New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castleconnell
O'Brien's Bridge, Ireland
“Beautiful bar food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I ate here just last night. The bar was empty (well it was a Monday night!) but it was really cosy and warm not like some places that shut off the heat when its quiet!

Our waitress was a very friendly, well mannered young woman. We both had seafood, salmon for myself and Sea Bass for my husband. I was amazed when the dishes came out- such presentation! Not your typical bar food fare at all. The Sea Bass was the days special and priced at €10 very reasonable. I also had a desert of sticky toffee pudding with custard which the chef made specially for me as Im not too keen on cream!
We have been to he Castle Oaks in the past for weddings but had never eaten in the bar before but we will definitely be making sa return visit! Well done!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MicheleH72
RiverShannon, Padraig Nolan General Manager at Castle Oaks House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for your kind comments. It is always refreshing to hear good feedback from our customers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Oaks to sample and savour more of our culinary delights. We get raving reviews about our homemade desserts, something that can be a rare sight in hotels today.

Again Many thanks for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Gorey, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Castle Oaks, the grounds back onto the River Shannon and was picture perfect. The hotel itself could do with a little spruce up but nothing major needed.
The staff were very pleasant and the drink prices not too bad
Was there for my brothers wedding and would recommend it to others - the staff helped to pull together a beautiful day.
Recommendation - go for a walk along by the river - peaceful and rewarding

Room Tip: Try and get a room near reception as some of the rooms are a little remote
1 Thank Patrick D
Hi Patrick

Many thanks for your kind comments. it is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us on the occasion of your brothers wedding.
Set on 26 acres of mature gardens on the banks of the River Shannon is the perfect location to celebrate a wedding.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Oaks to sample and savour more of our culinary delights and enjoy the beautiful setting.

Again many thanks for your review.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Just back from what was supposed to be a two night stay at this hotel but having had such a horrendous experience we checked out early and did not even stop the second night. I have never written anything on this site before but I felt compelled to do so after our horrendous stay. Myself and my mother arrived around seven in the evening with two small children - a four month old and a three year old. Arriving in late both babies were tired and the small one was screaming. The elderly lady on reception did not so much as glance up at us never mind greet us nor did the other man on reception so much as look up from his computer screen. We had booked what we were told were hotel 'garden suites' which are in actual fact self catering houses minus the kitchen facilities. I was told I could drive round to find them - no offer of help with baggage etc. When I drove around to the 'suite' I called back to reception as I did not think this accommodation would be suitable I had been offered self catering accommodation at time of booking and refused it. The unfriendly reception lady told me she would accommodate us in the main house. Beside a boiler room with constant noise all night long. A service truck collecting laundry was loading and unloading outside our window until 11.30 at night and a store room across from our room was in use by staff from 5.30 in the morning. Not only am I awake as it is with a small child I literally did not get a wink of sleep all night. The rooms were also a mile from reception and with no lift we had to lug everything up and down. We stayed on a Monday and the hotel was dead there really was no need to place us in the rooms we were put in. The hotel is quaint but very dated. The only saving grace was the absolutely lovely girl working in the bar and the bar food was quite good. The lady on reception is missing her calling in the hospitality industry I'm sure she would do well as a headmistress though!!! The difference a bit of hospitality can make in the hospitality industry is unreal! We refused to pay for our nights accommodation and the staff on reception the next day seemed quite nice. Word of warning though do not go to this hotel I have been to many many hotels and never ever been treated with such disregard. We were offered alternative rooms by reception staff the next day as we were booked to stay two nights but the whole experience was ruined for us. And this place is not cheap! Even though they scrimp on both staff and the breakfast buffet selection was minimal. Funny enough none of this would really have bothered me if we'd been treated with a friendly face and made to feel welcome. Avoid like the plague!!!!

• Stayed February 2012
10 Thank RussAlex
Irelands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Just back from a 2 night weekdn stay in the Castle Oaks and cannot praise the pale high enough. There was uite a large group of us both adults and children for a family celebration and we stayed in the Garden Suites which were ideal for what we required. The Garden Suites are very spacious and clean and the only thing they lacked was a firdge but thats a very minor complaint. We ate in the hotel both nights and found the food to be delicious and very reasonable. The hotel setting as stated by other reviewers is perfect, very relaxing and off the beaten track. All in all a wonderful weekend was had by all and many thanks to all staff who couldn't do enough for us from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. Hopefully we will return in the future

1 Thank Jeeeeeeh
Dear Reviewer

It is also great to meet feedback about our staff. It is the friendly and welcoming staff that we pride ourselves most on.
Set on 26 acres of mature gardens on the banks of the River Shannon is the perfect location for a getaway break. The sound of the flowing water as you walk the gardens is tranquil and peaceful. The garden suites offer excellent space for families.
We look forward to welcoming your group back to Castle Oaks to sample and savour more of our genuine Irish hospitality.

Again Many thanks for your review.
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

This is a beautiful retreat just outside Limerick. Walks, views with personality.
They came to our rescue when another hotel lost our reservation and we feel we got lucky for that. The food is excellent for choice and quality. The rooms are large and tranquil. The people are welcoming and engaging. I know I mentioned the food but it’s worth saying twice fabulous.

2 Thank Marie D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I felt relaxed as soon as I walked through the door of hotel. I would recommend the hotel to all.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Cat-Agn
Castlebar, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed 3 nights great food very accommodating for food intolerant people soup rolls for coelics were delicious staff were excellent great weekend enjoyed by all

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Frances L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleconnell
6.6 km away
Clarion Hotel Limerick
Clarion Hotel Limerick
#8 of 20 in Limerick
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,042 reviews

Been to Castle Oaks House Hotel? Share your experiences!