All reviews shared bathroom continental breakfast victoria room walk in wardrobe yogurt warm pastries on arrival complimentary bottle of wine beautiful room co op poster bed a great nights sleep choice of cereals early check large tv lovely night would definitely stay here again
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We stayed here for two nights in October to attend a wedding at Comrie Croft, which is nearby. When we arrived, we couldn't get in, as the owners do not live onsite. We had to phone and wait for someone to arrive and check us in.

We had a double room with a shared toilet. This wasn't a good idea, especially as other wedding guests on our floor were sharing this toilet, and everybody needed a shower on the morning of the wedding. I wouldn't usually book anywhere with shared facilities, but it was a last minute decision to attend the wedding, so there wasn't much choice.

As far as the decor goes, this place looks like it was decorated by one of Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen's handymen in a 1990's episode of 'Changing Rooms'. It's full of fake gilt and home-made MDF furniture - a faux baroque nightmare! It's a shame that such a beautiful old building has been decorated with such an outstanding lack of taste!

That said, it was clean enough, and the breakfast was fine. I don't think I would stay here again though.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed March 31, 2018

I really shouldn't even be writing this as we didn't even manage to stay here ! We booked for early March, but due to severe adverse weather conditions and my father being admitted to hospital I tried to cancel our stay. I appreciate that this was two days before our booking, but due to travel warnings I would have thought that the owner would be a little sympathetic ? It appears that as soon as she has the voucher code any negotiation goes out the window, I have emailed groupon and await their reply .....

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

Don’t take of the risk of booking this place. The owner was happy to take payment in advance, cancel the booking 3 hours before our arrival and left us stranded.

I booked this B&B by email to stay for one night with my wife after a music event in Edinburgh. The booking information we received had Terms and Conditions clearly stating 'check in from 4pm' - there was nothing about having to negotiate a check in time with the owner in advance or about a 6pm deadline for check in. The owner texted us the night before our stay requesting us to check in between 4-6pm and I replied that we were at an music event all day and would not be there till 8-8.30pm. Next day got a text at 3pm saying that due to childcare issues and the owner not living on site that we would not be able to stay until unless we got there by 6pm. Left us stranded and having to pay over the odds for last minute accommodation in Edinburgh.... you might also have guessed that as we had payed in advance the owner treated it is as a 'no show' on our part and we did not get a refund

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HexhamFamilyMann
Reviewed February 18, 2018

Myself, my wife and wee boy had a 3 day stay at this charming wee hidden gem in Crieff. My wife had booked the Diana Suite for us to stay and it was impressive in terms of size and traditional decor. Breakfast was adequate (.....I've read some negative reports on the breakfast but, to be fair to the owners, it's clearly advertised aa a Continental breakfast and that's what we got !!) Prior to arrival, the town of Crieff had suffered a power cut and Maxine was really nice in telephoning us to give us advance notice of this but she did state that it should be back on by the time we arrived.....a nice touch with the phone call and power was all back on when we arrived. I can't comment on the 3 rooms upstairs but I did hear some negativity due to the shared bathroom and not everyone sharing the same levels of hygiene and consideration !! However, as our suite was the only room on the first floor, I couldn't fault the room in any way. Maxine was also really helpful and contributed to making our first stay in Crieff a very enjoyable one. If staying at this accommodation, I'd definitely recommend the Diana Suite. All in all, an enjoyable 3 day stay at The Victoria House.

Room Tip: Diana Suite on the First Floor is lovely
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2018 via mobile

The general opinion we received from our stay was that the owners have lost all interest in this B&B. It has so much potential, the location is great and on first look the room looked impressive with high ceilings, large bed, walk in wardrobe and large ensuite.... But we soon realised the room had not been cleaned. The lovely chunky mirrors, furniture and pictures were thick with dust, the pillow cases were stained, thick dust and dirt under radiator. We did not have a shower, which we knew on arrival, however the bath did not have a plug to fit the plug hole, and once we managed to wash ourselves we found the towels were rough and had a heavy musky damp smell. Maybe if we had received new towels on the second night I may have been able to forgive it as a mistake, however our room was not cleaned and our towels not replaced, so the second day we dried ourselves with the used smelly towels again. I understand you must be wondering why we didn't approach the owner... If she made herself available we would, however she successfully avoided all contact with her guests and did not live on site. Breakfast.... If you could call it breakfast, consisted of water in a geyser (not nearly hot enough for tea), the cheapest of cereals (I tried to eat them- not good), bread, croissants (fresh one day, hard as rock on second day) marmalade (no jams) and margarine (no butter) and orange juice. The food was all set out and the manager happily locked herself in the kitchen out of the way before guests arrived for breakfast. Again the breakfast room was impressive, high ceilings and a large breakfast table, so no complaints on our surroundings. Also breakfast is only available for a 45 minute slot in the morning and not as advertised. To summerise the building, contents and location are all great. The cleanliness, food and services disgraceful. I would not be surprised if the original owners have retired and they people they left it to either have no interest or not idea of how to run a B&B which is such a pity as this property has so much potential

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple