“Top Class Hotel with a location to match” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa

L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in St Brelade
worcester
“Top Class Hotel with a location to match”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Have just returned from a family break at L'Horizon, We had a lovely 3 night stay and will most definitley return.
The Arrival at the hotel was very smooth and because we were arrving slightly out of season we were able to check straight in to our room at 10am! and having a 1yr made things a lot easier!
The staff are very hard working and welcoming, in particular David a young man that helped us with our luggage who was very friendly and polite throughout our stay and paval who provided great service in the restaurant
The rooms were situated at the front of the hotel and we had a balcony overlooking the bay (wow what a view!!!) the rooms had everything you would need and was spotless! I had a bath and didnt even need to wash the bath before hand!!!! room service was prompt and a turn down service was also provided!
I had a spa treatement, a full body massage, again Lucy the therapist was really welcoming and i had a lovely hour in the treatment room.
The indoor pool is lovely and again clean
We hired a car and toured the island and there is plenty of parking at the hotel.
I will say that even though we were travelling with our young son, the hotel is very much a adult hotel so dont be put off if you are after a quiet weekend!! we were the minority with children and still felt welcomed.

Room Tip: book a sea view balcony room !!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Hi, thank you for taking the time to review the hotel

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the visit and had so many positive comments and you have mentioned the position and view which we all love as much as the guests do.

Thank you for comment about Lucy, we will ensure that she is rewarded for being mentioned on here.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I travelled to L'Horizon on the same weekend at 8bzodiac and were booked on the same flight from Southampton which was cancelled due to fog in Jersey. However, we got creative and phoned Condor ferries, booked two seats on the miday ferry from Poole and arrived at 4pm. The Flybe refund was exactly the same as the mini cab fare and seats on the ferry; excellent trip on a flat calm sea. Travelling to Jersey in the future from Autumn through Spring I'll definitely book a flight where the timing, if cancelled, gives the ferry option!

L'Horizon never lets us down having been quite a number of times both in and out of season. Yes, it's all about location - sea view rooms are a 'must have'. All staff treat guests very well (Pedro and Charles are quite a couple of characters!). Breakfast gives a very wide choice to suit all palates, and dinner - whether Crystal Room, Brasserie or Grill - has never let us down. Not somewhere where the prices are bargain basement but for a really good Hotel in Jersey, stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stanthegreekfan
Hi, thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor.

Firstly, thank you for going to all that effort to get here after your flight had been cancelled, well done. I am glad that all that hard work was worth it.

Thank you for the very kind comments about the hotel, also for the mentions of Charles and Pedro. I shall ensure that are aware of the comments and are rewarded for being mentioned.

I hope that you are able to visit again soon, hopefully by your initial chosen method of travel.

Martin Kelly
Tunbridge Wells, kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stay for 2 nights B and B with dinner on the first night. Room very good this wasn't a sea view but still nice very. Dinner was good but very slow service took ages to get all courses. Breakfast loads of choice. Lovely setting over looking the bay. Had a great spa treatment and the spa area was very good. The hotel was kept very clean and staff friendly. A very nice short break weather was great.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Tazbun
St Helier, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I treated ourselves to a Saturday night stop-over at the L'Horizon. We had wondered what the hotel was like as we have seen it many times from the outside.
The hotel is very clean and welcoming.
Our room was spacious, with a balcony overlooking the stunning St Brelades Bay.
The rooms mini bar had compimentary water in it. We ordered the mini bar upgade package that was on offer, ordering through room service. When it had not arrived half an hour later, I phoned room service again who appologised that the order had not been made/delivered. It duely arrived with several 'extras' by way of appology (?).
We had an evening meal that left rather a lot to be desired. This was mainly due to the very slow arrival, some 25+ minutes, of the main course. One of our meals appeared to have been held under a heat lamp for some time as one side of the meal, with gravy, had dried up.
The next morning the newspaper we had ordered was found outside another room, even though it had our room number on it.
We had breakfast in our room. One of the cups was dirty (unusable). The milk was in a small bowl (hard to pour). Why not a jug?? The breakfast itself was very nice, with plenty to eat.
The facilities are very good, although from our experience the service was lacking for such an establishment.
The hotel was average, but Mother Natures input (location) was perfectly stunning.

Room Tip: To enjoy the view (beach side) you may have to put up with the sound of the sea at night.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank EuroMotoPG
Peter F, Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor
I am sorry you found our service to be lacking the detail required.
I apologise for the delay on the main course and have discussed this with the head chef to ensure we do not hold plates under the lamp for long periods as I believe we do not practice such methods, If a plate is waiting for a period the chef would re make the plate.
I am embarrassed that we would have served milk in a bowl and not a jug and that a cup would have been put on a tray in a usable condition.
I have spoken to our food and beverage Manager about the incident to make sure we improve and do not let this happen again.
Once again thank you for your feedback and if you wish to discuss your experience further please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind Regards
Peter Fergus
Deputy General Manager
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and I went to L'Horizon for our wedding anniversary at the end of March. The hotel is located right on the beach and has fabulous amenities including free parking, wifi and pool. The receptionists (Kelly and Claire) were really nice and the room (we were upgraded to a deluxe sea view room) was lovely. Good size, clean, balcony with great view of the bay and fridge (no messing around with expensive minibar, which I hate). The food is great - cooked to order one day then buffet the rest of the stay. The only negative was a rowdy bunch of U14 rugby players who were charging about making a fair bit of noise while the parents were in the bar but the management dealt with our complaint quickly (told them to be more considerate or he'd charge the parents for our rooms!) and we had a complimentary bottle of bubbly as an apology

This is how hotels should be run: perfect location, clean rooms, good food, treat guests as guests and not cattle, and deal with the little issues that crop up quickly and efficiently. Well done. We would definitely go back!

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor, and thank you for the positive comments; I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

I shall pass on your comments to Kelly, unfortunately Claire has now left us and returned to the UK.

Yes, the Rugby tour were a little boisterous, more so than we had expected, we thought “they are only kids” but we were a little surprised. The booking came from another hotel on the island that unfortunately could not accommodate them at the last minute. Next time we may not assist.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope that you are able to return again soon.

Jersey - Channel Islands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Summary - Disappointed, indifferent service, missed opportunity.

Let me set the scene, as many people reading these reviews will be coming to Jersey for either a holiday or business. My stay was slightly different as we live in Jersey and were taking the opportunity to stay over one night as part of a deal that included dinner and breakfast.

Like most people from the Island We've both been to the hotel many times to have lunch, business conferences, birthday functions or weddings so we know it's perceived to be one of the top hotels in the Island and boasts an impressive location, but this was our first overnight stay.

We'd taken the day off work in order that we could get to the hotel early and use the SPA facilities. Unfortunately We were telephoned late morning to be advised that the SPA had been closed temporarily due to unforeseen circumstances.

Check in

"Hello, we have a reservation"
"What is your name please"
Gave the name(s)
"No I don't remember that name", as she shuffles through the envelopes.

Not the most friendly of welcomes. After finding our envelope she asked if we had the printed, original voucher for our stay. Wow nothing like making us feel special! Erm nope we didn't have the voucher - but it will be the same as we gave over the phone when we booked the room. Apparently not sufficient so I had to use the hotels internet PC to log in and print off the voucher, to which she said "Yes that matches our record". Of course it does I thought to myself, a simple check of my I.D would prove I was the person who made the booking and avoid this embarrassing situation. Anyway after our UN welcome we were given our key and pointed in the general direction of our room.

The receptionist made no mention that the Spa was closed but I did see a notice on the desk so I asked if the Spa had re-opened yet. The receptionist advised that it would most likely be closed for the rest of the day. This was pretty disappointing as it was the main reason why we'd both taken the day off work. Perhaps not the hotels fault that the Spa was closed but they could have least offered an alternative, or a "I'm sorry for your inconvenience, please accept a pack of nuts from the bar" - something, rather than just, the spa is closed, we will ring you once we know more - incidentally we didn't hear anything more.

The room

Sea view room. Nice enough, small to mid size, clean but outdated and tired looking. Comfy bed, decent size TV and sliding doors on to a balcony with fantastic views over the bay so at high tide you can hear the sea breaking near the wall.

The bar

Right, as the Spa was closed we took a walk up the beach and had a spot of lunch at the Oyster Box Restaurant (V good by the way). We then decided as we were staying at the L'Horizon it would be nice to sit out on their veranda area and share a bottle of wine in the sun. On asking for the wine list at the bar we were handed a laminated type card with a small selection of wines. Nothing took my fancy so I asked if there was another wine list. The waiter said he'd get the wine list from the restaurant. Great I thought, but he came back 30 seconds later and said the restaurant was closed. Hmmm didn't exactly go out of your way there then. The wines by the way are extortionately priced, but I thought if I'm going to be charged big bucks I'd at least like to think I'm paying for the choice. Not to be as I wasn't even given the chance to choose from the main wine list. Is this the level of service in every hotel in Jersey? Perhaps I've been spoilt in other countries and the service industry in Jersey has just rested on its laurels. Surely if they have the wines in the hotel they should make them available in the bar, not just when the Grill restaurant is open.

The restaurant

Dinner was served (to us) in an odd function type room with glass walls, more an after thought than a dedicated restaurant. It really did feel odd watching people walk up the corridor to the toilets. It seems that all the guests eating that night in this room were also on the overnight stay deal. Best dump all us freeloaders together. Service was very slow, our drinks took 20 mins to turn up and the glasses were not topped up, perhaps our rate didn't warrant a top up service, but to be fair to the 2 people serving they seemed flat out, so not really their fault, more the management, although our food did turn up more promptly than our drinks and was nice enough.

Breakfast

Buffet, done the job. Got shown to seat but was never asked If we'd like tea or coffee. Again the servers seemed very rushed and were getting a bit of hassle for forgetting peoples drinks orders. At least they were asked, we didn't even have the opportunity for them to forget our order.

Check out

Chap was very nice, shame he wasn't around when we checked in as he was the complete opposite to the lady who checked us in.

Overall - Very disappointed. I'm surprised that the hotel did not use this as an opportunity to sell their hotel and services to local residents. I got the impression they were using the voucher guests to merely fill up rooms in the low season and to make a quick buck. What if I was thinking of using the hotel for a wedding reception? or perhaps looking to recommend a hotel to businesses colleagues or friends and family visiting the Island - I'd hardly be going away with a glowing impression. They have a fantastic location, decent facilities on the ground floor, average bedrooms but where they really let themselves down is in their customer support. A smile, a hello, those little actions that do not cost, but make a persons stay memorable - for the right reasons.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Dave-Jersey
Dear Guest thank you for your review on trip advisor

I apologise for your experience at check in, the greeting could have been a lot warmer from us and I have spoke to the staff member concerned.
With your booking type, the voucher is required on check in, whether proof of identification is provided or not, however I do agree it could have been handled in a much better way and I do apologise for this uncomforting arrival.

I am sorry for the inconvenience of closing the spa due to unforeseen circumstances, if it was within our capability to open the area again on that day we would have done so but due to the nature of the circumstance we were unable to.
I do agree we should informed you better of the reopening time which was 7am the next morning. All treatments which were booked were accommodated for over the next couple of days.

In relation to the wine I do apologise for the lack of service given. it is not a hard task to get the wine from the restaurant to serve to our guests and I am quite embarrassed that such a feeble excuse was given. My expectation is that all of our wines are available for our guests in the lounge.

I am sorry we let you down on the drinks service at dinner and that you found our Atlantic room not to your liking. It is a dedicated dining room both for lunch and dinner.
Also your breakfast order also should not have been delayed. I have discussed this with the Food and beverage Manager who is responsible for organising the staff and we do see this as our responsibility as managers to ensure the staff are organised in an effective manner to handle our guests requirement.

In relation to the rate we do see it as being an opportunity to showcase the hotel to the island and local residents; however mistakes are made which we accept and endeavour to learn from and improve on.

Once again thank you for your review and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss you stay with you personally in more detail.

Kind Regards
Peter Fergus
Deputy General Manager
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my husband's birthday weekend. I emailed the hotel prior to our stay to reserve a table at the Grill Restaurant due to the occasion. On arrival there we were greeted by Kelly, who was very friendly and efficient, and wished my husband Happy Birthday. The hotel had upgraded us to a seaview room and left a birthday card and bottle of wine in the room as a gift, which was very thoughtful.

The room itself was beautiful; really comfortable with every amenity you could think of provided. The view onto St Brelades Bay was breathtaking, and the outside table and chairs on the balcony helped to maximise the enjoyment.

Although it was St Patrick's Day and Mother's Day weekend, and apparently very busy, the hotel didn't feel packed or noisy. We had dinner in The Grill on the first night, which was delicious. The only slight grumble was that the staff could have been more attentive, and learn the art of peripheral awareness! The only time one of the waiters made eye contact with us and was over at the table like a shot was when we left a cash tip on the table. That said, all the staff we encountered were polite and friendly. The breakfasts were full with an extensive choice. We didn't use the indoor pool or the spa but it looked very inviting.

The hotel is situated in the middle of the bay and as such it is possible to walk along the promenade in either direction, which takes you to other bars, restaurants and a small shop. It is well lit at night and walking from one end to the other was a perfect way to end an evening.

To sum up, if you want a tasteful, relaxing hotel in a fabulous location with excellent facilities and staff then look no further. We are already planning our return.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a sea view. It's worth it.
1 Thank R+J2
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay, thank you for the kind comments and the mention of Kelly on reception. I shall ensure that she is made aware of your comments.

I am sorry that the restaurant team were not as attentive as you would have liked, we are dealing with that situation, your comments are very helpful regarding this.

Thank you once again for the review and we hope you have the chance to return to L’Horizon in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Brelade
8.3 km away
Longueville Manor
Longueville Manor
#1 of 5 in StSaviour

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!