“Lovely spot, fantastic staff...recommended”

Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rathnew
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and I stayed in Tinakilly house for just one night as a little anniversary treat. The hotel is a lovely spot to stay. If you prefer modern hotels, this may not be for you, as it is a (beautiful) old building, maintained in traditional style.

We arrived on Easter Sunday afternoon and it was busy with families enjoying lunch, and it looked like they had put on an Easter treasure hunt for kids!

We stayed in a junior suite and with a sea view, which was lovely. A very spacious room and very comfortable. My husband found it a bit warm during the night, but I was very content (I love it toasty!). The room and bathroom was very clean, the bath itself was a little on the small side, but there was plenty of piping hot water for a bath. I’m a little sorry I didn’t request one of the other rooms with a 4 poster bed, but maybe next time!

We ate in the restaurant and really enjoyed our 3 course meal. We got the early bird menu and it was very good value for quality food and service. It was quiet enough (following a hectic afternoon I believe) but it was perfect for us, we were able to totally relax and enjoy ourselves and our meal. There is lovely bar and a selection of lounge areas (with cosy open fires) where you can sit and completely switch off and unwind.

The staff are a credit to the hotel. Sissel (I hope I spelt it right!) gave us such a warm welcome and was delightful to deal with and chat to. Every single person we had any interaction with was so nice, friendly and helpful.

If you’re planning a small wedding this would be a lovely spot. I believe they cater for small weddings and the building and grounds would make for a charming setting.

Overall we really enjoyed our short stay in Tinakilly Country House and would recommend it for a nice little romantic getaway.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Emathon
Gm-Tinakilly, General Manager at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Emathon

Thank you so much for your feed back on your stay at Tinakilly. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us!
It is a pleasure to work with the Team here at Tinakilly as they truly embody the idea of Irish hospitality while maintaining their own individual identity and personality.

We look forward to welcoming you to Tinakilly again in the near future

Best Regards and thank you again

Reviewed 22 March 2012

My wife and I just celebrated our 7 year wedding anniversary at Tinakilly. We couldn't have been more thrilled.This beautifully preserved Victorian mansion is a stark contrast from today's cookie cutter hotels, while still providing a luxurious stay at a surprisingly affordable price.

The mansion was initially built by the British government for telegraph pioneer Robert Halpin in 1883. His crew were the first to successfully lay telegraph cables, via submarine, connecting Europe to North America. You are sleeping with some seriously impacting history.

Since they had the availability they upgraded us to a junior suite. The room was massive, comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated with antique furniture and paintings. My wife and I were very impressed, it's rare that hotels exceed our expectations.

The price includes a breakfast buffet served in a beautiful Victorian dining room. However, for the small charge of just 3.20 euro a person you can have breakfast brought to your room. You can select anything you want and the list is massive. The girl needed two trips to bring us all our food to the room. The quality of breakfast was very high- Delicious fresh eggs and white and black pudding (along with sausage, bacon, etc), gourmet brie, camembert and blue cheeses, fresh bread, high quality fresh fruit, fresh squeezed juices. Just awesome. Fantastic service.

Btw, the receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful with tips on where to eat and what to visit during our stay. And the gardens surrounding the hotel are beautiful. I give this place 5 stars with no hesitation- keep up the good work guys!

We did not have dinner at the hotel but it's meant to be very good, and considering how great breakfast was, we're sure it's worth it.

My wife and I will go back here someday to celebrate another special occasion. We were told it's beautiful at Christmas. See you guys again! :)

2  Thank AmsterdamMonkey
Gm-Tinakilly, General Manager at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear AmsterdamMonkey

I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Tinakilly in the future

Guillaume has just launched his spring menu and we are all very excited to hear our guests feedback on his latest creations.

Look forward to seeing you soon and thanks again

Reviewed 19 March 2012

My wife and myself have stayed in many hotels in many cities. But every so often you come across something very special. Tinakilly house is something very special. If you are looking for somewhere to relax, in luxury, with fine dining, that won't cost you the earth well Tinakilly House ticks all the boxes. Situated just outside Wicklow town in the village of Rathnew. Take a five minute drive off the motorway, and you find yourself in a elegant country house full of old world charm. We booked a standard double room which was far from standard. A very large spacious room with a four poster bed tastefully decorated. The bathroom was again large and has a separate bath and shower which was clinically clean. We had dinner in the hotel which was faultless. Super food with great service at a low price. All together I couldn't fault this hotel. Well done.

• Stayed: March 2012
Gm-Tinakilly, General Manager at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear Bob and Maria

Thank you so much for your feed back the team and I are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you to Tinakilly in the not to distant future

Best Regards

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were so overwhelmed when we arrived like we entered a different era. Right beside the sea so close to Wiclow town and sight seeing areas. Hotel is out of this world with old charm rooms are great value staff are more then helpful and friendly very welcoming food is excellent bar is perfect beside a blaring open fire and so peaceful. We went for a romantic break, it was perfect! Can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: We got the sea front room but the bed was two singal bed pushed together was not great but we just b...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Gm-Tinakilly, General Manager at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear Emma M

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Tinakilly house!
We work very hard to maintain the charm and character of the building in keeping with the period when it was built so our guests can experience the grandeur of a bygone age.

I look forward to welcoming you to Tinakilly house again in the future

Many thanks

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Don't know where to start as I was left a little confused. Tinakilly is full of contradictions. First off , the service and welcome were 100%. Having read some earlier reviews I was slightly concerned about this. Obviously the negative comments about the service and attitude of staff were taken on board. The staff, both at reception and in the dining room could not have done enough, and made us feel very welcome.

It was our first time in the house and it's splendor upon entering up the driveway and than into the main reception and lobby is breathtaking. One really gets that old world feel and warmth. As I said check in was a delight, a Norwegian lady who was most affable and helpful.

When we entered our room we were delighted to see a four post bed, antique fittings and fixtures and beautifully imposing bay windows and wooden shutters. The bathroom however was very underwhelming. A very contemporary yet dated bathroom suite seemed to take the sheen off our earlier impressions, it somehow cheapened the experience. Nevertheless, we brushed ourselves down and decided not to be to distracted by it.

We then decided to grab a cocktail in the bar. The barman was very polite and helpful and made the pair of us some splendid cocktails. Mine was not on the menu, but was a classic which he made with great skill. Alas, the bar itself, like our bathroom was very underwhelming and left lots to be desired both in terms of atmosphere and decor. Very dated and cheap looking in what is a splendid room. I then used the hotels main toilet. Again, it was just awfully decorated and out of place in such a regal stately home.

We sat down to dinner at 9pm and licked our lips at an utterly tantalizing menu. My wife started with a fois gras parfait. It was stuffed with a fig chutney and served with melba toast. It was delicious, but ( and I have never made this criticism before) It was a humongous portion, and my wife and I wondered how the kitchen could possibly operate without a loss with these size portions of high quality food, given that cost margins are so tight in this industry. My starter was the Scallops and pork belly, with calvados and apple. Again, the portion size was simply to big,with rich and sexy food sometimes less is more. we were almost full after our starters! While mine was wonderfully turned out it sadly lacked seasoning and cohesion. I mean, all the individual elements were well prepared and looked great, but as I say, just lacked that little something special to bring it all together.

For her main, my wife had pan fried smoked duck. It was wonderful, served with brittle nut and celeriac puree (I think). The smokiness just gave it a real depth of flavor and it was perfectly pink! I had the fillet of beef. A very generous piece of meat perfectly pink.However, it was only tepid and not enough bite or crustiness. It did not seem seasoned which was a shame. It was served with gnocchi sauteed in bone marrow and a type of oxtail rillette. As you'd expect, the rillette was fairly salty, but to my mind a little too salty. Perhaps it was supposed to counter the lack of seasoning on my beef. But to my taste, it did not compliment the beef at all. As for the gnocchi, there was simply too much on the plate. Six very large pieces that tasted stodgy. I'd have been happier with perhaps two pieces cooked with a little more tradition and TLC.

For pudding we shared the lemon tart. It looked stunning. The filling was good but the base soggy, it also tasted as if it had been sharing the fridge with the beef...

Overall the dining experience was strange. There is no doubt that the quality of food is high. But it pains me to say that the execution just seemed lazy. A shame really. The menu read better than it tasted. The dining room itself is very badly decorated and lacks charm, utterly out of sync with what you expect from an old country house, naff and cheap looking fixtures and terrible lighting. Tables were wonderfully laid with starched fresh clean linen and properly polished glasses and cutlery.

As we turned in for the night we were both taken with the lack luxury. Our bed was draped in too many blankets. It looked stunning made up but proved busy in practice. No spare pillows and no feather pillows ensured a torrid nights sleep for me, but that's my fault.

Breakfast was great and tasted good.

Overall it was a nice experience and I would go back. I would however love to see this place pay more attention to detail. It is so nearly close to being amazing, but shortcuts and a lack of precision and execution are hindering this place from realizing its full potential. And potentially I think this place could be one of the finest products this country has to offer in terms of old country house hotels. Sensitivity and understanding of the house is let down by some of the cheap and out of sync decor. It's a bit of a shame really.

Room Tip: Just ask...
2  Thank mong90

Dear Mong 90

Thank you so much for your feed back!
It is through our guests honest feedback that we can best derive the direction our future training and investment should take

Many thanks Again

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Myself and my wife stayed here at the weekend and i must say it was a very relaxing experience. The hotel was very busy but it still had a relaxed atmosphere. My daughter had bought a deals voucher to cover B&B and we were treated very hospitably from the moment we arrived. The food was excellent and our room had a beautiful seaview. The lady who worked at reception was warm and friendly. I couldnt recommend this hotel highly enough. Will definately be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview well in advance

Dear Martin O

Thank you for your kind words! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at Tinakilly. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Tinakilly in the near future.

Keep an eye out four our special offers and interesting packages during the summer months

Best Regards

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Just back from a night here,got lovely junior suite overlooking the sea, georgous room, spotless clean,got a lovely warm welcome at check in from a really nice lady. Its a really nice place, steeped in history, nice just to wander around and look at all the old paintings, loads of different rooms where you can sit and totally relax and a lovely blazing fire lit with comfortable sofas around it. Had afternoon tea there which was really nice. Didnt have a meal there as we had afternoon tea too late, but the menu was very impressive. The breakfast was fab, plenty of choice, and a lovely full Irish breakfast cooked to perfection. I am 8 months pregnant, so it was ideal place just to totally relax and unwind. Would go again in a flash.

Room Tip: Ask for sea facing room.
1  Thank dublingirl71

Dear Tracey

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here at Tinakilly!
We value our guests feed back very highly and the team and I look forward to thanking you again in Person during your next visit.

Many thanks again

Ian Finnan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathnew
16.7 km away
22.6 km away
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!