“Great hospitality”
Review of Smoo Cave Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Durness
Smoo Cave Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Durness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We did not stay at Smoo Cave Hotel but on a wet, windy day we dropped in for a hot drink and we were pleasantly surprised. Warm, bright and really cheerful staff it was the perfect antidote for the miserable day outside. We decided to go back after visiting Smoo Cave and had a great lunch which was reasonably priced and for the time of year plenty of choice. The other great point about Smoo Cave Hotel is that it was actually open and on our tour of the Highlands we had found most places closed until next season, difficult when you stay in bed & breakfast's and need something to eat.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jan8tt8

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Initial impressions are not good. The hotel has been unsympathetically extended over the years, but the exterior hardly matters. Three of us checked in and were all shown to fresh, modern rooms with decent en-suite shower rooms. We met in the bar for food and drink, and the juke box was too loud, more in keeping with the hotel's other role as the local boozer. The pool table was in constant use by a group of locals, and yes, they tended to swear a bit, not that I'm bothered. The draught Guinness was very good.
When food arrived, we were very pleasantly surprised. It is pub grub at it's very best, and the chef obviously takes great pride in her cooking.
Ventilation in the kitchen is poor, and frying smells were quite strong.
And please, turn down the jukebox!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank ZoomAberdeen
Reviewed 26 September 2011

My wife and I were touring the north of Scotland in early September in particularly inclement weather. Smoo Cave was closed because of the heavy rain, so we decided to have a meal and spotted Smoo Cave Hotel close by. We arrived mid afternoon expecting a limited choice, but our host was friendly and very obliging and offered a wide variety of food. We had soup, my wife had scampi and I had haggis, neeps and tatties. The food was very good, served hot and in hearty portions. In addition to an excellent meal when we got the bill, we were very pleased at the reasonable price of the meal.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Smoo Cave so much the first time, that we had to include it in our Honeymoon this past July. We are very glad that we did. The hotel is Spotless. The rooms have everything that you need, including a very comfortable bed, and an amazing view. We always enjoy our time there, especially in the pub. It is amazing to share a pint with the locals and fellow travelers, and just enjoy the Charms of the North Coast of Scotland.
The Staff is friendly, and the food is delicious (and very nicely priced for the quality). We Highly reccomend this hotel, and we will definitely be back.
Thank you!
-The Grammers

Room Tip: We were able to book our room by e-mailing directly.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darlinmace
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We were staying locally and decided to have dinner at the hotel. The barman, who unfortunately doubled as our waiter was rude and aggressive right from the start. He seemed to go out of his way to spoil our evening. Taking orders late and then announcing we couldn't have what we asked for, my fresh haddock was anything but and completely inedible., he accused me of not knowing what fresh fish tasted like! It was a disaster and I hope the proprietor has had the good sense to sack the waiter and employ a better chef.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank LincolnshireAlison
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Our room was newly refurbished and spotlessly clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The room was VERY small with not even a chair or table, so any reading or computer usage had to be done in the dining room. Happily there were comfortable places to sit there and adequate light. We ate dinner there and our seafood selections were very good. We could also walk to the Smoo Cave, the big attraction in the town. It is definitely 'no frills', but the staff is friendly and cheerful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GinnyH_11
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I stayed at the Smoo Cave Hotel during my tour of the Scottish Highlands in July 2011. I had not made any reservations beforehand, so I just walked in, and luckily they had a room available.

The room I was allocated – room #5 – was situated in the back of the building along a small corridor behind the dining room. The room had been recently renovated and all of the furniture seemed to be brand new. There was no working desk or chair in the room, but they were not needed either. Everything, including the renovated bathroom, was clean.

The building has BT Wi-Fi service, and free access codes are available from the staff.

Some earlier reviewers commented on noise and rude language. I noticed no such issues. Actually the pub seemed quite quiet compared to many other establishments I visited during my tour. The food served was really good and reasonably priced.

Full Scottish breakfast was available in the morning with the blood budding and all. The breakfast was served by a really nice older lady.

All in all, the stay was nice and I would stay at Smoo Cave hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank THO_Finland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durness
19.8 km away
Ben Loyal Hotel
#2 of 4 in Tongue
0.5 km away
Durness Smoo Youth Hostel

Been to Smoo Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!