All reviews chesil beach deluxe room stunning views weymouth bay buffet style outdoor pool olympic rings restaurant bar the ground floor bottled water car park dining room breakfast was excellent evening meal jurassic coast both nights restaurant staff
Reviewed January 4, 2016

As advertised, The Heights is 365 feet above sea level. We arrived on a very windy night, and were told by Reception to expect a late night Xmas disco for two large parties. As we value peace and quiet, it wasn't looking good.

Fortunately, we'd stayed once before, so we knew which side of the hotel was to the windward, and also furthest from the party venue. Despite the storm and the partying, we slept entirely without disturbance.

A deluxe room is worth the premium, and the vast buffet style breakfast could not be improved.

Room Tip: Go for a first floor room, as far as possible from Reception.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
SalesOffice382, Guest Relations at The Heights Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2016

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that your stay was an enjoyable one. We are pleased that our Reception team were able to advise you about potential disturbance, however we always try to minimise this by allocating rooms according to availability. Breakfast is scrummy isn't it? We're pleased you had a good time. Please book your next stay now and we'll offer you a cracking deal.

Reviewed December 31, 2015

I'm from Portland and apart from my engagement party being held here way back in 1986, I can't believe it was that long ago and the odd couple of afternoon teas I've enjoyed I've not actually stayed at the hotel. That was until my husband booked us to stay for 2 nights Christmas & Boxing day on a B&B basis. We were here visiting family.

We were able to check in early Christmas morning with our bags, the room was ready. He requested a quiet room, which it was on the ground floor at the back which was great for us because we could keep the window open as it was so warm and that was without the heating being on! And yes it was quiet, room number 104. It was clean, comfortable, spacious and as a little surprise a box of Cadbury chocolate biscuits was waiting a lovely festive treat I thought. There was also 2 bottles of complimentary water if you wanted them. You could purchase more if required. We had tea/coffee making facilities, toiletries provided if you wanted to use them a great shower over the bath, perfect. Quite honestly I don't think you could have asked for more.

That was until we went for breakfast Boxing day morning. What a delight! A nice Duty Manager greeted us and showed us to our table. Of course being a local I'm used to the views but you don't appreciate it until you move away and then return. You will be hard pushed to beat it even on a miserable misty day like it was.

My husband is a Head Chef so I know good quality food when I see and taste it. There was plenty of choice, well cooked buffet style so you could eat as much or as little as you like. The juices, cereals and pastries were lovely and a bonus the teapots didn't even leak, or not the ones we had anyway. All of the above was repeated the following morning. There was just no hustle & bustle it was simply an enjoyable experience and I couldn't recommend it enough. You have done Portland proud!!

However, I was a little disappointed to observe the outdoor swimming pool was no more. Not that I ever used it but I think it should be reinstated. Given that it was December and so mild if the pool was there and heated I would have been straight in. Bring back the pool is what I say.

Thanks to all for a very relaxing albeit brief stay, keep up the good work!!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
SalesOffice382, Guest relations at The Heights Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2016

Thank you for your kind comments, we appreciate your feedback. At The Heights, we strive to exceed your expectations, with this occasion being no exception. We thank you for your extended comments on our food also. Chef does prepare a great selection to enjoy and we are glad that this was a good experience for you. As you rightly mentioned, the view is great whatever the weather. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Don't forget, our best rates are available over the phone. We look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed December 15, 2015

The hotel is a flat roofed structure with a commanding position overlooking the Portland causeway, Weymouth harbour and Chesil beach. This is the fantastic view that you have from the restaurant, but as far as I could tell, none of the accommodation enjoys a sea view. Both rooms used by my party had patio doors looking out on to a courtyard and the maid kindly unlocked a communicating door between the two which was very convenient. Access to the rooms is via a contactless card systems. There is plenty of parking (don't miss the fossilised tree trunks near the car park) and the hotel foyer also acts as the Portland Tourist Information Centre. The selection on the restaurant menu is reasonable and the quality of the food good is good. Wine is available by the glass. Prices are quite high - hence 3 out of 5 instead of 4.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
SalesOffice382, Guest Relations at The Heights Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2015

Thanks for staying at The Heights, we value your feedback. We are delighted that your stay was a comfortable one, and look forward to your swift return. Don't forget - book now for the best rates!

Reviewed December 14, 2015

Stayed here last weekend for just the one night. Superbly furnished room on the first floor with an extra wide bed which made for a very comfortable nights sleep. The buffet breakfast was excellent and included a rare treat - fried bread! Would be more than happy to stay again - hopefully in better weather so we can enjoy the view.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your feedback. We are delighted that your stay was an enjoyable one. We do pride ourselves on excellent quality throughout, with your stay being no exception. We are pleased you enjoyed the breakfast. They are great aren't they! Come back soon. Book now for the best rates guaranteed!

Reviewed December 11, 2015

During a sight seeing visit to Portland Island we felt in need of an energy top up particularly as it was a chilly blustery day. We chose 'The Hieghts' since its location, approximatelly 375 ft above sea level gives stunning views of the island, Weymouth and The Chesil Beach. The views did not disappoint and neither did 'The Hieghts'. We both chose our own particular taste in coffee (Cappuccino & Black) and my partner chose, very seasonably, a Cranberry Scone which was large, hot and served with butter and jam. Meanwhile I delighted at the hot 'Dorset Doorstep' again served with butter and jam - YUMMY ! Despite bein extremely busy with what appeared to be a a convenction group the service was fairly quick ( the slight wait allowed us to admire the view through the panoramic windows overlooking t'The Chesil' without our eyes watering in the wind. The Staff were smart and friendly and we felt that we were wanted. The hotel looked smart and clean and I should think its standards would equal, at the very least, those that we enjoyed.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
SalesOffice382, Guest Relations at The Heights Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2015

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback and are delighted to see that your recent visit was an enjoyable one.

Please do come and visit us again soon.