All reviews games room self catering kitchen an adventure en suite family room evening meal perfect base every morning old railway devon coast to coast car park hostel cycling facilities bunk corridor lounge storage
Reviewed May 12, 2017

If you haven't been to a YHA for a while, try this place as it will be a treat. If your memories are of customer service akin to Attila the Hun, you will find things have moved on. It's a fantastic building, and old railway shed, converted to a high standard. Standard rooms as you would get in any YHA to be fair. The shower, whilst a tight squeeze, was utterly fantastic in terms o power and heat. The games room and lounge were big and spacious and well equipped although the TVwas difficult to operate. Bar and cafe and kitchen area was great. Food was good. The kitchen for your use was a little small but I guess most bought food from the service area. There is a garden for a kickabout and a bike hire place in the corner of the car park plus an adventure company on site. Brillant place. Give it a go.

1  Thank RichTetbury
Mary S, Marketing Manager at YHA Okehampton, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2018

Many thanks for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you had a good experience during your visit to YHA Okehampton. We will be refreshing the site this winter and hope you'll be able to return at some stage to see the changes.

Reviewed April 24, 2017

The bunk bed was surprisingly comfy, except when the fire alarm went off late one night. Cooked breakfast provided every morning, including my veggie and soya options. Really tasty. Stayed for 4 nights over Easter half term so quite busy and a bit noisy at times.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Mary S, marketing manager at YHA Okehampton, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2018

Many thanks for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you had a good experience during your visit to YHA Okehampton and that he catering team dealt with your soya/veggie requirments. We will be refreshing the site this winter and hope you'll be able to return at some stage to see the changes.

Reviewed April 19, 2017

We thought we had Booked an en suite family room, but upon arrival we found ourselves in a room with 3 bunk beds and 1 chair. The only storage space was on or under beds and the showers and toilets were along the corridor. We asked to move but were told they were fully booked and that the family room had been booked for quite a while so we must have mad a mistake when booking! We tried to cancel but were told that as we had used a discount code online when booking, this counted as a special promotional rate and was therefore nonrefundable. Despite this, the place was pretty clean, the staff friendly, especially the catering staff. We went for the option with breakfast included and they were very happy to provide vegetarian food as well as soya milk with no quibbles. My 2 boys aged 4 and 6 loved the old train station location. There was ample free parking and all local amenities were in easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Be prepared for the uphill walk back to hostel after visiting the town centre.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family

Many thanks for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you found the rooms clean, food provided and staff friendly during your visit to YHA Okehampton. These comments are passed to management and staff. We are sorry to hear of the confusion on your room booking. On various online booking sites including YHA's booking the "Family Room" does not mean that it has a bathroom, it describes the price basis for the room, so only those booking a "Family Room with Bathroom" will have private facilities. During the season there will be various special promotions on room prices through YHA, Free to Book and Booking.com, but many of these prices are non-refundable/non-transferable. Usually we try to accommodate customer requests to change room, but during busy periods we may not be able to assist. At YHA Okehampton there are several single bathrooms with shower and toilets in the hostel, so that you have access to similar facilities to an en-suite room.We will be refreshing the site this winter and have reviewed all feedback to inform these upgrades.
We hope you'll be able to return at some stage to see the changes.

Reviewed November 3, 2016

I stayed here for four days and enjoyed myself very much. The place is very much family orientated but as a sole traveller I did not feel out of place. The staff are great, helpful and knowledgeable. The food is brilliant if you do not want to self cater. I can strongly recommend the macaroni cheese. The only downside was that there was only one locker in the room so with six people that could cause a problem with securing valuable.

Room Tip: Cross your fingers that nobody snoozes!
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo

Many thanks for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you found the rooms clean, food provided and staff friendly during your visit to YHA Okehampton. We have noted your comments about providing additional lockers for securing valuables and these comments are passed to management and staff for consideration for the winter improvements each year.

Reviewed September 16, 2016

I stayed here for 4 nights, rooms were tiny, there was no space to put our stuff, there was sand in our beds too. As there was sand in my bed, as soon as I got there, I decided to take a shower, the shower that I used was very small and had a strange smell to it, I wasn't even able to change the temperature, it was freezing. Moving on to food, I found egg shell in my scrambled eggs and the bacon was fatty, it barely looked cooked. A member of staff was very rude to me and pretty much ruined my day. Hopefully I'll never have to stay here again.

Room Tip: don't waste your money, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank SusanRoutley

Many thanks for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We have noted your comments about the lack of places to stand your bags and the smell of cleaning materials and these comments are passed to management and staff for consideration for improvements each year.