“Superb Sri Lankan food in Jersey”
Review of Unawatuna

Unawatuna
Ranked #30 of 250 Restaurants in St Helier
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Cuisines: Sri Lankan
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This is the cooking that chef Sudu learned as a child. Armed with his mother's homemade spices (she sends them over every two to three weeks) Sudu set to work, introducing a slice of Sri Lanka, and the cuisine he loves, to foodies around the island. The authentic decor - a team effort, which both Sudu and his partner worked hard to create, sets the backdrop for his first big adventure - Unawatuna - an original name to represent the unique cuisine.
Reviewed September 6, 2018

Came here with friends whilst over in Jersey for the weekend and had researched online beforehand and seen that the restaurant catered well for vegans . We were a party of 4 , a meat eater, a pescatarian and 2 vegans. The food was amazing, so much choice for vegans and even the meat eater went veggie for the night! Much lighter than Indian cuisine, all the main dishes came with coconut sambal, rice , poppadums and dahl so really good value and washed down well with a Lion ( Sri Lankan) beer. We booked an early sitting and by the time we left the place was full and buzzing so shows how popular it is. A great choice , we will be back next time we are in the island.

Reviewed August 28, 2018

I came here last year and had a lovely dinner with my daughter. This time, I also invited my friends who live on the island. They hadn't been here before and I was delighted that they enjoyed it as much as I did.

Food and service was great and the helpful assistance we received was knowledgeable about the food and what was in it.

Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

We saw this restaurant the first evening we arrived as we were staying at The Royal Yacht Hotel & it’s virtually next door.
We went there on Friday evening, without booking at around 7.45pm. On arrival it appeared to be full, first mistake, to ensure a table on a Friday make sure you book, or you could be disappointed! Luckily for us the waiter did have one table available.
Because we hadn’t been before, or even tried Sri Lankan food we opted for the set meal for 2. This still gave a good choice of various curries but made it easier for the first time.
The flavours were amazing. You get a good serving of rice & a couple of roti’s each with dips. My favourite of our choice was the beetroot curry (you have to choose at least 1 vegetarian curry with this option).
Service was friendly & efficient.
Definitely worth a visit, we will return & it has encouraged us to try Sri Lankan again back home on the ‘mainland’.

Reviewed August 20, 2018

I'm hard pressed to think of any other Sri Lankan restaurants I have seen in the UK.

Having recently visited Sri Lanka, and discovering this restaurant, it seemed a obvious choice for a meal during my Jersey stay.

On a warm Thursday evening the place was busy when I arrived, but fortunately I had booked.

Food did not disappoint with a good choice menu. Particularly pleased to see that Lion beer was on offer. OK so it was about 2.5x the price of what a bottle was in SL - but still a very welcome addition to the meal.

If you like Asian food - then you really can't go wrong with this restaurant.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

We had a totally vegetarian meal (even though we are both meat eaters) and really enjoyed the meal. It was our first time in a Sri Lankan restaurant and the dishes seem much lighter that theIndian curries we are used to. Would certainly eat there again if we were here for longer.

UnawatunaRestaurant, Owner at Unawatuna, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2018

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. Our vegan dishes are very popular... I am So glad you enjoyed the vegetarian meal.See you soon.
Sudu.