be opened. I am happy that your issue was quickly resolved by our team.

Thank you for your compliments on the standard of our food and dining options. It is great to read such positive feedback. I will pass this on to our team.

We are regularly complimented on how well appointed our rooms are and I was disappointed to read that you thought your room was not of the standard expected. We endeavour to provide a five star service in every aspect of our guests' stay including accommodation and I would be happy to discuss your comments further should you wish to contact me.

Naas, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

From the day we first visited the hotel up to our wedding day, the staff were excellent and very accomodating, from the reception staff to the wedding co-ordinator Nessa. Once our wedding was booked everything was taken care of. The reception room looked fantastic on the day, our meal was excellent, and we have some great photos taken at the back of the hotel I received so many compliments after the wedding of what a good wedding reception it was. The bridal suite is beautiful. Absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a wedding venue

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear marie h,

Thank you very much for your review of Druids Glen Resort. I am delighted that you enjoyed your wedding day. Nessa and the team take great pride in delivering a memorable experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to Druids Glen Resort in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over the bank holiday weekend. From the moment we checked in Stephanie on the front desk could not be more helpful and friendly. The lobby is a nice area with open seating and a fireplace, nice to sit and relax. The room is a good size, comfortable bed with a great size bathroom. We ate in the bar the first night we were there as the hotel is out a little from the local village of Newtownmountkennedy so it was just handier to stay at the hotel.

The bar food menu for a 5* hotel I felt let it down somewhat because of the very little choice that was available on it. We both had the burgers and these were satisfying. On the second night we decided to eat in the restaurant again the choice was somewhat limited in comparison to other hotels we have stayed at. I had soup to start with and if I am honest it was only tepid as was my main course of steak - so this was a little disappointing. However the restaurant and bar staff are extremly pleasant and I could not fault them in anyway.

The breakfast selection was good with everything you could want, hot food, fruit, scones, pastries, juices, youghurts etc. We used the pool during our stay and it was lovey and quiet so had plenty of time to swim comfortably and we also availed of the spa while there, which was really enjoyable and relaxing. The hotel is really nice but I don't think I would class it as a 5* resort in comparison to other 5* resorts we have stayed in throughout the country.

While we were at the hotel we took advantage of the location to go Powerscourt Gardens, Glendalough, Brittas Bay & the coast road which are all only a short drive from the hotel.

We really enjoyed our break at the hotel and it was really relaxing and staff certainly make you feel welcome. Only downside for us was the food but again it was a bank holiday weekend so I wouldn't hold it against them but certainly would like more options on the menu. I would recommend the hotel for a short break if you are looking for something relaxing but if you like to be in the centre of things this might not be the ideal spot for you as you have to drive. I would return but I would leave it a little while before I do.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony for more natural light and a view out over the grounds of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
guestservicesadvisor, Guest Relations Manager at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear marbella07,

Thank you for your recent review of Druids Glen Resort. It gives me great pleasure to read such positive reviews. Indeed our scenic walk is a very popular attraction with our guests and allows for some gorgeous views of Druids Glen Golf Course and the surrounding Wicklow countryside.

I am very happy that you had an enjoyable dining experience and a nice stay overall. I do hope to welcome you back to Druids Glen Resort in the near future.

Kind Regards

12.3 km away
The Martello Hotel
30.8 km away
Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge

Been to Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!