Ballygally Castle, just north of Larne on the Antrim Coast, was the perfect stop for us on our journey to Belfast. All that lies between the hotel and the Irish Sea is the road and a carpark – so the views are lovely. We had an executive room, which was spacious and comforable - the beds in all of our experiences of Hastings Hotels have been very comfy! The breakfast was the usual Hastings tasty fare, including the option of a Bushmill's porridge (a shot of whiskey, cream and honey - very tasty indeed!).
We didn't try the restaurant for an evening meal, but the bar was a nice place to relax of an evening, although a few loud and inebriated guests made our stay a short one - we retreated to our room to avoid the raucous and sexist jokes they were sharing (not just with each other, but the whole bar) - no fault of the hotel, of course, just people being . . . well, themselves!
Make sure you make the effort to climb the stairs to the 'haunted tower' - where a previous wife of an owner was either pushed or jumped to her death (depending on which story you go with!). Adds to the atmosphere!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the scenic Antrim coast only 26 miles from Belfast and close to Larne, the Ballygally Castle faces the sandy beaches of Ballygally Bay. The Castle dates back to 1625 and is the only 17th Century building still used as a residence in Northern Ireland today. This enchanting hotel is full of character and charm. The many original castle features and antique furnishings also give the hotel a unique welcoming atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Ballygally Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ballygally Castle Hotel Ballygally
- Castle Hotel Ballygally
- Ballygally Castle Northern Ireland