“Once again perfect!”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in St Helier
Guernsey
“Once again perfect!”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I have just returned from my fourth trip to the Grand this year and it was wonderful. I have just looked at some previous reviews and am utter appalled by some of them. How anyone can call the Grand a jail is completely beyond me - in fact I find it thoroughly offensive. It is interesting that he talks about the staff in such a rude way - I have always found through life that if you are nice to people people are nice back - maybe he/she should think about that!
Another lovely weekend with fabulous weather, lovely food, exceptional staff, fabulous Spa and great rooms. I highly recommend the Grand - whatever the time of year!
I'll be back soon!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheMissingLink66
MelissaCrowther, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you once again for your outstanding review of Grand Jersey, it is always a pleasure to welcome our regular guests back to the hotel and we thoroughly enjoy having you here.

Thank you for you lovely comments regarding our staff, I will of course pass these on the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Eamonn Elliott.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We have just spent a long weekend in an executive seaview room here at the Grand and it has been a lovely experience. The room was very clean, toiletries were replenished daily as was the complimentary chilled still and sparkling water. We had a lovely view at to Castle Elizabeth and then across to St Aubin. We ate in Victoria Restaurant on the first evening. The staff were very friendly and keen to ensure that the experience was pleasurable.
The hotel is well situated for both a stroll into the town centre and to the main bus station which then allows access to the whole island.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of Grand Jersey. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind words regarding our staff.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Grand Jersey in the near future.

Kind regards,
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

first trip to jersey and have to say it was a very much enjoyed 2 night stay made up of a great location and a great hotel. Despite the reviews I think the Grand Jersey is worthy of a 5 star rating as the hotel is of a high standard with very well trained staff. Past reviews have moaned about the rooms and although the rooms are on the smaller side they are decorated and furnished to a high standard and are only on the small side due to the age of the building. To be honest we didnt spend a great deal of time in the room as there was far too much to be done outdoors and anyone who wants a room to stay in all day needs to get a life. The hotel facilities are great, the gym and spa is of a high standard and the terrace bar a great way to relax with a drink in the sun. The champagne bar is set in grand surrounds and the drinks list very extensive and expensive if thats what you're looking for. We never dined in the hotel in the evenings but breakfast was a buffet and ranged from full english to continental and a choice to suit most tastes. Overall though what impressed us most was the service provided by the staff, very polite and courtious where nothing was too mcuh trouble. Customer service is important to me and this hotel didnt fail to deliver, well done.
Jersey itself is far from what we expected but not in a bad way, we expected it to be sleepy and quiet full of elderly people when in reality it's lively with lots to do and a range of ages living and holidaying there. The whole place is very clean and the beaches perfect, we were lucky enough to visit while wall to wall hot sun was shining down on us which added to the holiday. Lots to do as well and plenty of cafes an restaurants. There is a restaurant called Aromas up the side street next to the hotel which serves very good food at a good price and has very friendly staff. Overall a great mini break, a great hotel and a great island. Thankyou. PS the beds are very very comfortable and if I could I would have one shipped to my home and also a tip for smokers, we bought cigarettes on the plane for £40 for 400. Great value

1 Thank daz_79
MelissaCrowther, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of Grand Jersey. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your first trip to Jersey and cannot thank you enough for your kind words regarding our hotel and, in particular, our staff.

Jersey is a beautiful island with much to offer and we sincerely hope you will return in the future.

Kindest regards,
amble
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Service Top Class 5 star.
Room Suite on Second Floor stayed in the same room in 2010
Location looking out to Elizebeth Castle an Esplanade
The staff are first class, a bench mark for any hotel to achieve.
We stayed Bed @ Breakfest, dined out most evenings to explore the food experience of Jersey

1 Thank cosy1
MelissaCrowther, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review Grand Jersey again, we are delighted that you decided to re-visit us, and even more so to learn you plan to come again next year!

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and am very grateful for your comments. We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Leeds
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Excellent hotel had a wonderful one weeks holiday again.

From the moment we arrived Reception staff polite and friendly. Gave us a tour round the hotel showed us all the amenities. Concierge helpful showed us how the television and safe worked. Demand T.V really good films available.

Room really spacious and comfortable. Had a Family Executive Suite with balcony with a brillant view of Elizabeth Castle.

Every morning Reception and Concierge said morning to my Son and Daughter making them feel welcome (nice little touch). Breakfast hot and cold buffet, plenty of fresh fruit spolit for choice.

In the evening over three different nights ate in the Victoria Restaurant. Some staff remebered my Son and Daughters names asking them what they had done during the day. Live music Saturday night really entertaining. Food excellent reasonable prices. Well worth the money.

Only swim but the Spa facilities looked really good. Children both enjoyed the showers which change different colours.

The cinema is excellent.

Champagne lounge and Terrace really enjoyed. Really good service.

The Grand is a ten minute walk from St Helier some great shops. My daughter enjoyed shopping only Six.

Overall a excellent stay. Son and Daughter can not wait to go back. Feels like home definitely won their vote.

Three times we have stayed at Grand Jersey gets better everytime. Thank you made our holiday.

Special thanks to Mickey and Horia credit to Eamonn ahd the Grand.

Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Pinklady35
MelissaCrowther, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Grand Jersey with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time here.

I am especially grateful for your comments pertaining to our staff members, we sincerely appreciate your kind words.

It was an absolute pleasure to look after you and your family and we hope to see you all again very soon!

Ireland
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We never stay in the same hotel twice. We consider the hotel as part of the adventure of visiting a place, especially if we are revisiting a city or country. I do stay in the same hotels for business but this was purely for pleasure.

We stayed at the Grand in Summer 2010. Although generally wowed by the location, facilities, staff, etc. all the ingredients did not mix well together. It seemed everything was there but not in the right order. I wrote a review thereafter and pointed out how I thought it could create the right mix.

We returned for the May Bank Holiday weekend. We were greeted like long lost family when we arrived! Everyone we had met before welcoming us - in all my years I had never experienced such warmth. Blushing, we were quite chuffed - made us feel valued, like VIPs!

We had booked a suite as they offered us an excellent rate (I just couldn't refuse!!!) and it was perfect - overlooking Elizabeth Castle which remains one of my favourite views in Jersey. It really is worthwhile having a chat with the Reservations Manager to see what offers there are - the speed of his succinct replies is exceptional.

Had the last review had any effect on the hotel? Absolutely. It seemed all but one area had noted our suggestions. There was still vast room for improvement in the Bar - service was sluggish, table mats got wet - it let the rest of the hotel down. We had to even go looking to get service. This is such a pity as it is a lovely space with an exceptional view of the sea. But the rest of the hotel was brilliant. It was not only the sharpening up of the service and standards, the aim to reach the hotel's full potential, it was the sense of confidence and pride which was such a new feature and atmosphere. And well they may be proud. This is an excellent hotel and we will be back again (and I reckon again too!)

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are worth the extra
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MGMcShane
MelissaCrowther, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Dear guest

Firstly let me say how appreciative we are that you decided to return to Grand Jersey, it is always a pleasure to welcome back familiar faces!

Myself and the team are also delighted to hear that you had a much better experience of Grand Jersey this time around. Your comments are a testament to the hard work and dedication of our staff, of whom we are very proud.

I will of course pass on your comments regarding the Champagne Lounge to our Bar Manager and we will aim to address these issues immediately.

Thank you again for taking the time to revisit Grand Jersey and for your wonderful review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Suffolk, UK
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I wouldn't disagree with much written about The Grand. Our room overlooked the park and had quite a fine view of the bay which was good. The room itself was better than average and of a "better than Holiday Inn" standard, but not 5*. The place seems to be staffed by East Europeans - nothing wrong with that - but there seemed to be a real lack of supervision/ management. Breakfast was hit and miss in terms of quality of food and service. The in-hotel restaurant, Victoria's, was fine even if the wine was expensive for what it was (cheapest bottle £26). We spent one evening in Tissili's, their fine dining experience. The food was really good but the maitre d' (English) was rather supercillious and rather than putting diners at ease had quite the opposite effect! Shame really as the food was good.
We stayed a week and negotiated a modest discount on their "special deal". The pool is in the basement and a bit dark and dingy. It wasn't helped when the staff slipped out via a side door for a smoke resulting in the cigarette fumes entering the pool area.
The deal we were on included a "free car hire" with Hertz. The confirmation letter states clearly you do have to pay for "extras". Beware! The "free" offer excludes CDW, super CDW (which we declined having our own insurance cover) , half tank of petrol, insurance for the tyres!!!! In 4 days I would suggest it's impossible to use half a tank on an island so small. It's a Hertz rip off and leaves you with a bad taste.
So would I go again? No, I think there are probably better deals to be had elsewhere. The place appears to lack firm management - maybe the attention given to defending the hotel on TA by the management (presumebly?) would be better spent on attention to detail within the hotel.
2 small points - the hotel adds £1 to your bill to support a local wildlife centre! If they want to give £1 to charity that's fine, but when I'm paying £200 a day they can donate to whoever they want from their own profits. It's optional so we struck it off the bill. Finally there are some really good restaurants in Kensington Place adjacent to the hotel - Little Italy has a good atmosphere and good Italian food.

1 Thank Geraldo_Bonzo
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay at Grand Jersey. We feel it is important to read and respond to all feedback as it helps us to see where we are getting it right and where we can improve.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us and have passed your comments on to the rest of the team. We intend to address the constructive points you have raised regarding Victorias and the Spa within each of the departments, and would like to thank you for sharing your opinions with us.

I hope you will return to Grand Jersey for an altogether improved experience in the future and a true reflection of our five star service.

Kind regards,
2.7 km away
Longueville Manor
Longueville Manor
#1 of 5 in StSaviour

Been to Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!