All reviews swimming pool close to the airport flight path little tired in places base to explore st peter port restaurant staff beds were comfortable good nights sleep evening meal comfortable hotel plenty of choice large portions tea and coffee making facilities breakfast was included excellent value for money cooked breakfast
Reviewed May 25, 2018

Location was just perfect for us.........not too far from the airport or St Peter Port.We used the local buses for a few days then hired a car from Europcar which was delivered to the hotel. We were informed we could have it collected back from the hotel or leave at the airport. Nothing seemed too much trouble for the management and staff.The room was a good size and had everything we needed...or we could request anything else.....which we did and were helped. The reception staff were extremely helpful with everything and so were the dining room staff where we had an enjoyable breakfast every morning.......We also enjoyed our swims in the hotel pool. We have stayed in hotels ranging from 3 star to 5star in Australia and this hotel exceeds in friendliness and personal care. On our last day when our hire car was returned the hotel manager gave us a lift in his own car, before he started work to a place that was not easily accessible by the bus.........although it was easily accessible by bus to return......which we did.
We would recommend La Trelade and intend to return next year.We stayed for almost two weeks

Room Tip: All rooms are probably good here
Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ruthslady7
Reviewed May 24, 2018 via mobile

I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels for both business and pleasure, but never in my life have I ever experienced anything like La Trelade.
Myself and a colleague arrived late due to some urgent work and the need for dinner, the front desk staff member kindly waited for us until 10:15 to check us in. We had been warned that any later and we would be outside all night like the peasants we clearly were.
The first thing that struck me was that I couldn’t open my bedroom door. It seems that the locks in the hotel are all broken and it takes something of a knack, several minutes, and a magic incantation to open.
When I eventually got into the room i had that feeling you get when you step off of a plane, and onto the surface of the sun. It had been 26c outside all day but for some reason the heating had been left on with both radiators on full. I turned them off. Opening the window didn’t help much so after several cold showers I finally climbed into a very uncomfortable bed and tried to finish some work. Fortunately for me those plans were scuppered by the WiFi not working which left me time for another cold shower instead. There’s a lot to be said for leaving your windows and curtains open all night, everyone should give it a try, who needs security when you can wake up at sunrise. Thankfully, even though I’d shut the radiator valve all the way, it was still producing a lot of heat like an ever warming hug through a terrible nightmare.

And why didn’t I complain about any of this? Why didn’t I give them a chance to put things right before slandering them on the internet?

The reception closes at 10pm but you have the option to phone the proprietor, who doesn’t answer the phone and the answering machine is full or perhaps it’s broken. You’re left entirely to your own devices (which can’t connect to the WiFi) while Mr Fawlty sits at home counting his money.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Neil C
LaTreladeHotel, Front Office Manager at La Trelade Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2018

Dear Reviewer,
I am sorry that you felt the need to write such an unfavourable review of your night’s stay.
In my opinion, much of your situation was caused by your Corporate Travel Agent, who booked you into our Hotel via an online booking agency. When they did this, it clearly states that you can only check in up to 10pm, but they didn’t pass the information onto you. We are only a small 3 star Hotel, we are not obliged to have a Night Porter.

Had you checked in before 10pm, I would have been available to reset the WiFi and try and help you with your heating issues, or changed you to a cooler room.

I am sorry that the Hotel Owner didn’t answer his phone during the night. This number has now been changed to someone who will more be available to help with Emergencies during the night-time.

The Hotel is under new Management, and we are striving to make improvements to all aspects of our guests stay experience.
I hope that if you come to Guernsey again, you could give us a second chance, so we can show you the new and improved service.

Reviewed May 6, 2018

This is a rather charming hotel with friendly, helpful staff. We were welcomed on arrival and the staff came out to wave goodbye as our coach left, our luggage was given proper care and porterage. For a budget price this was a small, elegant place to stay.

Everywhere was clean and the garden was a relaxing and pleasant place to sit. I don't know where Cuthbert Henry went on his holiday but he seems a proper misery, so I am glad we didn't run accross him!! The rooms were absolutely fine, the bathrooms seem fairly new and had baths with showers over. This was not convenient for me, as I am disabled but I was welcome to use the facilities at the health suite, where there were good size showers, with non slip floors. The showers were easy to operate which is also handy if like me you have arthritis to contend with.

The food was excellent and the service was friendly and kind, nothing was too much trouble. As my illness makes me tire easily, I used the room service option a few times and found that to be really helpful. Tea and coffee facilities in the room were replenished daily and very handy.

There is an excellent gym suite for guests to use. For older, infirm or lone travellers, this is an comfortable, safe hotel, with a lift, that offers every support that it can, from bus timetables, ordering taxis, free phone calls, English TV, all at an excellent price. The bus stop is very close and the fares for anywhere on the isand are just £1, so if you can't take your car you can still get around easily.

Carlos is a star and heads up a team of other cheerfully helpful people, it was a joy to stay there. Everyone, including Mark was polite and attentive, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and hope to return in the autumn.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank chrisgoneferal
Reviewed May 1, 2018

This is arguably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Not because the room is poor, in fact it’s quite a nice room, though the view from the window is of a flat roof with engineering debris from the hotel and an old table, for some reason. The bed is obviously old and has probably had several thousand different backsides breaking wind in it over the years, which has resulted in the bed being less than comfortable. Not because the shower is rubbish, because it’s quite a good shower, the best feature of the room I would say and not because the wash basin is mounted so low it could easily be (and probably has been) used as a urinal. The reason this is probably the worst hotel I have stayed in is because of the complete lack of care of anything to do with the hotel’s appearance. The car park is littered with abandoned cars, cars with grass growing around them. The lawn (where there should be grass) hasn’t seen a mower since last year. At least. The chap on reception (Mark) has the charm and grace of a prison warder, when he can be bothered to look up from his computer screen. When I left I placed the room key on the reception desk and said ‘thank you’, Mark looked up from his screen and said ‘thank you’. Maybe I’m just being unrealistic but an enquiry as to how my stay has been might have been appropriate but then Mark is clearly not bothered about customer service otherwise he’d be a lot more affable. By contrast, Carlos, the chap who seems to run the restaurant is the epitome of helpfulness and politeness. Carlos is the reason people may return to the hotel. Indeed, at breakfast a couple who apparently use the hotel from time to time said the only reason they come back is because of Carlos. So, if the owners want to improve the image of the hotel, get rid of the scrapyard in the front, mow the lawn, sack Mark and promote Carlos.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a view of the scrapyard
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Cuthbert-Henrys
LaTreladeHotel, Front Office Manager at La Trelade Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2018

Dear Reviewer,
I am sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with your stay at La Trelade Hotel, and we have taken on board your comments.
The Hotel has had a change of Management in April, and we are spending a lot of time and money to rectify some of the frayed edges of the Hotel.
We are looking to replace some of the older beds during the course of the year.
In order to get rid of the abandoned cars under Guernsey Law, we had to go to the Royal Court to get a special permit, which we now have, and half the cars are gone, and the remainder are going soon.
The Gardens are now managed by a local gardening company and the lawns are mowed fortnightly, they are due for the next mowing tomorrow.
I am sorry that you felt that I was concentrating too much on my computer work and not conversing enough with guests like yourself. I do try my best to keep an eye out for approaching guests, so I can break away from the screen and greet them, but sometimes I don't see them quick enough, and only hear the key being put down, so I just say 'Thank You', I will make more of an effort in future.
Carlos, our Restaurant Manager is amazing. He has been here over 30 years and is a consummate professional, who we are proud to have in our team.
Under the new Management we are constantly repairing and improving the Hotel. I hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the future, so you can see the improvements.

Reviewed April 28, 2018

Yes a little less modern, but good beds, masses of hot water - good shower, all very clean, staff tremendous, nothing two much trouble.. We had cooked breakfast each morning, faultless. dined one evening in restaurant, and again very good food. Bus route outside ( we are not old biddies, just like a glass or two at lunch!). Other reviews, please take lightly, I was concerned by them until we arrived, but if you find fault you are on the wrong holiday!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple