“Seamill Hydro - step back in time.”
Review of Seamill Hydro

Seamill Hydro
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West Kilbride
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Seamill Hydro - step back in time.”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Recently stayed at the Hydro for an overnight stay with my husband.

Paid an extra £15 for a seaview room (which came with free scaffolding as the hotel is have a seaview extension on the groun floor).

The seaview room came complete with 1980's decor, very dated an very tired looking. Very old fashioned peach bathroom suite, very thin and worn towels.

On a positive note, the restaurant was lovely.

Would I stay here again, probably not unless I knew it had an internal makeover.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Squeezy67_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Scotland
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Had 2 nights in the main building in a room which was a little bit tired but perfectly acceptable.
It was on the !st floor above the building works for the new Orangery - not a major problem. My husband said that men were working from 8am but they did not waken me.
Food and service excellent. Everywhere very clean. Massage at the Salon was excellent.
Certainly worth the extra for the seaview.
Not been there for a few years but will certainly be back again soon.

Room Tip: Seaview definitely worth the extra
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Nice welcome, had a beautiful sea view room exlarge bed with dvd,cd,fridge large bath and shower. Romantic dinner with my husband top class service our meal was so delicious scallops with blackpudding and salad,soup,mint chops with a red wine sauce carrots and roast potatoes,chicken with leek creamy sauce, raspberry bread and butter pudding,banoffee. top marks to the chief outstanding food. restaurant bar staff were so friendly and happy. other bar ok. pool area was clean. my only complaint was i was looking forward to a lie in banging started after 8.30 and only got louder due to the extention work this made me quiet angry felt like a hammer was being used in the room below had no warning. Breakfast was good staff were helpful and there was loads of choice. checkout was disappointing as we were not asked how our stay was although the man in front did. romantic walk down the beach was lovely before going home to our babies. will return again with family once all building works are complete.

Room Tip: sea view was beautiful
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
lanarkshire
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Visited this hotel as a very last minute deal on the 19th February at an extremely good price.. Hotel has some renovations going on which according to the blueprints on display will look great when finished, The hotel is right at the beach with lovely grounds. The check in was quick and welcoming, We were shown direction to the elavator and some time later the staff member remembered our name which was a personal touch. Our room was a refurbished room above the swimming pool, overlooking the car park and service delivery area, no problems with noise. The room was lovely and a good size even though it was an attic room, the bathroom was nice and very little sighn of wear and tear, it also had a fridge. The pool area was nice and warm although the jaccuzzi was pool temperature so a bit on the cool side. The sauna and steam room were lovely. We didnt eat at the hotel other than breakfast, but the menu and dining room looked very nice. Breakfast was of a good choice and definately no complaints there. Staff were really nice and helpfull. Location was great with stunning views over to Arran. Lots of nice beach walks. We had a lovely time and would definatey return.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the car park to the main road, we were on the 2nd floor which was quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holly010
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I've stayed here many times before and to be honest, I've never had a bad time, but it's never been great either. However, this last weekend was just brilliant so I felt it only fair to share my experience.

From the nicely refurbished room with huge bed, great tv and lovely bathroom facilities, overlooking the sea (what a view of Arran, the snow topped mountains were breathtaking) to the unbelievably helpful staff at our function, the weekend was just brilliant.

Having been to many weddings and parties and other functions here over the years, something drastic has changed in terms of the "function" food too. Previously we have had very poor experience with functions in terms of the food, with dry, bland, badly cooked items; but this weekend's was like night and day - the food was fresh, perfectly cooked (in most cases) and delicious. I hold back my praise for the desserts tho - the sticky toffee pudding had obviously been microwaved which was a disappointment - perhaps the people preparing the desserts are not putting as much effort in as the chefs preparing the mains and starters - this is something which you should look at, since the dessert is obviously the last thing people remember and should reflect the standard of the rest of the food.

The staff really deserve high praise for the organisation of the function too, since they had everything under control and well organised. Big thanks to Martin for being probably the most sensible, pragmatic and organised of managers! Without him, the function wouldn't have been half as good!

There are two other items of criticism I would have (apart from the desserts) which I think are constructive - 1. I did see some of the other un-refurbished rooms and while they're perfectly adequate, they really have seen better days. Interesting that the hotel is currently undergoing some renovation work at the moment to create a new Orangery (which will undoubtedly be lovely) but I wonder if the remaining bedrooms will get the makeover they so badly need? Surely this is where the majority of profit is made in the hotel industry?
and 2. My lovely room was right above the Pladda Lounge Bar and on Friday night when I went to have an early night (at 11.30pm, not so early really!) there was a pub quiz going on below, and with the power and volume of the sound system and music, I could hear everything far too clearly in my room. I could not sleep until it finished at 12 (which was a blessed relief from the booming bass notes and ridiculous commentary from the host), which I thought was far too late, when there are clearly sound-proofing issues with the rooms above.

Anyway, would highly recommend this hotel for an event, but ask for a refurbished room on the second floor, or away from the Pladda Bar if you're staying!

Room Tip: Second floor sea view rooms should be quieter if you want an early night. Ask for a refurbished roo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Le_Clara
Carlisle, England
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My husband booked a weekend at the Seamill Hydro as a surprise birthday present. To add to my surprise when we got there, my daughters and their husbands were also there which made the weekend even better.

The rooms overlooked the sea and we had wonderful views of Arran - when the weather allowed us. We had refurbished rooms which were excellent. The breakfasts were excellent and the staff very attentive. The pool was lovely.

There is some building work going on at the moment but it didn't affect our stay at all and I am sure having seen the plans which were displayed, that all the inconvenience that they are having to cope with will all be worthwhile.

I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms have a wonderful view of the Firth of Clyde looking over towards Arran.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I received a voucher for the hotel for Christmas and managed to get a room booked although did have to pay an extra £15 for a twin room (was there with a friend). The room had not been upgraded which was a little disappointing and there was work going on under our first floor window (restaurant extention I think). We had access to the spa which was good although the jacuzzi was cold! We booked into the Aura restaurant and the staff there were extremely attentive and helpful. The food was stunning, We shared our starters which were lovely. I then had the Moules et Frites and my friend had the gratin of smoked haddock. Both meals were absolutely delicious! It was the highlight of our stay. Neither of us slept very well and I put this down to high winds. It was very noisy due to this so no a restful sleep.
Overall a lovely hotel and would like to stay in a refurbished room the next time.

Room Tip: Try and ensure you have a refurbished room. Definitely book into the Aura Restaurant, it was gorgeo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Willowbank Hotel
#1 of 3 in Largs
15.7 km away
Hallmark Hotel Irvine

Been to Seamill Hydro? Share your experiences!