“Birthday lunch”

Ranked #8 of 22 Restaurants in Lossiemouth
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

Took my daughter here for her birthday lunch. Great atmosphere in this place and helpful friendly staff. My daughter and I chose 6 dishes of tapas, all dishes were well cooked and presented. Both had sweet which was absolutely delish. Lunch was £48 with a bottle of wine. Good value. Would definitely return and recommend.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed October 9, 2018 via mobile

I dined here on a quiet Tuesday night with my mum and dad. Seated straight away and given menus, the music was very loud and the strange array of lights they have are blinding and distracting. It was cold out the night we visited and the waitresses had propped open he door while they moved chairs in/out. Upon asking if the door could be closed we were barked at that they were moving chairs.
We ordered drinks and starters and mains, one recommend by the waitress.
I had Cullen Skink and my mum the three Scottish pudding starters. My serving was very small and not flavourful my mum enjoyed hers. Our mains arrived, my mum the Italian Job burger, me a chicken and prawn curry dish and my dad the Pollo Risotto. My mum again enjoyed hers, my dish was tepid at best but my dad found a hair in his risotto.
Upon telling the waitress she was very apologetic. She didn’t remove the dish straight away but went on serving another table. She took it away and asked if he wanted something else. He plumped for the same burger as my mum. He enjoyed this and ate it but I was put off and only ate half of mine.
My mum and myself finished ours but my dad had just started his. My mum decided to get a coffee while we waited and called over a waitress who gave her a dirty look and said she’d be with her in a second but ignored us until my mum placed her order with a second waitress. The original waitress then came over and asked how she could help. My mum explained she’d already ordered and the woman said fine and walked off leaving two dirty plates on the table. When my dad had finished she then came over and asked if we’d like desserts or coffees. We explained we’d ordered coffees and she then cleared the table.
Upon paying they didn’t discount any of my dads meals and when he queried this the waitress told him that he’d had another meal instead. A total disappointment and certainly won’t be going back there soon.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

Garlic mushrooms sautéed in garlic served on toasted Italian bread topped with rocket and Parmesan. Tasty but quite greasy and the bread was far too soggy.

Morag Firth scampi served with hand cut chips, salad, peas and tartare sauce. It was okay, chips were good. Salad had dressing on it but not mentioned on menu. Couldn’t eat it...waste of food. Lasagne was okay.

The service was friendly and efficient.

It’s a lovely wee venue.

Reviewed September 5, 2018

Forty-five minute wait for food (not at all busy so no excuse) to be given what was frozen fish (saw the guy go back into the kitchen with the packet) served undercooked. Whilst another meal offered we didn’t fancy another long wait so left.

Reviewed September 4, 2018 via mobile

Salt, La Caverna, Bridge 45, Guidi’s, whatever.

It appears to go by all or at least most of these names. The link on TA takes you to a web site called salt cellar, various signage and 2 entrances suggest any of the above names, and our eftpos receipt says we dined at “Guidi’s & Smugglers”.

Great location, probably not so inviting on a wet & windy winters night, but tonight was mild & almost balmy. It’s a delightful space, full of (un-mentioned) history and character.

2 of our waiting staff were delightful, a couple of others less so. No names because there were no name badges.

When we entered we were told to just sit anywhere, and the menu was brought to us. I had to ask for the wine list as this wasn’t offered. No drinks list was offered.

When we ordered I was told that the herrings on the ‘specials’ list weren’t available. It would have been nice to have been informed of that up front. Our entrees were both very enjoyable but unfortunately my fish main was very dry and I ate very little of it. Only when our plates were cleared were we asked how things were, I mentioned that the fish was very dry - no comment from our waiter.

Also, after we had ordered, we overheard other guests being directed to a specials board that hadn’t been pointed out to us (and was behind me).

All of this backed by the soundtrack of a female voice from the kitchen barking orders/instruction at someone.

Overall, a very unprofessional and disappointing experience. All the more so as we have enjoyed our stay in ‘Lossie’ very much.

There is a very real opportunity here for someone to do it right.