“Holiday meal”

Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Anstruther
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Small unique Scottish Restaurant tucked away just off the main street in Anstruther. A historic little restaurant in the heart of the East Neuk. Was once used as a store by fishermen for there fishing nets. And also used as a smokehouse and cooperage. It was converted into a Restaurant over 40 years ago, and is now owned by local Chef Billy Boyter and his family. The Restaurant also has a small bar selling locally produced beer and a good selection of Scottish Gins and Whiskies.
Reviewed 18 August 2017

I'd read about this restaurant on Trip and read the reviews and thought I would book it for a treat on our summer holiday. I did call before hand to see if we could bring our six year old child and the said it would be fine for lunch. When we arrived staff were very friendly and helpful. we chose from the menu, there never rushed us ( as some restaurants do sometimes when you are with children. The food was amazing, interesting and full of flavour. The waitress explained each course to all of us. my husband and I thought our daughter would not it (hoping I think) but she tried everything and enjoy trying new flavours. it was a great experience. I wish I had had the wine matching to go with it.

3  Thank nic d

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Revisited a year after my last rapturous review. It's still just as good! Meticulously prepared dishes that really open your eyes to the skill involved in creating and combining striking flavours.
Friendly, relaxed service. Faultless. And not expensive for what you get, appropriately priced I'd say.

3  Thank greave2016
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Wonderful, absolutely wonderful, food. Highest quality. Cannot praise the tastes created highly enough. Front of house personnel very pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable too. Recommended if you wish to sample top class cuisine.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Set menu for £60 was incredible good value for this quality of tasting menu. Every course was interesting and delicious, served on local Crail Pottery plates and bowls.
Matching wines were £50, once again , interesting and flavoursome and great measures.
Service was very efficient but would be better if it was more relaxed and engaging.
We booked an early table but felt first few courses were too rushed.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

This was our second visit to the Cellar in Anstruther on a particularly cold and windy July day. We had driven from Edinburgh in plenty of time to have a coastal walk before lunch. This restaurant is absolutely delightful from the understated luxury of the sitting area to the superb menu for their Summer Lunch. Only a few choices on the menu but the quality and presentation was excellent and it felt such a treat. From the sea trout amuse bouche to the rabbit with an amazing pea puree, to the crab and courgette jelly with almond foam and onto the main course of halibut with mussels, a smoked bacon cream and pan fried gem lettuce, a lovely cheese board with all local cheeses and a beetroot chutney, the whole meal was prepared and served with incredible attention to detail. A truly memorable meal in a lovely restaurant which not enough people seem to know about. Thanks so much to the chef and his staff for making my birthday visit so special.

2  Thank trinity2015