Review Highlights

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Smiler996
North Yorkshire
via mobile

All reviews my daughter horse riding hour hack fantastic experience wild ponies morning ride great guide beautiful scenery staff were really friendly two hours see you next year the pub rain yard girls canter pony
Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

Best ride out I’ve ever had. Stunning views despite the mist with great local knowledge from our lead Rider Hayley. But best of all my horse Russell was just stunning. A true gentleman so well behaved but gave me my first gallop! A beaut to ride. Will definitely be coming back!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Shilstone Rocks riding school and horse adventures, I booked a 2hr riding session as a early birthday surprise for my wife, she had ridden before and I had only very rudimentary understanding of riding - the team at Shilstone Rock where fantastic, took time to understand our requirements and abilities - matching us with the right horses.

Friendly and helpful staff my our day, looking after our welfare and providing clear instructions & information, the riding on the moor was as expected - just brilliant - we where lucky with the weather and had clear blue sky’s (but very cold) & a great guide showing us the sights.

Highly recommend - top tip go for the morning ride to catch the moor at its best (ie people free).

1  Thank Smiler996
Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

Went for a 1 hour journey over Dartmoor with guide Maria. Myself and my husband are beginners and we’re given the appropriate horses for our levels. Maria was exceptionally lovely, and made the experience even better. Highly Recommend for beginners.

Keith and Angela

1  Thank Sydney A
Reviewed September 17, 2018

My daughter and I went for a one hour ride , after not having ridden for a couple of years my knees are not great these days and my daughter had a bad experience on an ex army horse , so we were both a bit nervous . Corrine our guide understood our we were feeling and the ride was tailored to our needs, we trotted and had a small canter which made us feel relaxed , we will definitely come back maybe two hours next time , and there is a lovely little pub just along the road , The Rugglestone Inn

Reviewed August 27, 2018

My daughter and I were on holiday in Exeter and as horse owners wanted to go up on the moors for a nice hack and to explore the countryside.The stables we found in Widecombe although in a rather narrow road were amazing..The people who ran it were very knowledgeable.Everyone had a test on their horses first in a sand school to make sure you were placed on the right horse for your ability You were able to choose beginners,novice or advance levels and the hack were either one hour or two hours.We went on the advance level and the horses were wonderful.Lively,fun to ride not just a kick and go.The guide was brilliant ,she told as all about the surrounding area.We went for four canters in two hours ,through water and up and down hills.Truly beautiful.
I would throughly recommend this place as a great morning out for any ability group.

Reviewed June 19, 2018

I do not ride anymore but have done in the past. Guided pony trecking always worth considering if you are youg enough and have the skill . You will certainly see more of the Moor than in a car.

Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

Staff were superb. Very safe and informative with info about the horses, how to ride for beginners and about the area.

Well worth a visit.

Reviewed August 29, 2017

I took my daughter for a beginners riding session which in total lasted approx 90 minutes. From arrival staff were really friendly helping my daughter with kit fitting + hire.

She said the ride was excellent with amazing views and that more importantly the instructor was attentive and helped with the groups varying riding skills.

Great value and 100%worth visiting - we traveled for over an hour based on recommendations and weren't disappointed..

1  Thank JayBee1239
Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed our first ride out together. My husband had never sat on a horse before, but was perfectly taken care of, given great instruction and put on a lovely horse that calmly followed the route and behaved very well!
The weather was a little foggy to say the least, the lovely guide pointed out the general direction in which beautiful views could be found, hehe! But the mist across the moors was very atmospheric and we spotted a few wild ponies and foals amongst the heather and old stone walls.
All in all, a fantastic experience!

Reviewed August 24, 2017 via mobile

What a find and two fantastic afternoon rides thoroughly enjoyed by both Mum and 7 yr old daughter. Ponies picked for you by ability and really liked that they watched us ride in the ménage before setting off to make sure we were happy and actually could trot etc. All the ponies looked happy and in great condition and a well organised yard. Staff efficient but very friendly and very happy to chat. Stunning scenery up on the Moor - a 2 hr trek is well worth it. My 7 yr old loved 'Charlie' her Dartmoor pony and was well looked after by our guide, and after her first ever trek had had such a good time we booked again for the next day. Even better the 2nd time out! Highly recommended!