All reviews games room self catering kitchen an adventure en suite family room evening meal perfect base every morning old railway devon coast to coast car park hostel cycling facilities bunk corridor lounge storage
Reviewed July 31, 2016 via mobile

Stayed for one night with 3 adults. I don't have a lot of experience with YHA but this one seemed perfectly OK. Good rooms that were clean, basic and what you expect with bunk beds.

Location is quite some way from the main town and also up a steep hill.

Breakfast was good quality, varied and enough.

Staff we met were friendly.

Main issue was that our room was on the first floor and (as we discovered at 6:00 in the morning) right over the extremely noisy kitchen extractor fan!! As the room was quite warm we had to have the window open meaning this did wake us all up.

All in all a good stay and good value.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2016

After lovely stays at YHA Lizard and Coverack, this was definitely sub-standard. The 6 bed room was fine, although the storage cages looked battered. Part of the floor in the male toilet block was permanently wet (water hopefully!), there were no hooks near the wash basins to hang your towel etc, and no shower curtain. Dinner was not offered on the night I stayed, but,as I need gluten-free, I had brought my own food (the staff did tell me that they catered for food allergies, which was good). However, the Members' Kitchen was the worst I have ever seen - t towel left on the floor, filthy water and cutlery left in washing up bowls, washed dishes left by some "considerate" person, only one dish/cutlery rack for 2 sinks and no spoons available in the cutlery tray. No instructions in how to light the gas cooker, but a helpful guest explained that it wasn't obvious, but you had to use 2 switches, as the one labelled "cooker ignition" was not sufficient on its own!! When available, the staff were friendly, but clearly the 5 star Hygiene Rating only applies to the preparation of food in the staff kitchen.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2016

Stayed with friends for the one night in a six bed with bathroom, had pre booked a gorge scrambling in the afternoon which was hilarious fun, the instructors kept the motivation of our group going the whole time. We had planned to walk to town to eat but stayed and ate in the hostel instead; the food was as good as the pub would have been but better value for money.

Stayed: March 2016
Reviewed March 27, 2016

Stayed with my family for short break and enjoyed our stay very much. The children really enjoyed playing pool and table tennis in the games room. Our bedroom and ensuite were both spacious and clean. We were able to self cater which helped to keep holiday costs down but treated ourselves to a meal in the onsite restaurant which was really tasty and great value as child’s dinner was free with our meal!! Would recommend to other families.

Stayed: March 2016
Reviewed December 3, 2015

Poor service - you felt like staff were being inconvenienced by having to deal with you. Needed a room where I could sort my cycling gear out. Paid £50 for a single room, which turned out to be a very small room with 2 bunkbeds. En suite bathroom had paint peeling from ceiling and mould around shower. I'd paid as little as £45 on the trip for excellent hotel rooms, with breakfast included. YHA? Never again unless all other available accomodation has burnt to the ground.

Stayed: November 2015